Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech Tip "Fuel Puddle Something to think about"

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
I can agree with this. What I am saying is a wet N2O car running wet shot at the end of run will pop/backfire, whereas, the same car running n/a will not do this. Also, what your talking about is the left behind unburned fuel caused by radical cams/timing and does'nt normaly blow the hood. With the extra fuel in the intake on deceleration after run on wet kit (puddling), with what you say together, can and does sometimes blow the top of the motor.
I never said it would backfire out the hood. i was only addressing the pop/backfire out the exhaust

Mike
Old 02-17-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Devils advocate: So if fuel puddleing is a myth then why would any one spend the money to go direct port when you can run an equally sized wet shot with out fear of puddleing.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:22 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
Devils advocate: So if fuel puddleing is a myth then why would any one spend the money to go direct port when you can run an equally sized wet shot with out fear of puddleing.
I don't necessarily think it's as much of a puddling issue as it is a distribution issue. Large shots through the intake won't distribute very evenly (even on smaller shots) and you run a higher chance of nuking a few cylinders (don't remember which ones off the top of my head). This is still an issue with the smaller shots, but since they are smaller, it's not really as much of a problem.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
Thanks for pointing out the direct port system.
Now you are talking about different power levels and a tuning issue. I could run 250 and up hp through 2 nozzles but most poeple that put direct ports on; like the look and are using a higher level also you can tune each hole independently to the others.
But you still can get a back fire with a direct port. And since the nozzle is in each runner you can not say becuase of fuel puddleing in plenum. If you hit a direct port (or any nitrous system) at to low an rpm, it will still backfire and look,that really looks awsome (I might add ) . Since now you are at even a high level of power. I believe the entire fuel puddleing term was started as a marketing tool.

Ricky
Old 02-17-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is where I see a big safety advantage for a direct port (on fuel injected engines only)

Single fogger kits even when atomized and distributed corretly still fill the entire intake full of nitrous and fuel. If you get any valve float, its going to ignite the entire think off. I've seen it on a 4.6 Mustang and a Dodge Intrepid, both with plastic intake manifolds, or should I say had plastic intake manifolds.
Assuming its a fuel injected engine with reasonable runner length, a direct port does not fill the entire intake with nitrous & fuel, just the bottom half of the runners. If you ignite that, it stays localized to only that runner, and dosen't cause a massive backfire, just some poping.
If its a carburated engine or a TBI then there is fuel everywhere anyway so all bets are off with these.
Vinny
Old 02-17-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Nitrous back fire in action
This has nothing to do with the point, and the guy walked away (read crawled away). This is in the multimedia section for those of you who dont get down there much.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

now that has got to suck, hope he ended up alright.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
I never said it would backfire out the hood. i was only addressing the pop/backfire out the exhaust

Mike
Ok, agreed.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

uhhh hmmm, that will give me some nightmares! At this stage in the game I think I would probably lock my doors, and call it game over!
Old 02-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

You can actually see the fire being pushed out of the scoop getting longer and longer like a flame thrower. The drive actually did get out of the car pretty quickly and I believe un harmed. One of the fire crew did have to get medical help, something about getting a wiff of the extinguisher or something, he need oxygen. This is a most extreme backfire. I think the fuel line had broke on when the car back fire. With a 400gph pump running just srpeading the fuel all over the place.

Ricky

Quick Reply: Tech Tip "Fuel Puddle Something to think about"