Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white2001s10
great pic!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:12 PM
10 second playa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
Must correct you on #12. You don't tax the engine unless you are under boost. So cruising normally it drives like stock.

Nitrous will damage the engine alot quicker than FI.
FI is progressive power. Nitrous is an instant hit of power.

I have done both. If you have the money. FI all the way. Power on demand. So nice getting into boost at part-throttle merging on the freeway.
Not every point I listed pertains to all types of FI.

For example: In #12 you would be correct if you are talking about a turbo engine because the turbos are just loafing around while crusing. But they are still generating tremendous amounts of heat under the hood.

I would disagree if you are referring to a supercharger. They are always running and therefore always contributing to wear and tear on the engine.
I didn't even mention above how you are putting an exponential amount of stress on the engine compared to what is yielded at the wheels.
I other words it takes horsepower to turn the blower, in other words you have to put 700 hp worth of stress on the engine to yield 600 hp at the crank. (Assuming a 100 hp loss to drive the blower as an example.)

Yes, N2O could be the most damaging (one of the cons) but if properly set up you should have no problems. Plus you hardly ever run the N2O compared to the time an FI car does, which is always.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
10 second playa

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
"6) On a hot day FI car is off 3 to 5 tenths, ."
Do you disagree?
I have owned several FI cars and they all fall off in the heat.
Since you have a FI car. Try this.
Race at your favorite track in the fall. Then race your car again on a hot summer day with no other changes.
Your ET and MPH will both drop off significantly.
If it doesn't you must not be running much boost at all.
It is all about the IAT. Cut and dry. Intercoolers are just not as efficient in the heat. (unless you are running ice in a large air to water intercooler which is beyond the scope of this original thread) When you pressurize air it heats up.

N2O creates its own atmosphere, every time, ambient air temp plays a smaller role in the equation. The N2O car will still drop off from fall to summer, but not nearly as much.

The same holds true in high altitude racing, hence the importance of DA.

Most people race in the summer.
Just look at the LS1Tech race series if you need proof.

I still stand behind my statement.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not every point I listed pertains to all types of FI.

For example: In #12 you would be correct if you are talking about a turbo engine because the turbos are just loafing around while crusing. But they are still generating tremendous amounts of heat under the hood.

I would disagree if you are referring to a supercharger. They are always running and therefore always contributing to wear and tear on the engine.
I didn't even mention above how you are putting an exponential amount of stress on the engine compared to what is yielded at the wheels.
I other words it takes horsepower to turn the blower, in other words you have to put 700 hp worth of stress on the engine to yield 600 hp at the crank. (Assuming a 100 hp loss to drive the blower as an example.)

Yes, N2O could be the most damaging (one of the cons) but if properly set up you should have no problems. Plus you hardly ever run the N2O compared to the time an FI car does, which is always.
What kind of wear are you talking about with a Supercharger??

When you are not in boost. There is no stress on the engine except to spin the blower.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:13 PM
10 second playa

What kind of wear are you talking about with a Supercharger??

When you are not in boost. There is no stress on the engine except to spin the blower.
You are correct. You have to spin the blower. It takes power just to spin it at idle nevermind driving around. Plus you are always putting a load on the snout of the crankshaft. Belt preload, way out on the tip of the crankshaft. (so the belt won't slip)
The RPMs at which damaging harmonics occur are varied but none the less are occurring. It is one of the largest drawbacks in regards to supercharges.

Again, this is only one small point compared to my entire list.

In case you are wondering there is one place where a supercharger does work exceptionally well compared to N2O or Turbos.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Yes I'm familiar that a car will drop off some et and mph running in cool air versus high humidity/hot air

but saying my car will slow down almost a half second is just ludicrous!

It really depends on the density altitude. Actually since my car has a air to water aftercooler my times are pretty consistent regardless of temperature.

I understand your point though, at most and I mean at most my car off 2 tenths, that's it and I usually attribute that to the bad air we have here cause I live in the Florida swamp.

with a supercharger the stress on internals is much softer and increases with rpm, this isn't taxing hard on your drivetrain when you're cruising around. Nitrous throws a huge amount of stress on your internals when you spray.

In high altitudes the fi cars have the advantage.

But whatever if nitrous is your thing cool, if fi is your thing cool
if you have both even cooler.

I am contemplating spraying my car just for the track only, ( and if I absolutely need it on the street-against a high hp car on the street)
Just don't know which system would be better for my application wet or dry. I've heard opinions on both.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:13 PM
10 second playa

Yes I'm familiar that a car will drop off some et and mph running in cool air versus high humidity/hot air

It really depends on the density altitude. Actually since my car has a air to water aftercooler my times are pretty consistent regardless of temperature.

I understand your point though, at most and I mean at most my car off 2 tenths, that's it and I usually attribute that to the bad air we have here cause I live in the Florida swamp.

with a supercharger the stress on internals is much softer and increases with rpm, this isn't taxing hard on your drivetrain when you're cruising around. Nitrous throws a huge amount of stress on your internals when you spray.

In high altitudes the fi cars have the advantage.

But whatever if nitrous is your thing cool, if fi is your thing cool
if you have both even cooler.

I am contemplating spraying my car just for the track only, ( and if I absolutely need it on the street-against a high hp car on the street)
Just don't know which system would be better for my application wet or dry. I've heard opinions on both.

Definitely go Wet!

I am no Nitrous dealer or anything and I only run a 100 shot for safety.
No holds barred I am actually a Turbo guy. But the additional expense cannot be justified.
Usually, only if a car comes from the factory with a turbo (see Grand National) is it cost effective. (to a degree)

FI cars have a big advantage at altitude over NA cars no doubt, but not over N2O cars.

Maybe because you are in Fla. you don't see big Differences but in the
North East, it is like I said 3 - 5 tenths. I specifically ask people all the time how much their car is off on a given day.
I hear it all the time.

Yeah, I know the N20 has that big spike in HP and TQ and that is why it is so hard on the parts (one of the Cons) but, that is also one of the Pros. Big Tq and Power right off the line. The inverse is also true for the Blower, easier on parts, but you have to wait to get going.

I think for the question posted, N2O is the way to go for this guy.
If he were looking to make huge power I would have a different opinion.
But it sounds like he wants a blower anyway?

I am just happy he wants to go fast and is not selling his car to buy a Hybrid!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

very cool. so should go with a TNT F1 kit? I know I say I will only do 50 but in reality I know I will up to 100 but that's it. (yea right, lol)
Old 08-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

NAwwwwzzzz MAN
Old 08-29-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 09-07-2005, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

very cool. so should go with a TNT F1 kit? I know I say I will only do 50 but in reality I know I will up to 100 but that's it. (yea right, lol)
I like the NX MAF kit.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

my tuner said I have enough or should have enough power now, i want this thing to scare me. is that a wet kit?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

The NX kit is Wet. And its never enough.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

The NX kit is Wet. And its never enough.
No doubt about that. It's amazing how quick you get used to power and want more.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

very cool, how much will that system cost with the window switch, purge etc? Think that'll be my early x mas present, although i should do suspension before that..
Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anonymous is correct about this and some cars actually lose more than .5 seconds depending on their tune. He's also correct about belt driven superchargers causing crank walk after a lot of street driven miles.
I pretty much agree with him except on the issue of wet vs dry nitrous systems, but that's another topic.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

FWIW, my car lost .4 on motor from the winter to summer
Old 09-07-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do both!

I love the guys that list their polished wheels as part of their go-fast list

Jim
Old 09-07-2005, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DeltaT
Do both!