Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Controller change, vs. Jet change for power level.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Controller change, vs. Jet change for power level.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of using a controller to make a power level change vs making a jet change?

My thoughts are of using a plate system (Nitrous Outlet, I love the hard lines), and it comes with jets to make power changes, however since I plan to use a NOS mini as a RPM window switch, and on the TPS, for system engagement, why wouldn't I just put the biggest jets (200 hp) in the throttle plate and have the controller engage to say 50% vs putting 100 hp jets in or 75% vs putting in 150 hp jets?

Will the solenoids burn out faster using a controller to pulsate them, like they do at anything less than full on, rather than just hold them wide open with a smaller jet for the same power level? Will it be as consistent performance wise using the larger jet, and a lower end percentage, as using a smaller jet, and a 100% end setting.

If I have the tuning correct at say 50% setting (100 hp) will it still be correct at 150, and 200? or anywhere in between, should I say want to do 70 or 80%? I understand I'd need to dial back timing a little more on the LNC for the bigger hit, but should the n2o/fuel ratio be correct at all percentages if its correct at one (I'll start with the 78/35 jets in the kit)?

The way I see it now my plan is, put the big jets and adjust with the controller, that way I can get exactly what I want for whatever bracket class I want to run ie, adjust the shot to run exactly 10.50 or 11.0 for a bracket class.(car runs 11.6s on motor). Or to just fender a given car on grudge night. I guess I'm just looking for someone with more experience using a controller, to let me know if this is a good or bad idea? Jet changes are simple, but don't offer as quick a change and precise a control as the controller method would appear to bring. The only down side, as I see it, is its temptation to shoot the full 200 shot since the jets are in there, and I'm still on the stock short block. (Although that may be a quick route to a new short block! Then I'll need bigger jets still).

I think both ways can get you to the same end point, but one way may be better than the other, that's what I'm trying to determine.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You never want to control how much you are spraying with a progressive controller. Not only will it cause premature wear and tear on your solenoids, but it will also not allow your tune-up to get clean. The nitrous is spraying at 900+ psi, and the fuel is only spraying at 58PSI, so as the solenoid chatters it tends to go lean. If you want to change the HP settings, it's best to change the jets and always run the progressive up to 100%.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is it harder on the motor to progress into a 200 shot pretty quickly to 100% or to just shoot a straight 200???
Old 09-28-2016, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info Andy, that was exactly what I was looking for. You saved me from making a mistake, in wanting to use the controller to limit power. I'll still use it, but just to ramp to 100%, and I'll probably do that in a second or less, to prevent chatter/lean condition. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not much of a nitrous guru, but like mentioned above I wouldn't just use the controller to hold back on a bigger shot. I would just put what pill you want to run and progress 100% into it within whatever time you want.

I also have been deciding on the nos mini. With the fragile ls1 motor, It's got to be a shock on the motor for lets say a 200 shot right out of the whole. At least if you ramp it all in within .7-.9 seconds or so, that would take away some of the shock/stress off the motor.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you are thinking about the progressive in the wrong way. 50% with a 200 hit does not equate to 100 hp being introduced. Its simply 50% duty cycle of the solenoid. As far as wearing out the solenoids with a progressive controller i say thats bs.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Yeah the jet flows what it is. So your progressive at 50% is 200 shot pulsating real fast. Would be hard to have a clean tune and is not a smooth power band.

Quick Reply: Controller change, vs. Jet change for power level.