Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return for stand alone

Old 02-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Return for stand alone

I am building my stand alone. I have a 1 gallon aluminum cell with a red holley pump. From what I red they said at a low pressure I won't need a return. The pump I have is max 7psi. Should I still run a return or should I be fine?
Old 02-17-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

In carb applications (not Nitrous) I never ran a return system and never had an issue, Most never even had a regulator.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 02-17-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

This is from Holleys own instructions
12-801-1
Red Electric Fuel pump, Street Perf.
97 gph (free flow) 67 gph at 5 psi
Regulator not required for most applications

712-801-1
Red Electric Fuel Pump, Marine
97 gph (free flow) 67 gph at 5 psi
Regulator not required for most applications
Old 02-18-2016, 05:37 AM
Launching!

So pretty much no regulator = no return is what they are saying.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-18-2016, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

We are the in the same situation with our C5 but instead of using a 1-gallon tank I have to use a 1-quart because of limited space and I'm also going to use the blue Holley pump which comes with a regulator. I did a lot of research and am not going to use a return line either.

Scott
Old 02-18-2016, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info tar heel. I think I am still going to use a regulator anod gauge so I can dial in the exact pressure to possibly help with the tuning side of things.

Appreciate the help guys
Old 02-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Does anyone see a problem with mounting all of this in the back of the car. Where the t-tops go in? As long as I vent it properly.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't see a problem with that as several guys do. Wouldn't it be easier/safer/cheaper to locate it in the engine compartment? I know the F-bodies have a ton more room than the Corvettes so that shouldn't be an issue!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Launching!

I have a 1 gallon cell. With a external pump. I don't really want to relocate the battery due to having to install the switch threw the rear of the car. So I figured I would just put the stand alone in the rear. One guy said it may not be legal to run at the track due to having fuEl in the car with you..but he didn't know.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know when the NHRA Stock Eliminator guys with F-bodies put the fuel in the rear area they have to build some type of metal shield to protect the driver. I do know it can be done but you have some rules to consider. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with fuel in the cockpit in the case of a rollover, leak, etc.

Have you considered a smaller fuel cell? I'm restricted on space so I'm going to use a 1-quart Moroso aluminum overflow container.

Scott
Old 02-23-2016, 04:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

1:5 FUEL SYSTEMS Location: All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves, etc. must be outside of the driver’s compartment and within the confines of the frame and/or steel body. Cool cans, fuel-distribution blocks, etc. must be located at least 6 inches forward of the flywheel/bellhousing area on rear-wheel-drive (RWD) vehicles, and on opposite side of flywheel/housing area on front-wheel-drive (FWD) vehicles. Fuel pressure gauge isolators, with steel braided line, may be mounted on firewall.
A quick search

I have a cell, battery, and a bottle in the trunk.....had to "seal off" (build a real fire wall)
Old 03-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Launching!

I am going to mount the standalone in where the two tops go. What size line are you guys running from stand alone to pump and pump to solonoid? The stand alone has 8an bungs welded into the tank which seem really large. Also will be running a low pressure pump 5-7psi
Old 03-04-2016, 08:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

6an lines should be adequate. A return is really easy to set up and can result in more even fuel pressure. You can see some dead headed regulators pressure creep and then drop down to normal range when your fuel solenoid opens. Let us know if you need some help!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon@nitrousoutlet
6an lines should be adequate. A return is really easy to set up and can result in more even fuel pressure. You can see some dead headed regulators pressure creep and then drop down to normal range when your fuel solenoid opens. Let us know if you need some help!
Brandon,

In regards to your Fbody stand alone for the fuse panel area... Does your kit need a return line? It looks as if it just dead heads from the regulator to the noid... And there are 3 open ports on the regulator... One would go to the noid, the other gets capped and what about the other? Does that one get capped also?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2016, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 455GTO
Brandon,

In regards to your Fbody stand alone for the fuse panel area... Does your kit need a return line? It looks as if it just dead heads from the regulator to the noid... And there are 3 open ports on the regulator... One would go to the noid, the other gets capped and what about the other? Does that one get capped also?

Thanks
That dedicated fuel system actually has the return built in. If you look at the bottom of the regulator, it has the return going back into the tank. Typically, you wont need to put a return from the solenoid to the tank. I always recommend for customers to run the line from the regulator to the solenoid as short as possible. if you need any help or have questions feel free to ask!

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Return for stand alone