Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on DynoTune AF switch for solenoids...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 11:10 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question on DynoTune AF switch for solenoids...

I thought this was a great idea at first, but after talking to a couple of tuners, they thought it would not be a good idea. They said that because of the inaccuracy of 02 sensors and how they function in relation to the time it takes them to read a rich/lean condition that the A/F switch would likely not be a good idea for stopping solenoids in case of a lean condition.

What do you guys think, and I would like to hear a response from Dyno Tune about this question. I think it is a creative and good idea (in theory), but would like ot hear more about it.

SDB
Old 10-14-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea. I believe that the Dyno Tune switch shuts off when it sees .799mv. Now, when my solenoid failed I was actually watching the live O2 readings, they started at .815 or so and then dropped to .050 in less than a 2 seconds. Now if you some how had a partial fuel failure (like a drop in PSI) and the 02s where hanging in the .800s you could still hurt the motor even though you own the switch. I had bought one but never installed it, I just decided to do an in car wideband set up instead.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK- I just talked to Dan(great guy) @ Dynotune yesterday about this via email. My buddy who works as a service manager at a Chevy dealership was saying that the 02 sensors are so inaccurate and he would be leary about the A/F switch. In my opinion if it is even a little bit accurate it would be ebtter than nothing and it works a hell of alot better than a FPSS but I will be using both. So I asked Dynotune what they thought and here is the email. I hope this is Ok with Dynotune but I dont see why it wouldnt be and sorry if it isnt.

Funny how everyone has an opionoin on o2 sensors!

They are very acurate in the lean range! This is what were looking for, we do not care about rich.... When it gets into the lean zone where it is acurate is what we care about.\ When it goes lean it shuts off, its pretty simple concept.
Your o2 sensor should be fine....
The gauge was pretty hacked up. We sent you a diffrent one with black face, only writing on it was dynotune...

Loooks much nicer
Switch worked fine we upgraded it alot as it was pretty old!

All works like new, you will be happy! Should have it tommorw or saturday Enjoy!
Dan

---In my opinion it is a great ideas and if someone was really worried about the stock 02 sensors and it says on their site if the sensors are worn out maybe 3 years old you need to replace them for the A/F switch to work properly to replace them. Go splurge and buy some Bosch sensors ro whoever else. I have alot of respect for DynTune as far as the way the run their business so that tells me that they have good products as I have many of them!
Old 10-15-2004, 07:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The factory o2 sensor is very very quick. We see a change in o2 readings in less than .5 seconds. We have seen alot of folks saved by the a/f swith from clogged fuel jets. Funny, some of them deactived the a/f switch as they thought it was causing the problem! After they tore down the system they found the clogged jet or solenoid not working, it happen more than you think!

Take care!

Dan
Old 10-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Banned

I dont think a a/f shutoff from the 02's is a solution that fits any application i can think of usefully
Old 10-16-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think a a/f shutoff from the 02's is a solution that fits any application i can think of usefully
Why don't you think this would be useful?
do you think a fuel pressure switch is the safer way to spray?

pat
Old 10-17-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will be installing the A/F switch and FPSS next week. Hell the though that it could help makes it worht my money!

Quick Reply: Question on DynoTune AF switch for solenoids...