Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about window switch/TPS activator & NOT spraying through gear changes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about window switch/TPS activator & NOT spraying through gear changes.

Forgive the title, can't think of a way to summarize it.

So the hypothetical setup:

Drive by wire throttle body
TPS activation module
Window switch
6L80E

Plan on installing a 150 wet plate, on my daily driver. Not looking for the absolute best times at the track, just have some "cheap" fun. I do not want to spray during gear changes to give the clutch packs a chance of surviving, even though the 6L80E is pretty strong.

What I've read online at various forums and websites, is to set the window switch anywhere from 200 to 500 RPM below your shift RPM. What has me concerned/asking this question is as the transmission starts to shift, say half way through shifting, the RPMs have dropped below the window switch's RPM limit, so spray will begin again. This would put unwanted stress on the clutch packs.

So how do you prevent spraying until the clutches are sufficiently engaged before spraying again?

Does the PCM actually close the throttle a little bit while shifting? If this is the case, the TPS activation module will do its job. If it does not, what's a guy to do? Just pray the tranny lasts?

I'm trying to do as much reading/research I can before asking questions, but I haven't come across this specific question being answered. Just the usual "set the window switch 200 RPM below your shift point."

Thanks for any input!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

I know the Nitrous Express Maximizer 4 controller can progress the nitrous in based on rpm. Not entirely sure for doing it at each gear change though. that tranny is pretty though and at 150 shot I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:44 PM

So you think if I shorten/"tighten" the shift speed a little it will hold ok? I'm assuming having it shift a little harder will minimize clutch slippage under power. If others concur that the 6L80 will hold it (assuming it is in good condition) that it will be ok, I may just not worry about it.

Quick Reply: Question about window switch/TPS activator & NOT spraying through gear changes.