Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

used N2O bottles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default used N2O bottles?

Can anyone see any problems with buying a used bottle if it can be bought cheap? Do N2O bottles have a date stamp that says they have to be retested after X number of years? Will NOS valves only go into NOS tanks or are all tanks made the same?

The reason I ask is if I can get a used bottle, I can have it dipped to take the old powder coat off, have it either polished or chrome plated, and install a new High Flow valve, all for less than I could buy a new polished bottle.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work at a fire and safety business. A nitrous bottle is the same type of cylinder as a aluminum CO2 fire ext. They are suppose to be hydrotested every 5 years but most places around here that fill them don't know or don't care about that. So if you can get a hold to a 10# alum CO2 fire ext you could bleed it down remove the valve and use it.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

The bottle(s) you may be looking at have all kinds of info on them. I would only buy a used bottle from someone I know. And it had to have been purchased new when they bought it. Several idiots out there heat the bottles with an open flame.
This will get the pressure up but it also changes the metal composition in that area and could create a stress point. Bottle heaters do not have that problem, they do not get as hot and have more coverage to spread the heat. IF YOU PURCHASE A USED BOTTLE (that you know has never had a flame on it) I HIGHLY RECOMEND HYDRO TESTING THE BOTTLE EVEN IF IT IS IN DATE.
After you purchase a used bottle rehydro it with all the freight It could be at the same cost as a new one.

If you chrome a bottle it will not pass hydro. the chrome will crack. Call Dave for pricing on a new polished bottle.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Launching!

I'd replace the blowoff valve as well. (the 3000psi cap)
Old 07-15-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good deal
Old 07-15-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

ok....I guess I'll just spend the extra $$$ and ge a new bottle....thanks guys