Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Newbie.... questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny I was just figuring it out when I took the car on a cruise the other day. On the highway at 75mph with the verter locked I'm getting over 25mpg (that includes one nitrous run). Around town is hard to figure, probrably like 7mpg with my foot. Coming out of stop lights I would guess it takes about 2,200 rpm to get the car moving along good. So I would say that your around town MPG will be affected but it shouldn't be two bad.

Now that I think about it, when I go to the track it's a 120 mile round trip, both stop and go and highway. I can make the round trip and race on a half of a tank so I would average it to be about (if not alittle more than) 15mpg in all around driving situations. Gotta love the 2.73 gears.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

hey GM, am i going to have a problem with my setup? only true duals and LT headers.. with a 125 shot.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey, well this car will mainly be on the street so im not too sure if those R series are for me. Any better choice? Ill be on the street most of the time so i dont want to have any problems, but when i go to the track, id like it to put the power down easily. Also i am going to look at a Z28 today or tomorrow and it needs tires. If i get it, do you think i should just stick some radials on it now or wait? If i go radials, what up front? Also Nittos or M/T's? For the suspension, i can jsut go underneath my car in my garage and install it all myself? I am pretty good with mechanics so this would be fun. Im getting the loudmouth 2 first and am going to do that by myself. I think ill get that yank 3600 extreme converter to save me in the long run. Yea i am about 1 hour from dearborn, ill have to check that place out. However if most of this can be installed by me, ill jsut order offline and install myself. So for my car being mainly a daily driver, what suspension stuff do you think i should go with? And what to start off with for tires? Thanks
Old 05-02-2005, 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
Hey, well this car will mainly be on the street so im not too sure if those R series are for me. Any better choice? Ill be on the street most of the time so i dont want to have any problems, but when i go to the track, id like it to put the power down easily. Also i am going to look at a Z28 today or tomorrow and it needs tires. If i get it, do you think i should just stick some radials on it now or wait? If i go radials, what up front? Also Nittos or M/T's? For the suspension, i can jsut go underneath my car in my garage and install it all myself? I am pretty good with mechanics so this would be fun. Im getting the loudmouth 2 first and am going to do that by myself. I think ill get that yank 3600 extreme converter to save me in the long run. Yea i am about 1 hour from dearborn, ill have to check that place out. However if most of this can be installed by me, ill jsut order offline and install myself. So for my car being mainly a daily driver, what suspension stuff do you think i should go with? And what to start off with for tires? Thanks
The regular QA1 "F" series has been proven to hold up pretty well on the street on all four corners. If the car is going to see rain I would stick with the Nitto's Drag radial in the rain. You have alot of options for front tires, Nitto makes a 555RII which is a 555R drag radial with a stiffer side wall for better handling, they also make a regular 555 "street" tire. Those would probrably be your cheapest choices for the front. There are a ton of other choices but it'll get more expensive when you start looking at BFGs, Kumahos(sp?), and others similar to them. Since your mechanicly inclined I would deffinatly do alot of the work yourself. The rear suspension is easy as pie, and the front is easy but just alittle more time consuming. You'll need an external spring compressor to do the fronts, many of the big chain autoparts stores rent them. I would probrably find a good transmision shop to do the converter and shift kit. Since the car is your dailey driver I would look at all BMR and Spohn stuff. They make quality durable peices that should be hassle free for along time, we also have sevral other sponsors that make comprable peices but I can't keep track of them all these days.

F-bodyLuv: I don't think there would be any issues with your current mods and a 3500 stall. The only problem you may have entire set up is your injectors might be maxxed with the dry 125 shot. Mine did when I was a dry 125 but the 2000 models have slightly smaller injectors.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hello, ok sounds great. Well what parts do you think i should go with for my first suspension. FOr shocks, any brand, what tpye do you suggest for my mainly Daily driver? Also what otehr suspension parts? Ill go with the nitto DR's. How long and much would it cost to get the stall and shift kit put in you think at a normal shop? Also how much to rent a external spring compressor? Are they a big ol thing or what? Thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 05:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

anyone.....
Old 05-04-2005, 05:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ttt, went and looked at the z28 yesterday. Got there and the service engine light was on. Guy said hes jsut been ignoring it for quite a few months now. Took it to auto zone for the free check. It wouldnt turn on to diagnose it so we found a blown cigarette lighter fuse so we replaced that and it read the problem as.... catalist efficiency below threshhold (Bank 1). So either 02 sensor(s) or catalytic converter(s). He is going to the dealer tomorrow to find the problem and hopefully fix it. If he fixes it all good we will make and offer and will hopefully have it Thurs.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:23 AM
10 Second Club

Missed your post. The P0420 is almost always a bad cat. GM has to warrenty them to 80,000 miles. Mine just went in my Silverado at 50,000 miles. The QA1s "F's will be fine to daily drive on for a drag shock. Your only other options are an adjustable road race/autoX shock or a fixed shock like the Bilsteins. The converter shift kit install should be $350-400 and it only takes a good shop a few hours. The spring compessors can probrably be rented for $10-20 at places like Autozone. It has two fingers that compresses the srping from the outside.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok cool, so since this car is only 59k miles, they will replace it for free? Hopefully if thats the problem. I should find out today. Ill go with the QA1 f shocks than if you think thats my best bet, thanks for all your time and help.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:49 PM
10 Second Club

No problem. That cat should be covered no problem but like you said, it could be an O2s sensor starting to lag. Either way it's really no big deal.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea, its jsut a little scary to know hes been driving with that light on for 9 months. We offered him 10 for it as it is and we'll fix the problem. If he takes it ill be bringin it home tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

It shouldn't hurt anyhting. I let my Silverado get so bad it was actually misfiring at WOT because of the bad cat. Keep us posted.

BTW: where are you located? Marco in the Eastern section is selling his Z28 for like $7K. It's a high mile car but it's in great shape and it just got a fully built tranny and converter. I think the car ran 13.1 with just a lid and catback.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hello, yea amazingly the guy didnt take our offer. It was an 00 Z28 with jsut under 60k miles. Had leather, chrome, t-tops, a4, power everything. Needed new tires. We told the guy we'd give him $10k as is so we will worry about fixing the problem and he said he needs 11,5 which is rediculous for that car. Yea but i need a car with under 60k miles. My max price is 11. Know of any like 98 or 99 TAs or camaros with like 50k for around11? Let me know. thanks The search continues now going on 7 months......