Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purge blows my gauge fuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Purge blows my gauge fuse

I got home and parked my car, I'd use my nitrous a bit, so I wanted to purge out of the line whatever what is in ther,
so I hit the button, car is on, and the gauges go out, the car shuts off.
I found the fuse for the gauge and it was blown, so I replaced it and I started the car, it hesitated a bit, but came back right after that,

could they have wired my purge wrong?

pat
Old 12-04-2004, 06:19 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes you wired it wrong. You need to get your 12 v lead into the relay from the battery terminal not a fused terminal. It should be 12v from your fused circuit (like your gauge fuse) into the relay then the opposite terminal to ground. 12V from the battery into 87a and 30 to the solenoid with the other lead to ground. The relay is fused at 30A, so you do not need to put another relay on it to the solenoid. Nitrous side solenoids take a lot of current to open them under high pressures. You'll easily keep popping small fuses because of the large high current rush they require.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks,
I actually had it done by a shop down here in south florida,
so I'm going back to them to have them fix it,

pat
Old 12-05-2004, 05:36 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa!!! A shop wired it wrong? I would be a little hesitant to take it back to them. I know that the messed it up and that they should be the ones responsbable for the repair, but improper wiring can burn your ride down to the ground! Best bet is find a shop that will fix the problem, it's not to big a deal, for a slight fee or free and gain a new customer, or even have the original shop pay the bill for the repair work.

Lots of shops are great with wrench's and sockets, but not with a meter, strippers, crimpers, and a soldering iron.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

Just put a bigger fuse in it. LOL
Old 12-08-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
Just put a bigger fuse in it. LOL
That's what I did.... It actually works. I never knew until now that it was wired wrong. I guess I better change it then.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Default yank that fuse

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
That's what I did.... It actually works. I never knew until now that it was wired wrong. I guess I better change it then.
the fuse is blowing because you are overloading the circuit, you will melt your wiring . The size wire on that circuit is intended for a certain amp load . You are now exceeding that specification.ASE mastertech .02 cents
Old 12-17-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well now you guys are making me think. I was told that it was ok to run mine off one of the fuses so thats what i did. I have mine ran off the wiper/wash fuse, it is a 25 amp fuse. I didnt think it would hurt anything because i am never going to be spraying and using the wipers at the same time. My on/off and purge is running off that same fuse. What do you guys think? Should i change it?
Old 12-17-2004, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was stupid and had my power wire for the heater off the acc. terminal in the fuse box. it would pop that fuse and cut the dash lights including the odometer every time the heater was turned on. i ran a seperate 12V wire to the batt.

Quick Reply: Purge blows my gauge fuse