Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plz Help me. Banging limiter after No2.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 04:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plz Help me. Banging limiter after N02 :(

Hello yall i just had a NX single nozzle wet kit installed on my 98 T/A. a4 I have bolt-ons and a 3800 vig stall. I have no tune at all. I fliped the nitrous switch after my car shifted into 2nd gear. Whenever my car shifts 2nd to 3rd it bangs the limiter like 4 to 5 times before going into 3rd gear .before N/A after i just got the convertor it use to bang the limiter on the 2nd to 3rd shifts but the fluid was a little low and adding more tranny fluid stoped it. I hope i did not damage my car spraying and hitting the limiter. I talked with a guy and he told me raising the shift points might help. Is there anything i can do to stop this from happening? What can i do too fix this problem? Is it my tranny's fault? Has this happen to somone before and had a simmilar experience as me? I am very confused and unhappy about this inncident , I am praying and hoping somone can help me to solve my problem.Also i just swaped plugs to TR-6 NGK plugs the car seemed to idle fine when it was in( P) but when i put it in (D) the idle seems to be a little ruff and it seems to be not steady.After getting home from the track I felt so worried so i went to test my car on the road again from a dead stop and went WOT n/A and the car only hit the limiter once our twice when it shifted into 3rd gear.
For those who read this thank you for your time concerning my matter. Any info would be greatly appreciated Thank you. And Happy holidays.

Last edited by LS1FIRE; 12-21-2004 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:54 AM
10 Second Club

Have you been spraying for awhile or was this the first time? Also, are you spraying through your shifts? Best case senario is that the car is missing the shift and hitting the limiter (pretty common with a high stall and nitrous). To fix this just drop the shift point a few hundred rpm or put in some harden pushrods and raise the limiter a few hundred rpm. Worst case senario is that you have a situation like mine. 2-3 shift is going out because the bands are slipping.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Restricted User

Nitrous will stall a convertor out more, or whatever the technical term is, it slips/stalls past what it would normally, which will require adjusting the shift points via tuning. Also, if your trans fluid is low at all, it can also lead to banging the RL like a mad, the trans is really touchy on fluid level!
It really shouldnt mess the trans up at all, but when you hit the RL it pulls timing and fuel, so you can go lean and hurt your engine if you keep it up.
Whats the gap on the plugs, with a 100 shot your safe for a wider gap, around .040", 150 I used .034-.036" gap. 200 I use a step colder and smaller gap. Anyway, good luck with it and try and get some tuning done. I currently use LS1Edit, but I am switching to HPTuners, its not as bad as you will think, dont be scared to save a little, get your own tuning software and learn and have fun, thats my thoughts anyway.

Charlie
Old 12-18-2004, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Have you been spraying for awhile or was this the first time? Also, are you spraying through your shifts? Best case senario is that the car is missing the shift and hitting the limiter (pretty common with a high stall and nitrous). To fix this just drop the shift point a few hundred rpm or put in some harden pushrods and raise the limiter a few hundred rpm. Worst case senario is that you have a situation like mine. 2-3 shift is going out because the bands are slipping.
This was my first time. And yes it was threw shifts.
Thanks.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

First of all I would get a window switch and shut the nitous down about 200rpm before the shift. I started having transmision problems probrably 5 passes after I started spraying through wiht a 150 shot, car only picked up a tenth too. Plus, like Charlie said, you can do some major damage hitting the limiter on the bottle. The limiter cuts fuel at the injectors so you get a super lean condition. I would invest in some way of tuning and get those shift points lowered. If you don't have a lap top or the money for one you could always get a handheld like the Predator. Mine has gotten me by and they always send me custom tunes for free.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
First of all I would get a window switch and shut the nitous down about 200rpm before the shift. I started having transmision problems probrably 5 passes after I started spraying through wiht a 150 shot, car only picked up a tenth too. Plus, like Charlie said, you can do some major damage hitting the limiter on the bottle. The limiter cuts fuel at the injectors so you get a super lean condition. I would invest in some way of tuning and get those shift points lowered. If you don't have a lap top or the money for one you could always get a handheld like the Predator. Mine has gotten me by and they always send me custom tunes for free.
Were can i get a window switch complete kit from? no predator for 98s
Old 12-18-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I spray thru too but had to drop my shift points with the predator. Window switch
Old 12-18-2004, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Debian Dog
Yeah I spray thru too but had to drop my shift points with the predator. Window switch
Did you every try to spray with the stock tune and have a problem like mine?
I am hoping the msd window switch will fix this problem alone without any tuning device.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

You wouuldn't have to have something to tune it with really. If you know what your current shiftpoints are, just set the window switch at a little lower rpm,, like mentioned above 200 should be fine.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1FIRE
Did you every try to spray with the stock tune and have a problem like mine?
I am hoping the msd window switch will fix this problem alone without any tuning device.
One of the many reasons I bought the Predator.

Heck even with the cam (6800 redline) and a custom tune that runs fine N/A. I bang the rev limiter if I do not lower the shift points. A dry kit and hitting the rev limiter is ESPECIALLY bad since it drops the revs by pulling fuel.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Restricted User

Yep Yep Yep.....guess we al been down this road. I would run a little more than 200rpm window from nitrous off to the shift point.

Whats your name LS1Fire?

Yes, I hit the RL with stock tune once, with street tires, switched to ET Streets no more RL. Then as the progress went along, it was tuning time. I didnt have a laptop the first few months of tuning with Edit, I used an old TV Cart to roll an desktop around in the garage with a UPS backup and Surge protector...talk about Island Engineering, but it works.
Depending on what you plan on doing with your car, I would either get the Window Switch, and or invest in HP Tuners (will be easier for you to tune yourself trust me, Edit user guide is ****!).
Have fun, and good luck.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
Yep Yep Yep.....guess we al been down this road. I would run a little more than 200rpm window from nitrous off to the shift point.

Whats your name LS1Fire?

Yes, I hit the RL with stock tune once, with street tires, switched to ET Streets no more RL. Then as the progress went along, it was tuning time. I didnt have a laptop the first few months of tuning with Edit, I used an old TV Cart to roll an desktop around in the garage with a UPS backup and Surge protector...talk about Island Engineering, but it works.
Depending on what you plan on doing with your car, I would either get the Window Switch, and or invest in HP Tuners (will be easier for you to tune yourself trust me, Edit user guide is ****!).
Have fun, and good luck.
Wassup man my name is Chris. I wonder if ET streets will stop my car from hitting the limter ? I am gona get a window switch they have digital ones now. I just hope i didn't damage anything that night hitting the limiter like crazy i made a couple of runs doing this Tried in 3 and D didnt make a difference. After i left the track my car took extra starter spin to start the car. After this morning it started up fine again. I am really thinking about getting HP tuners but i am not sure. When you coming back home? Thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 01:17 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Hit me up with a PM. I can get ya window switch that has a first gear lockout so you won't have to flip the switch on after u hit second. It will do it for ya.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

when i put n2o on the 99 it hit the limiter in the 2-3 shift. i increased the shift firmness with my vinci tuner and it went away. transmission just needs some more line pressure to make the shift happen.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Restricted User

Increasing shift firmness is more of a crutch to the rev limiter, its like putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. Increasing line pressure can reduce A4 life, like anything we do promotes life span right! Anyway, if you change the shift points and/or raise the limiter you can minimize the chance of that premature wear a little. Just my nickel.

Chris, I wouldnt think ET Streets will stop it from happening, again thats like a bandaid, unless it just happens to be the street tires are slipping bad! Not to say it int nice to have the ET Streets though, by all means, they will help with launching and consistency. BTW, did you happen to tell Uncle Tony I said hello?

Charlie
Old 12-20-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how ET streets would stop you from banging the rev limiter on your 2-3 shifts... Please explain?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
Increasing shift firmness is more of a crutch to the rev limiter, its like putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. Increasing line pressure can reduce A4 life, like anything we do promotes life span right! Anyway, if you change the shift points and/or raise the limiter you can minimize the chance of that premature wear a little. Just my nickel.

Chris, I wouldnt think ET Streets will stop it from happening, again thats like a bandaid, unless it just happens to be the street tires are slipping bad! Not to say it int nice to have the ET Streets though, by all means, they will help with launching and consistency. BTW, did you happen to tell Uncle Tony I said hello?

Charlie
No man i didint go back to the track that day i had to go to a bbq. But the next time i go out there i tell them you said hello. Tony told me he was gona leave and will be back in March. I wish i went down there so he could of tune my car.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

increasing pressure increases transmission life, not shorten it. by increasing the pressure, the clutches will engage without as much slipping as would in a softer shift. the softer the shift, the more the clutches slip until they fully engage. and the more they slip, the higher the tranny fluid temperature also.