Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

150 shot and 5th gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 150 shot and 5th gear?

(Already did search, please dont tell me to see search button)

I have an NX wet kit on the floor of the shop right now, it will be installed shortly along with some longtubes. My question is this: 98% of my races are highway roll-ons, and with a 3.73, i get to 5th gear kinda quick (fixn' to be a whole lot quicker too ) , so can i keep the juice flowing in 5th gear? Now this is assuming i have already tached 4th out and am at a suitable rpm to be spraying in the first place. I have heard comments go both ways, your opinion is appreciated. Thanks.

PS...I know i will be doing some highly illegal speeds, your concern is duly noted, thank you, no comments on that necessary.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PHANTA-Z
(Already did search, please dont tell me to see search button)

I have an NX wet kit on the floor of the shop right now, it will be installed shortly along with some longtubes. My question is this: 98% of my races are highway roll-ons, and with a 3.73, i get to 5th gear kinda quick (fixn' to be a whole lot quicker too ) , so can i keep the juice flowing in 5th gear? Now this is assuming i have already tached 4th out and am at a suitable rpm to be spraying in the first place. I have heard comments go both ways, your opinion is appreciated. Thanks.

PS...I know i will be doing some highly illegal speeds, your concern is duly noted, thank you, no comments on that necessary.
I'm gonna gave to spray my 5th gear, at least a few times, becuase of my 4:10s Getting the 5177 kit from NOS.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Anybody acutally done and had the tranny live to tell the tale?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a question… But given these two scenarios, what do you think would be harder on the gear box?

Scenario 1
500 RWHP heads and cam/supercharged car clicking 5th for a high speed run.

Scenario 2
350 RWHP N/A car spraying 150 within a window at WOT in 5th for a high speed run?

Same final HP, just less shock when it hits I guess.

Anyone?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:10 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Just don't flat shift it, you should be okay.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i couldnt see it being much harder then a supercharger if you put a progressive controller on, to pulse in the shot.. just my thoughts though
Old 09-14-2004, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jermstyle
Just a question… But given these two scenarios, what do you think would be harder on the gear box?

Scenario 1
500 RWHP heads and cam/supercharged car clicking 5th for a high speed run.

Scenario 2
350 RWHP N/A car spraying 150 within a window at WOT in 5th for a high speed run?

Same final HP, just less shock when it hits I guess.

Anyone?
Nitrous would be worse because of all the torque it would make. Plus it is an instant hit, instead of progressive.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Yeah i think the instantaneous hit from the N2O would be harder on the gearing than the blower by far. Thanks for the post but no one has answered the original question yet....have you (whoever you are) sprayed in 5th with any sort of regularity and not had problems? Hell even if you've sprayed it just a few times, I dont plan on doing this very often. Ive only had maybe 5-7 races in this car that ive had to use 5th (Audi RS6, AC Shnitzer M5, Viper, and a few AMG cars, yes i got walked hard in 5th every time), but if one comes up, i want to know what im getting myself into. Please shed some light on the subject for us. Thanks for the replys.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PHANTA-Z
Yeah i think the instantaneous hit from the N2O would be harder on the gearing than the blower by far. Thanks for the post but no one has answered the original question yet....have you (whoever you are) sprayed in 5th with any sort of regularity and not had problems? Hell even if you've sprayed it just a few times, I dont plan on doing this very often. Ive only had maybe 5-7 races in this car that ive had to use 5th (Audi RS6, AC Shnitzer M5, Viper, and a few AMG cars, yes i got walked hard in 5th every time), but if one comes up, i want to know what im getting myself into. Please shed some light on the subject for us. Thanks for the replys.
I think the hardest component hit would be the clutch. When it starts to slip, it's usually 5th and 6th. I hope my spec holds for the few times that i plan to do it.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ricekillman
I think the hardest component hit would be the clutch. When it starts to slip, it's usually 5th and 6th. I hope my spec holds for the few times that i plan to do it.
Damn, never thought of that one. You got a good point. The more i think about it, that would be hella hard on the clutch. Mine is a stock/LS6 unit, but it is a fairly fresh one (>15k). Hmm...something to think about.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sprayed 150+ on my cammed car in 5th plenty of times, and even in 6th with no ill effects on the clutch or the transmission.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Another thing you might want to look at it is mixing in a little race gas for safety. There is likely to be more detonation than normal under extreme loads like spraying in an overdrive gear I too will be trying this, as I have 4.30 gears. Please let me know how it goes. FWIW: A friend has trashed his motor spraying in 5th, but detonation was the cause IIRC.

Good Luck,
Josh
Old 09-15-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

I too would like to spray a 150 in 5th gear as well with 4.10 gears in the car for street runs. I have a timing tuner to keep things safe of course, but with only 91 octane in the car, I'm kinda nervous.

I'm not worried in the slightest about slip since I have a McLeod dual disk in the car.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Cool, that was the responses I was lookin' for. I intend to run a 100 shot for the most part, but if a setup race calls for the 150, i will go in with the Predator and pull some timing, add some fuel, and then to top it off some NOS octane booster with the anti-detonate. It works well for us with the blower cars here at the shop, should do fine with the nitrus. Plus, we have 93 her in NC, and the gas station on the way home from work has 100 oct. Its all good, thanks for all the comments guys. As always... LS1tech.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Just don't stay in for a real long time - 15 seconds max - as bottle pressure will drop
Old 09-15-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did a 100 shot several times on the 4th to 5th shift letting off inbetween and then laying into 5th at 1150 psi
Old 09-16-2004, 12:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Octane is the key. 100 octane and you should be ok.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
Octane is the key. 100 octane and you should be ok.
Yeah, like i said, the 150 will be pretty much reserved for pre-arranged races where i know i might need the extra bump. It wont be a spur of the moment type thing. I will take all available precautions for that, 100 oct, NOS booster (mostly for the anti-detonate), pull timing/ add fuel (w/ Predator), etc. And i see no reason Id keep into it for longer than 8 seconds or so....if im gonna win or loose, I'll know it by then.

(On a lighter note) Gosh almighty damn am i looking forward to having this shot hooked up and the longtubes on, i have a list of at least 5 local turbo imports who like to talk **** that are soooo going down, and going down hard.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run the 150 jets on 94 octane and spray fifth all the time. Some times you see some @## on the highway in a rustang and have to prove a big point. I have yet to have any problems,although I do have a spec stage 3 clutch and kevlar /steel tranny internals. If you are running a 10 bolt with everything stock such as me get the T/A cover or something that allows you to torque the main caps down. Then throw the hammer down.