Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer jug for dedicated fuel cell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washer jug for dedicated fuel cell?

Hey guys I'm in the early stages of planning out a dedicated fuel system for my car. I'm not interested in relocating the battery so I was looking for other options for the cell. I haven't had the washer bottle in my car for quite some time but found it sitting on the shelf. So I was thinking if it would work, the washer bottle would be compact and ideal. But I had a couple questions first.

Has anyone attempted to do this?
I plan on using the Holley blue pump, since the tank wouldn't be pressurized would this work in theory?
Are there any modifications I'd have to make for functionality or safety reasons?
Would it be in any way NHRA legal?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2016, 02:32 PM
9 Second Club

I'm not sure if cost is a factor for you. I would look at getting the Nitrous Outlet Fuse box area fuel system, before taking a change with a washer fluid bottle. It fits between fuse boxes and radiator it's nice, compact, works great, and you don't have to move the battery. I have this fuse box setup on my car, I really like it.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1320Chicken
Hey guys I'm in the early stages of planning out a dedicated fuel system for my car. I'm not interested in relocating the battery so I was looking for other options for the cell. I haven't had the washer bottle in my car for quite some time but found it sitting on the shelf. So I was thinking if it would work, the washer bottle would be compact and ideal. But I had a couple questions first.

I plan on using the Holley blue pump, since the tank wouldn't be pressurized would this work in theory?
Are there any modifications I'd have to make for functionality or safety reasons?

Thanks in advance
That is a great question! Subscribed for results ...

We have been contemplating the same idea but I'm wondering in the fuel will "eat" the plastic over time. My plan was to only have fuel in it on race day and then drain it before we left the track. I'm sure it would have to be vented somehow too.

Nitrous Outlet also makes a stand alone for our car as well but it's almost $1K and I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative which is why a Holley blue pump and windshield washer reservoir may be a better option.

Scott
Old 03-21-2016, 09:49 AM
FormerVendor

The Nitrous Outlet fuse panel dedicated fuel system starts at only $599.99. For the price you can't beat it; it's specific to your vehicle, includes a Deatschwerks DW200 (255LPH) pump, aeromotive regulator, and all lines/fittings/wiring necessary to get it up and going. One of the great things about it is that it's capable of running both high (45-60) or low fuel (3-20) pressure, and is fully adjustable. It really is a great solution for getting fuel to your system.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1320Chicken

Thanks in advance
Had a little down time today between things and did some research. I don't think you should try this. I'm not going to. Washer tank isn't designed for fuel and could leak several places causing a bad fire. Because I'm low on room and don't want to spend $1K I'm going to use a Moroso vacuum canister I believe. It's only 1-quart but will accept AN fittings, is vented and the top is very secure. Plus, it doesn't take up much room and is only like $100.

Scott
Old 03-21-2016, 07:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
Had a little down time today between things and did some research. I don't think you should try this. I'm not going to. Washer tank isn't designed for fuel and could leak several places causing a bad fire. Because I'm low on room and don't want to spend $1K I'm going to use a Moroso vacuum canister I believe. It's only 1-quart but will accept AN fittings, is vented and the top is very secure. Plus, it doesn't take up much room and is only like $100.

Scott
It's your car and your money, but this is flammable gas we are talking about. Is it really worth the risk of something gong wrong and causing damage to your car and possibly injuring you or a passenger. To save a couple bucks with a hack together fuel system?
Old 03-21-2016, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

I believe the fuse area system is my best bet. I initially had the same thoughts that I'd only have fuel in there for 5-6 hours at a shot and planned on dumping fuel in a spare tank to see what the effects were before moving forward. Before I even got that far I realized that there is no ideal pickup location since the bottom of the tank is pretty much flat. Just looking at it I felt there was too many modifications to make for it to be effective and for me to feel safe with it. I'm not exactly sure what type of plastic it is but I've seen tanks from other models get brittle over time. Leads me to believe at one point or another it will leak. Knowing my luck during a pass and sending fuel all over the engine bay. I just thought it would make a nice, clean, and simple system. Possibly fabricating a cell for that area could work, but still not worth the effort and probable cost. It would be one of those "look what I made" mods that would really just be for the sole purpose of making something.

Anyway with the ability to run either high or low pressure with the nitrous outlet kit, what determines how much pressure you should run? I understand that a low pressure system gives you more control when dialing in the AFR via the jets. Is that the primary reason or are certain delivery methods more effective with a high pressure feed vs low pressure or vice versa?
Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

Running the high pressure may give you a little bit better atomization of the fuel, and on boosted applications running high pressure is really the only way to go. Low pressure though, is much more tunable and forgiving. Generally, the jet size change from 45-55PSI is only 1 jet size, whereas going from 5-10PSI you may have a jet change with as much as 15 jet sizes depending on how much you're spraying. Also, pumps tend to flow more at lower pressure-
Old 03-25-2016, 06:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I am running a stand alone in my stroke'd C5Z.... Love it!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
I am running a stand alone in my stroke'd C5Z.... Love it!
Nice! Everything go good with the install on it?

Quick Reply: Washer jug for dedicated fuel cell?