Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have a nitrous leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I have a nitrous leak?

I just finished installing my NX MAF kit the other night and I’m still just testing things out. I opened the bottle the other night to test the purge valve. The pressure gauge on the bottle went to just over 900psi and I closed the bottle. The next day the gauge was down to 0psi.

Is this normal or do I need to re-check my connections?
Old 09-28-2004, 09:09 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought bottle pressure dying like that was normal until I found my leak. Now I get my bottle filled and the only way to empty it is to open the valve and let it out. I'd say you have a leak. My leak was the gauge port plug on my NOS Super HiFlo valve.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

I can’t hear or feel n20 leaking at any of the connections, is there a better good way to find the slow leak other than the old soap and water trick?

The only fitting I didn’t torque down a ton is the union between the N20 solenoid and the purge solenoid because I wanted them to be parallel.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Josh
So the bottle should hold pressure even when the valve is closed? I drive my car primarily on the weekends and my bottle pressure is always at 0 PSI when I go to open it a week later.

Josh
Unless you used all your nitrous all the way down to 0 PSI, your bottle should hold pressure for an infinite amount of time. My pressure never goes to zero anymore now that I found my leak. A guy at a local speed shop also said when I asked him about pressure leaking, he knows a guy that bought a bottle 10 years ago and never used it and it still has all of it's pressure after sitting for 10 years.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:34 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by jermstyle
I can’t hear or feel n20 leaking at any of the connections, is there a better good way to find the slow leak other than the old soap and water trick?

The only fitting I didn’t torque down a ton is the union between the N20 solenoid and the purge solenoid because I wanted them to be parallel.
Not sure on better leak detection methods. To find the leak in my bottle I filled a trash can full of water and submerged my bottle. Did you use teflon tape at all of your joints?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I read the first post right.You are leaving the bottle closed but still have pressure in the line.The line is bleeding down.It may have a slow leak.However you should always purge down your system after your done with it.I wouldnt leave pressure in the line.
Dave
Old 09-28-2004, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, the bottle is off and the pressure from the line is just bleeding off.

I think I know where it is, I’ll recheck the connections and purge it down next time, thanks!
Old 09-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Jermstyle If I am reading this correct you are lossing pressure from closed line. This can happen even with no noticeable leaks. What I am saying is you could have such a small leak you would never see or hear it. The line holds so little nitrous that even a small leak or weep can loose pressure quickly. Turn the bottle on and check all connection with soapy water if you see a bubble then tighten a little.

Ricky

Originally Posted by jermstyle
I just finished installing my NX MAF kit the other night and I’m still just testing things out. I opened the bottle the other night to test the purge valve. The pressure gauge on the bottle went to just over 900psi and I closed the bottle. The next day the gauge was down to 0psi.

Is this normal or do I need to re-check my connections?
Old 09-28-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh
So if I turn my bottle on and the pressure gauge rises to 900 PSI, I drive around for a few hours, and then turn the bottle off after getting back home without purging the line, the pressure gauge should still read 900 PSI a week later?

Sorry, jermstyle, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, I just think I have the same problem.

Thanks,
Josh

I wouldnt leave built pressure in my lines. Just another thing your solenoid has to worry about. I suggest purging it out.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Yes, don't leave pressure in your lines.

Yes, if you have nitrous in your bottle and the bottle has no leaks you will still have the same amount of nitrous in your bottle a week later.

Pressure on the other hand fluctuates with temperature. I've had 900 in my bottle one night and the next afternoon in 100 degree heat my pressure was 1300 or so. Then after driving around with the AC on, pressure came back down.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
I thought bottle pressure dying like that was normal until I found my leak. Now I get my bottle filled and the only way to empty it is to open the valve and let it out. I'd say you have a leak. My leak was the gauge port plug on my NOS Super HiFlo valve.
Hey, I seen that you had a nitrous leak on your gauge port plug. I have a NX bottle with 2 gauge port holes, and I have taken the bottle out of the vehicle and brought it in my house. When I go to take my gauge off, nitrous leaks from the gauge port, and also leaks from the port on the other side of the bottle when I try to take the plug out. What did you do to stop the leaks?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

To remove your gauge or the plug in the other side, you will have to empty the bottle first. Those ports are constantly under pressure if there is nitrous in the bottle.

Quick Reply: Do I have a nitrous leak?