Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is nitrous illegal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why would it be against the law, ive seen cop cars here in texas that have nos in them. Alot of these camaro cop cars here, get work done at the aftermarket places around town. If cops are using it, than we shouldnt get in trouble for having it.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL can someone explain this one:

Issue: Historic Vehicle/ Registration
Bill: H.B. 5040/ S.B. 663
Description: "Amends the Michigan Historic vehicle definition to allow historic vehicles to be used for ""other occasional uses"""
Author: Representative Walker/ Senator Allen
Intro Date: 13-Jul-03
Bill Type: Two year bill from 2003

other occasional uses such as racing? lol.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Y'alls are missing the point. It's illegal on the street
because they wanted to keep you down, plain and
simple. Logic has nothing to do with it (other than
the semblance of it, used as the pretext) and you
can argue all you want.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive been pulled over twice and the police acknowleged the nitrous with a grin and never said anything to me about it. So I would assume its not illegal but that isnt a fact. That saying it probably is just illegal to use on the steet not to have.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Transportation of any gas under high pressure is a risk, period.

Couldn't hurt to hide it.

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS_
If cops are using it, than we shouldnt get in trouble for having it.
It doesn't work that way. You honestly believe that anything police officers can use the general public should as well?

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
my $0.02.........

a mounted N2O bottle vs. a 2000 PSI Acetylene bottle tossed in the back of a truck.....which is more dangerous?
Irrelevant.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Y'alls are missing the point. It's illegal on the street
because they wanted to keep you down, plain and
simple. Logic has nothing to do with it (other than
the semblance of it, used as the pretext) and you
can argue all you want.
Hit the nail on the head. It has nothing to do about safety. That's why I think it's so stupid. If I want to do a quick 0-100 run it's none of their business what you use to get there.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Hit the nail on the head. It has nothing to do about safety. That's why I think it's so stupid. If I want to do a quick 0-100 run it's none of their business what you use to get there.
Nothing to do with safety.
It may or may not be entirely due to safety, but the fact is thatit could be dangerous.

If you don't have it set to go outside the car you would have problems with all that nitrous in the cabin, as previously stated.

Have you ever seen the aftermath when somebody improperly wires the bottle heater and accidentally places two burst disks in where there is supposed to be one?

What do you suppose would happen to an 1100 PSI, 15 pound bottle of nitrous mounted in the spare tire compartment if that corner of the car were struck hard by another vehicle?

The NHRA has pretty specific requirements regarding the use of nitrous, they don't just let anybody slap anything together that they want and run that. How could you regulate it on the street?

That being said, when I get nitrous I plan to mount a bottle on a roll bar or the hump in the middle of the car where the rear seats used to be. (with tinted windows)
Old 05-14-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Yes it can be dangerous but, do you think that most of the cops or legislators care about the direct saftey aspects? From what I have read, most states that have laws in the books will allow a bottle to be in the car but not hooked up. Basicly to help control the street racing and wreckless driving in general. As far as saftey aspect, I myself could really give a **** to an extent. The only peice of factory safety equipment my car is my rear impact bar. Life is too short to worry about freak accidents.

As for the ******* jackass that blew up his piece of **** Maxima, he deserved it. That was one person that should have never touched a nitrous system. That incident would never stop me from putting nitrous in my spare tire area. And don't forget that when that bottle poped, the pressure was probrably more than 3-4 times what it should be at in your/my/or anyones car.

Can you pull out some NHRA rules? All that I know is the bottle has to be secured, vented outside if in cabin or hatch, and of course burst caps. I also know our IHRA tracks don't allow heating with a torch, not sure if that holds true for the sactioned body as a whole or track by track basis. Those rules sound like common sense to me, nothing strict. And I bet that Maxima's nitrous system would have easily passed tech.

The beauty of it all is that it can never be regulated on the street other than outlawed completly. Then after that they will have to outlaw propane in all these deisels and so on and so forth. The legislators and DOT have bigger fish to fry and more things to worry about. I feel that most nitrous laws where just a poor attempt to help curb street racing which I feel was pretty ignorant on their parts to an extent.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:18 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
3.) The reason forced induction is ok, but nitrous is not really centers around how fast the extra power comes on. Forced induction is proportional and easier to control.

Control how? Care to explain this? Do you mean this as a "perceived" instant hit of power from the law makers view? Sorry, this just doesn't make any sense at all. Comparing a nitrous 'on' to a turbo's 'spool' while the turbo won't come on INSTANTANIOUSLY it will come on really quick. This just doesn't carry any water as far as an argument. But...if you were implying that this is the percieved logic of the police, law makers, and judges, then it does make perfect sense, as nothing they do is logical.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:52 AM
11 Second Club

I have been pulled over in many different state because of my out of state plates and my white Firebird. Not a single officier said anything about the bright yellow bottle sitting between the rear seat on the driveshaft hump. Here are a few. Louisiana, Mississippi, Misouri, Illinois, Delaware, and of course Indiana. Cops like that are trying to bust a teenager with a joint in his pocket. They just want to find a reason to write a ticket.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its super easy to hide a nos system in fourth gen cars..you can hide it in the spare tire area quite easily and with a bit of work make the engine compartment stealth as well. The average cop can't tell a ls1 or lt1 from a 4 banger.

In my province so far its legal but imagine they will make it illegal at some point.If they would quit coming out with F &F movies and the ricers would stop racing on the main streets the whole thing would go under the rug. Their was no problem in the old day sin my city..muscle car guys raced each other outside city limits and still do. Ricers
race anyway and everywhere..real smart

I would hide it presonallly if possible..and will the tank rupture and explode if hit hard in the back..?

The thing that worries me more is seen at least a couple of cars,one fourth gen and one z06 burn to the ground at the track from nitrous problem.That worries me!!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
What do you suppose would happen to an 1100 PSI, 15 pound bottle of nitrous mounted in the spare tire compartment if that corner of the car were struck hard by another vehicle?
absolutely nothing. dominic toretto isnt a real person
Old 05-17-2005, 03:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sparky t/a
absolutely nothing. dominic toretto isnt a real person
Thats about ignorant.. 15 pound bottle + 1500 psi = 15 pound missle if the valve were broken off.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

"It is not flammable and not explosive"

Wish I could find the pic of the Vette with the ENTIRE rear half missing!

I've searched all over the Corvette Forum, but can't find it

Bottle malfunctioned, rear half of the car was blown through the garage door.

Also saw one similar to that with another vehicle.

May not be explosive, but "something" sure went BOOM!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by shadow
"It is not flammable and not explosive"

Wish I could find the pic of the Vette with the ENTIRE rear half missing!

I've searched all over the Corvette Forum, but can't find it

Bottle malfunctioned, rear half of the car was blown through the garage door.

Also saw one similar to that with another vehicle.

May not be explosive, but "something" sure went BOOM!
maybe b/c thats where the gas tank is??? nitrous is not a flammable gas...you can open up the bottle and put a torch to it and see for yourself.

my friend got a $1000.00 ticket for transportation of hazmat for his nitrous....but the cop obviously didnt know the law cause it has to be in excess of 50lbs for it to qualify for this, atleast from what we found in PA state law. went to traffic court for it and even the judge herself had no idea what the law was with it so she had it tranfered to another court and now hes still waiting to go to another court date. cop just wanted to bust his ***** and now hes in this mess with lawyer fees and what not.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Nitrous is not flammable nor explosive. It is, however, an accelerant. (which is basically why it aids combustion so well) Not only that, but any gas compressed to 900-1100 PSI can go and take an awful lot out with it. I don't care if you have regular air in the bottle, if something goes wrong or the bottle is punctured you get .

Quick Reply: Why is nitrous illegal...