Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Important Question Please Answer

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 05:27 AM
Banned

Location: BOSTON IS MY HOME, BUT NOW, IAM A PERMINENT VISITER HERE IN TAMPA.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Important Question Please Answer

Ok hears the deal, the motor thats in my car came out of an LPE TT Z06.
Here are the motor specs: AS OF WHEN MY FRIEND SOLD IT TO ME
Stock bottom-end 2001 ls6
re-honed
new rings & bearings ( all with stock gm parts )
ALL WORK DONE AND PERFORMED BY LPE

This motor, when it was stock with the LPE TT setup made 700rwhp, and ran a best of 10.10@142mph

Now Im useing it as a nitrous motor, with my cartek H/C

So my question to you guys is how much power can this motor make at the rear wheels with nitrous, remember im going to use a directport system, independent nitro dave fuel system, progressive controller, ect.... Im thinking useing right around a 150 or 200 shot.

Iam going to re-tune the car on the dyno/street, n/a and as well as on the nitrous

Since the way turbos and nitrous make their rwhp totally different, I was just curious in seeing what you guys think.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:45 AM
9 Second Club

I'd say about 550-600 range depending on the size of the shot. Sounds like your TT set up was never really right being that it had the stock internals and the compression was most likey higher than ideal for a turbo set up.
Nitrous loves compression so you should be good to go.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tektrans
I'd say about 550-600 range depending on the size of the shot. Sounds like your TT set up was never really right being that it had the stock internals and the compression was most likey higher than ideal for a turbo set up.
Nitrous loves compression so you should be good to go.

The TT setup was obviouly done right why cause jonh made sure it was before the car left the shop

Before I bought the motor my friend brought his car to LPE back in 2001 and they put a stage 1++ TT setup on his stock bottom-end and that combo made 700rwhp.

eventually he put a 417ci motor with TT's on that, LPE also did that work too. Since he put the 417 in the car he didnt need the 346 anymore so i bought it and put it in my car cause i blew my motor. FYI this is my buddy greg who has the fastest 6spd TT Z06 in the country, 9.45@154.

Last edited by WiseGuyZ; 05-28-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Banned

So if he can make 700rwhp with turbos, can I make 700rwhp on nitrous w/ the same bottom-end????

Also on my old motor stock bottom-end I made 575rwhp and ran a 10.3@132.

So I know that I can make 575rwhp, hopefully I can better that with somewhere in the mid 600rwhp??? WITH ALL THE PRECAUTIONS...DP, PROGRESSIVE CONTROLLER, ECT.... you think???
Old 05-28-2005, 12:28 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you CR is going to be too low for adequate use with nitrous....I am betting the CR is 8.8 or so...I bought/sold a stage II 346 recently. Don't plan on spraying it until you check the pistons to see what CR your dealing with.

SDB
Old 05-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SDB
you CR is going to be too low for adequate use with nitrous....I am betting the CR is 8.8 or so...I bought/sold a stage II 346 recently. Don't plan on spraying it until you check the pistons to see what CR your dealing with.

SDB

I dont think you understand as well, the motor is a STOCK BOTTOM-END. Which means the short block was never touched prior to it being takenout and checked and re-assembled w/ new GM rings & bearings and being returned to my friend.

The pistons were and are still the orignal flat top's.

All I bought was the SHORTBLOCK, the heads were NOT included and neither was anything else... timing chain, water pump, oil pump, ect...

Since I bought the motor, my tuner (cartek) notched the pistons so the cam would fit and my ported LS6 heads were milled, so not the cr is right around 11.2.1

So in all so everyone is clear on this when responding, when I took posession of the shortblock, it was just like it was when it had left the factory with the exeption of a re-hone, new bearings, and rings, all with GM parts, per a favor that LPE did for my friend.

Last edited by WiseGuyZ; 05-28-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just because that shortblock was able to handle 700rwhp on a turbo set-up doesn't guarantee the fact that the same shortblock will be able to withstand the same type of power in a nitrous setup.
I believe THAT is the question you're asking?

If you wanted to be safe, I would treat your stock bottom-ended motor the same way the rest of the stock bottom-end & nitrous guys do...Most of those guys will shoot at most 200HP, with a majority of them staying around 150.
If you plan on spraying the car harder, I'd keep a close eye on the tune, make sure you use good fuel and use the proper safety precautions (TR6's, FPSS, etc)
Old 05-28-2005, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

How long to you want it to hold up? I don't see 700 as being a problem, esp. if it is on a progressive controller, and a good tune. It won't last forever, but when do they?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Holes02
Just because that shortblock was able to handle 700rwhp on a turbo set-up doesn't guarantee the fact that the same shortblock will be able to withstand the same type of power in a nitrous setup.
I believe THAT is the question you're asking?

If you wanted to be safe, I would treat your stock bottom-ended motor the same way the rest of the stock bottom-end & nitrous guys do...Most of those guys will shoot at most 200HP, with a majority of them staying around 150.
If you plan on spraying the car harder, I'd keep a close eye on the tune, make sure you use good fuel and use the proper safety precautions (TR6's, FPSS, etc)
That is exactlly the question that I'am asking!!!! I was think more along the lines of a direct-port 200shot.

The precautions will be there in the sense of ill be running a good tune, fpss, dedicated nitro dave fuelsystem with the proper fuel in the cell, the right plugs, and a progressive controller so the power wont hit the motor all at once.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1 Power Plant
How long to you want it to hold up? I don't see 700 as being a problem, esp. if it is on a progressive controller, and a good tune. It won't last forever, but when do they?
I guess id like to to hold up for as long as possible, or untill I save up enough to put forged pistond and good rod bolts in it. I would be happy with that.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

I wasn't trying to knock your set up or anything. Let me re-phrase. The stock bottom end compression is not "optimal" for a TT set up, that is, you can't run as much boost as if you had lower compression. There is no way that I can see that your motor will make 700 rwhp with a 150-200 shot, which is what you were asking about in the first place. You want 700 rwhp with that motor on nitrous, stock pistons, try spraying a 300-350 shot, I'll bring the broom and dust pan.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tektrans
I wasn't trying to knock your set up or anything. Let me re-phrase. The stock bottom end compression is not "optimal" for a TT set up, that is, you can't run as much boost as if you had lower compression. There is no way that I can see that your motor will make 700 rwhp with a 150-200 shot, which is what you were asking about in the first place. You want 700 rwhp with that motor on nitrous, stock pistons, try spraying a 300-350 shot, I'll bring the broom and dust pan.
I know that you weren't trying to knock the setup, but what i mean is can the motor withstand a shot of nitrous that will make 700rwhp.???