Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous laws

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwilson
LOL...I will keep you updated and thanks so much. We live in Northern Kentucky but he got in the hit and run in Cincinnati Ohio, and well I am sure all of you know about Cincy cops...lol...

I could see needing a permit. I will have to find out all the details and yes he does have a lawyer because he is a short term memory loss goofball. He got this ticket before we started dating. He was seeing someone else at the time that was dragging him down. Well needless to say he didnt pay the fine and then last month got pulled over for speeding (go figure) and they arrested him. So, with the nitrous charge I told him he needed to get a lawyer (not including the speeding ticket and another ticket he forgot to pay). Anyhoo, it will all get straightened out either that or I already warned him to be careful and not to drop the soap...teee...hee..heee thanks for the help
Where in No KY are you from?
Old 07-23-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are absolutely ZERO laws reguarding the use of nitrous on vehicles in the state of Florida. The only laws that even mention Nitrous are for controlled substances (medical grade) and for the transportation of large amounts. (55lbs+)
Old 07-23-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

sucks for your bf i got caught with it and he just told me to be more careful and strap it down. I had it laying in the seat
Old 07-23-2004, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
Where did you hear that load of ****. In MD you can carry nitrous all day long in your vehicle if it is under 50lbs. Over 50lbs you have to have a placard. It is NOT illegal to transport nitrous and you dont need a sticker or placard unless it is over 50lbs. It is illegal to USE nitrous in MD so they may get you if it is hooked up because that shows intent.

It has nothing to do with being an illegal power adder either. Power adders are not illegal. It is illegal when you use something that states it is legal for offroad use only, could be a bumper higher than 18" nothing to do with poweradders.
You are saddly mistaken!!! Whomever you go your information from is full of **** and needs to try reading a law book before spreading misinformation. As stated this is a 5 point ticket that you can be nailed for. This came directly from the Maryland Annotated Code 2004 edition. Please kindly send $200 to my pay pal account for your legal consultation. Here is an exact copy of that law.

§ 22-404.5. Power booster systems prohibited; exceptions.

(a) Definitions.- In this section, "power booster system" means any device installed in a motor vehicle which allows liquid nitrous oxide to combine with gasoline for the purpose of increasing engine power.

(b) Use prohibited.- Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not operate on a highway a motor vehicle equipped with a power booster system.

(c) Exceptions.- A person may operate on a highway a motor vehicle equipped with a power booster if:

(1) The vehicle is enroute to or from a track where the vehicle is used for racing and the power booster system is inoperative; or

(2) The container of nitrous oxide has been removed from the vehicle.

(d) Identification decal.- Every motor vehicle equipped with a power booster system shall be identified with a decal that:

(1) Is a diamond shaped design consisting of the words "Compressed Gas D.O.T. No. 1070" in silver scotchlite letters 1 inch high on a black background with a silver scotchlite border;

(2) Is issued by the Office of the Fire Marshal or from a nitrous oxide industry source; and

(3) Is attached to the left front and right rear bumper of the vehicle.

(e) Regulations authorized.- The Office of the Fire Marshal may adopt regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of this section.

(f) Fee for decal.- The Office of the Fire Marshal or nitrous oxide industry source that issues the vehicle identification decal may charge a fee for the issuance of a vehicle identification decal not to exceed the reasonable cost of preparation and distribution.

[1989, ch. 299, § 2.]
Old 07-23-2004, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Oh yeah...I forgot to show you where the points come into play. See line (20) states (20) Any violation of § 22-404.5 of this article .................5 points. Article 22-404.5 is what i listed above.

§ 16-402. Assessment of points.

(a) Points enumerated.- After the conviction of an individual for a violation of Title 2, Subtitle 5, § 2-209, or § 3-211 of the Criminal Law Article, or of the vehicle laws or regulations of this State or of any local authority, points shall be assessed against the individual as of the date of violation and as follows:

(1) Any moving violation not listed below and not contributing to an
accident .................................................. ...........1 point

(2) Following another vehicle too closely ........................2 points

(3) Speeding in excess of the posted speed limit by 10 miles an hour or
more .................................................. ..............2 points

(4) Driving with an improper class of license ....................2 points

(5) Failing to stop for a school vehicle with activated alternately
flashing red lights .................................................3 points

(6) Any violation of § 21-1111 of this article ...................2 points

(7) Passing an emergency or police vehicle under the provisions of §
21-405 (d) of this article ..........................................2 points

(8) A violation of § 21-511 (a) of this article ..................2 points

(9) Failure to stop a vehicle for a steady red traffic signal in violation
of § 21-202 of this article .........................................2 points

(10) Any moving violation contributing to an accident ............3 points

(11) Driving after suspension of license under the provisions of § 17-106, § 26-204, § 26-206, or § 27-103 of this article, or under the traffic laws or
regulations of another state as described in § 16-303 (i) of this title .................................................. ...................3 points

(12) Any violation, except violations committed on the John F. Kennedy
Memorial Highway, of § 21-1411 of this article ......................3 points

(13) Speeding in excess of the posted speed limit by 30 miles an hour or
more .................................................. ..............5 points

(14) Driving while not licensed ..................................5 points

(15) Failure to report an accident ...............................5 points

(16) Driving on a learner's permit unaccompanied .................5 points

(17) Any violation of § 17-107 of this article ...................5 points

(18) Participating in a race or speed contest on a highway .......5 points

(19) Any violation of § 16-304 or § 16-305 of this title .........5 points

(20) Any violation of § 22-404.5 of this article .................5 points

(21) Speeding in excess of a posted speed limit of 65 miles an hour by 20
miles an hour or more ...............................................5 points

(22) Aggressive driving in violation of § 21-901.2 of this article .................................................. .................. 5 points

(23) Reckless driving ............................................6 points

(24) Driving while impaired by alcohol or while impaired by a drug, combination of drugs, or a combination of one or more drugs and alcohol, or
driving within 12 hours after arrest under § 21-902.1 of this article .................................................. ...................8 points

(25) Turning off lights of a vehicle to avoid identification .....8 points

(26) Failing to stop after accident resulting in damage to attended
vehicle or property .................................................8 points

(27) Failing to stop after accident resulting in damage to unattended
vehicle or property .................................................8 points

(28) Any violation of § 16-815 or § 16-816 of this title .........8 points

(29) Failing to stop after an accident resulting in bodily injury or death .................................................. ..................12 points

(30) Driving after refusal, suspension, cancellation, or revocation of license except for suspensions of license under the provisions of § 17-106, § 26-204, § 26-206, or § 27-103 of this article, or under the traffic laws or
regulations of another state as described in § 16-303 (i) of this title .................................................. ..................12 points

(31) Any violation of § 16-301, § 16-302, § 16-804, or § 16-808 (a)(1)
through (9) of this title ..........................................12 points

(32) Homicide, life threatening injury under § 3-211 of the Criminal Law
Article, or assault committed by means of a vehicle ................12 points

(33) Driving while under the influence of alcohol, while under the influence of alcohol per se, or while impaired by an illegally used
controlled dangerous substance .....................................12 points

(34) Any felony involving use of a vehicle ......................12 points

(35) Fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer ............12 points

(36) The making of a false affidavit or statement under oath, or falsely certifying to the truth of any fact or information to the Administration under the Maryland Vehicle Law or under any law relating to the ownership or
operation of motor vehicles ........................................12 points

(37) Any violation involving an unlawful taking or unauthorized use of a motor vehicle under § 7-105 or § 7-203 of the Criminal Law Article, or §
14-102 of this article .............................................12 points

(b) Point assessment on multiple charge conviction.- If a conviction occurs on multiple charges based on offenses alleged to have been committed at the same time or arising out of circumstances simultaneous in time and place, the Administration:

(1) Shall assess points against the individual convicted only on the charge that has the highest point assessment; and

(2) May not assess points on the remainder of the multiple charges.

(c) Extension of license revocation.-

(1) On receiving a record of conviction of any moving violation by an individual whose license is currently revoked, the Administration may extend the date before which the individual is eligible for reinstatement and, if the date is extended, shall issue to the individual a notice that:

(i) States the duration of the extension of the license revocation, dating from the date of the violation, during which the individual's license may not be reinstated; and

(ii) Advises the individual of the right to request a hearing.

(2) A notice issued under this subsection, and a hearing requested by the individual, shall meet the requirements of Title 12, Subtitle 2 of this article.

(3) The Administration may extend the period of a license revocation under this subsection for not more than the period of time specified in paragraph (4) of this subsection:

(i) If the individual does not request a hearing as provided by Title 12, Subtitle 2 of this article;

(ii) After a hearing, if the individual is determined to have been convicted of a violation described in this subsection while the individual's license to drive was revoked; or

(iii) If the individual fails to appear for a hearing requested by the individual under this subsection.

(4) The Administration may extend the period of license revocation for not more than:

(i) 1 year if it is the individual's first violation;

(ii) 18 months if it is the individual's second violation; or

(iii) 2 years if it is the individual's third or subsequent violation.

(d) Licenses currently revoked may not be revoked.- Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, the Administration may not revoke a license that is currently revoked.

Last edited by AZ28DRIVER1; 07-23-2004 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow.. Maryland is almost as communist as Virginia.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just got of the phone with the New Hamshire RMV. There is definetly no laws regarding the use of nitrous on the street, and the ofcr said that there are no restrictions on it for vehicle inspection either. Since I don't believe him, I am looking for the complete list of rules for inspection. It can't be that easy.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AZ28DRIVER1
You are saddly mistaken!!! Whomever you go your information from is full of **** and needs to try reading a law book before spreading misinformation. As stated this is a 5 point ticket that you can be nailed for. This came directly from the Maryland Annotated Code 2004 edition. Please kindly send $200 to my pay pal account for your legal consultation. Here is an exact copy of that law. blah blah blah
Where in that load of crap did you prove me wrong? I agreed it is illegal to have it hooked up to the car, I may have stated incorrectly the actual law by definition. I specifically said it is ILLEGAL TO USE NITROUS in MD. Which is what the law defines it as if you have it hooked up.

My whole contention was you saying it is illegal to carry it in your vehicle if it is not hooked up which is horse ****. Thus your line "If the bottle is not hooked up and you don't have the sticker you get one ticket for not dsiplaying that you are carrying it." is WRONG. You do not have to have a placard UNLESS it is hooked up. You only have to have a placard if it is over X amount of pounds which I believe is 55lbs as long as it isnt hooked up.

I want a refund on my $200 shitty and wrong legal advise and on top of that I want your Aunt B to bake my *** a bean pie biatch!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
Where in that load of crap did you prove me wrong? I agreed it is illegal to have it hooked up to the car, I may have stated incorrectly the actual law by definition. I specifically said it is ILLEGAL TO USE NITROUS in MD. Which is what the law defines it as if you have it hooked up.

My whole contention was you saying it is illegal to carry it in your vehicle if it is not hooked up which is horse ****. Thus your line "If the bottle is not hooked up and you don't have the sticker you get one ticket for not dsiplaying that you are carrying it." is WRONG. You do not have to have a placard UNLESS it is hooked up. You only have to have a placard if it is over X amount of pounds which I believe is 55lbs as long as it isnt hooked up.

I want a refund on my $200 shitty and wrong legal advise and on top of that I want your Aunt B to bake my *** a bean pie biatch!
Did you not read what was written above? It not an issue if the system is hooked up or not. Is issue is if you car carrying it in your car. That has to be declared no what size the tank you have from a fire marshal stand point. You are carrying around in your car an accelerant. God forbid you get into a wreck or your car catches on fire that type of information needs to disclosed. Thus the need for the decals on the front and rear of the car. As I stated in the above example. You can have N20 in your car and not have it hooked up. That is fine but you must have the stickers. Don't tell me it can't be done because I watched a kid with my own eyes get a ticket from a cop as we were waiting to get into the track. That experience scared the Hell out of me so I decided to research the MD vehicle laws to see what else they might be able to nab people for. To my shock the cop was perfectly in the right to give him that ticket.

As for your pie....do you want whipped cream or ice cream with that?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default NH Rules

Well the cop was right. ITS 100% LEGAL in New Hampshire!!!!!! Both use on public roads and vehicle safety inspection.

God Bless NH!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:12 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

God Bless Texas too.

During an "unfortunate incident" I once had the local PD toss my car. They said nada, zilch, zero about the big nitrous bottle staring them in the face.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Definitions.- In this section, "power booster system" means any device installed in a motor vehicle which allows liquid nitrous oxide to combine with gasoline for the purpose of increasing engine power."

No where in that does it state I cant have it in the car. It states I can not have it INSTALLED in the car meaning a nitrous system installed in the car.

Just cause a cop writes a ticket for something doesnt mean the cop wasnt wrong that is why there are judges to decide the law.

Glad you had a sense of humor about the bean pie comment
Old 07-23-2004, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

I'm just trying to look out for you and other fellow Marylander's on here so we all don't wind up with tickets.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

just look on sema's site for stupid bullshit laws that some bald or grey haired **** (no offense to you old guys ) pulled out of his ***
Old 10-01-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Does anyone know if it is illegal in texas?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

AZ28DRIVER

What track did this happen at?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Nothing on the books for NC. Ive had 2 Charlotte/Mecklenburg Co. cops and 1 trooper look into it for me. By the way, all those cops have low-13's or faster cars (down to a high-10 sec TA). Kinda funny, riding with an off duty cop doing 90 in a 35 and knowing if you get pulled you will get off.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:48 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just recently got a ticket in Maryland. When I went to court here's what they said...

The Officer needs to:

1) Demonstrate that the bottle has nitrous
2) Demonstrate that the system is hooked up
3) Inspect where the nitrous is actually hooked up to the motor

After all that they may have a case. Mine was thrown out because they just saw the bottle/line going to the bottle. They never checked to see if it was full so I said it was empty. I also told the judge that the solenoids were in texas for servicing and since the cop never inspected the engine, they threw out the case. You should be ok.
Phil
Old 10-21-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 2 polished 10lb bottles in my back window! When I get pulled over they alway ask if they are hooked up and I say "yes It isn't ilegal" they aways say "yeah but it is dangerous,and street racing is" this is where I say " I am busy give me a ticket or let me go" And they 95% of the time let me go!

In Michigan it is legal! I have been told that at least a dozen times!

I would think the officer would have to prove you are racing,using it. or have NOS in the bottle? To be able to say it is ilegal?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Man I dont think thats funny at all. 1069 is not chump change. Let us know how it turns out. I dont know how PA is but I bet you get it dropped.

Quick Reply: Nitrous laws