Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launching on a 200 shot

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Launching on a 200 shot

Hey guys having some trouble getting off the line in my 99 TA. Its nothing special just a stalled, 8.8 with 3.73, 28 mickey's with a progressive dry 200 shot. My questions is about knock retard and if I should just live with it. I have been trying to tune it out. I have colder plug's and run race gas already. 20.5 degrees of total timing at 11.4 AFR. I have the nitrous express EZ controller and I have to use a 1 second ramp to prevent the torque spike to eliminate the knock. Attached is my last log. You can see on the first hit it knocked and I let out. Then I adjusted the controller to 1 second and its gone. My problem is I need to get it down to the half second ramp so I can get out of the hole better. The knock goes away after the hit pretty consistently. Is that normal? Any ideas would be helpful. Just don't want to blow anything up.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
nos test 200.hpl (274.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 12:32 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

**** Knock Sensors
Old 04-12-2020, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I've seen knock sensors save a motor during a pull so I prefer to keep them unless the cam/drivetrain won't let you due to false knock. Assuming you don't have any type of LPE timing puller device, you could add an IAT tricker to only pull more timing at the hit on a momentary or something. Otherwise either pull more total timing or richen up the AFR and see if it fixes it.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I've seen knock sensors save a motor during a pull so I prefer to keep them unless the cam/drivetrain won't let you due to false knock. Assuming you don't have any type of LPE timing puller device, you could add an IAT tricker to only pull more timing at the hit on a momentary or something. Otherwise either pull more total timing or richen up the AFR and see if it fixes it.

Yea I tune it myself so really don't need any of that stuff. I'm wondering if I should bring the timing in slower. Adjusting the progressive controller always calms down the hit and reduces knock so the knock is legit. I just don't want to sacrifice power by tuning way to conservative if there is a better way. I want that big torque spike to flash the convertor a little more to pull a good 60ft.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Leave the progressive at half a second and richen it up or pull out a couple more degrees. Log the timing table on launch compared to down track. You may be in a different area of the map and can pull timing on launch without impacting WOT.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Leave the progressive at half a second and richen it up or pull out a couple more degrees. Log the timing table on launch compared to down track. You may be in a different area of the map and can pull timing on launch without impacting WOT.

Yea I just built a new tune and added some fuel right before the nitrous comes on. I was at 11.1 AFR on my log right when started knocking. So I don't want to add much more. Ill pull one degree under 4500rpm where she's knocking and let her ride.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Why 11.4 AFR?

Does it have a blower?
Old 05-09-2020, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by gotsboost
yea i just built a new tune and added some fuel right before the nitrous comes on. I was at 11.1 afr on my log right when started knocking. So i don't want to add much more. Ill pull one degree under 4500rpm where she's knocking and let her ride.
smh....

Quick Reply: Launching on a 200 shot