Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does compressed air have weight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does compressed air have weight?

Like when filling the nitrous bottle hot and it gets air in the tank? How many lbs of air can you actually get in there or can you get any?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Yes compressed air has weight, if the donor bottle is empty you can fill an N20 bottle with it.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

Ok thats exackly what I told the guy who filled my bottle but he just wouldnt listen. He says air doesnt have weight... I told him to check out a chemistry class

I just wanted to make sure I wasnt the idiot..

So will 10lbs of air go in the bottle or is it less than that?
Old 06-27-2005, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you would have to compress it to an insane amount to make it have any weight.

plus the only way of getting air to have weight is to compress it into a liquid.

you cannot put 10 lbs of air into an aluminum nitrous bottle and not have it blow up in your face...the pressure would be so extreme.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ping King

plus the only way of getting air to have weight is to compress it into a liquid.
you cant be serious... i dont even know where to begin with this statement... and absoluetly air has weight.... check out a periodic table some day those little numbers at the botom of each element are weights.....
Old 06-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Air does have wieght, atmospheric pressure. You are measuring weight of air, you know the saying good air bad air. Anyway in the nitrous world, if you filled the bottle with air it would not have enough weight to measure by normal standards. But now he could have filled your bottle with vapor, Vapor has wieght and you can get it to 24.5 lbs. But it is not usable nitrous. I have tracked serveral racer across the country and have found that all had the same problem from time to time. The car does not perform and the purge plume did not happen. They drain the bottls and refilled the performance came back and so did the purge plume. This is also why in a 64lbs. cylinder you can only get ab out 50-53 lbs out of it. The rest is lost, but still has weight. Hope this helps.
Ricky
Old 06-27-2005, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks. That was very helpful. 1 more thing tho. He told me that with 4lbs in the bottle you will not be able to use it. He said it would be worthless and I should get it filled again. Even on top of that would be better than trying to run a 100 shot on 4lbs. I have personally ran mine down to 1lb before and had no issues.. Any idea why he said this?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
Thanks. That was very helpful. 1 more thing tho. He told me that with 4lbs in the bottle you will not be able to use it. He said it would be worthless and I should get it filled again. Even on top of that would be better than trying to run a 100 shot on 4lbs. I have personally ran mine down to 1lb before and had no issues.. Any idea why he said this?
pressure drop, once a bottle gets below 1/2 its weight worth of nitrous, you will start to see a larger and larger pressure drop. this will effect the performance greatly. the lower the bottle lbs. the larger the pressure drop until you have weight and pressure but nothing really usable. at 100hp if you start a 1/4 mile pass with 5 lbs, you will have less than 4 at the end of the run. And be very rich conidtion. Now its time for a refill, remember what is in the bottle is not really useful nitrous. So you get your bottle topped off, but you really do not have a complete full bottle of useful nitrous. So keep topping or refilling the bottles off over time but once you notice a performance drop in the car with a bottle that JUST got filled, on your next refill completely drain the bottle. I recommend doing this at the refill place, it will chill the bottle, and help the transfilling for a better fill.
Ricky
Old 06-27-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

matter = anything that has mass and takes up space show that to the guy. also do what we do. put the bottle in a cooler filled with ice water, and remember, the slower you fill it, the less the bottle will heat up
Old 06-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
pressure drop, once a bottle gets below 1/2 its weight worth of nitrous, you will start to see a larger and larger pressure drop. this will effect the performance greatly. the lower the bottle lbs. the larger the pressure drop until you have weight and pressure but nothing really usable. at 100hp if you start a 1/4 mile pass with 5 lbs, you will have less than 4 at the end of the run. And be very rich conidtion. Now its time for a refill, remember what is in the bottle is not really useful nitrous. So you get your bottle topped off, but you really do not have a complete full bottle of useful nitrous. So keep topping or refilling the bottles off over time but once you notice a performance drop in the car with a bottle that JUST got filled, on your next refill completely drain the bottle. I recommend doing this at the refill place, it will chill the bottle, and help the transfilling for a better fill.
Ricky
?? With a bottle heater at 4# can't you get the pressure up to where it is full?
Old 06-27-2005, 01:08 PM

PRessure up sure. I can take a bottle with only 1lb on the scale and get to 1050 psi with a heater. The problem or pressure drop happen the moment the noid opens. You have a much larger area inside the bottle for the nitrous to boil or expand, this causes your systems pressure to fall drasticly and real quickly.
This is also why cars that have pusher system do not run rich on the big end or at the end of the bottle. They are offsetting the boiling by adding nitrogen to the topside of the liquid inside the bottle.
Ricky
Old 06-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Restricted User

Use a pusher system and I bet you can use that last 4 lbs almost entirely without problem
Old 06-27-2005, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like Im going to going to a pusher system.

Whats the best size bottle to use so you can get the most of what you have? 5 10 15? Seems like a 5lb bottle would be best and get worse as you go up.

I do keep my bottle in the freezer then put it in a cooler of ice to get the max in the bottle. This last time he told me he would put a vacuum on the bottle to clean it out and then I could definetly get 10lbs of good nitrous.

I searched again but found nothing on the vacuum as well. He said I should do it to my bottle every once in a while and charged $10 extra for this. Is this something you recommend and how often? Thanks for the help.

This isnt the place where the issue is happening however.. I stopped going there and started going to this guy and told him my problem. He said it was normal but I have ran nitrous for 6 months now and never had this problem. Normally I can tell the pressure goes down but I still get a good bit of hp out of the run. With this last 2 bottles that have had the vapor in them I get nothing. At 19lbs last time I only went rich and lost time. Usually I can start a 1/4 run w/ 17 in it and pick up 8 tenths in the 1/4. With a full bottle I get 1 to 1.1 seconds off my 1/4 time.

The other place uses a nos pump and the other guy uses a nx pump so maybe thats why the other guy gets more vapor at the end of the bottle. Or one of them doesnt let it run down as bad.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mobius
you cant be serious... i dont even know where to begin with this statement... and absoluetly air has weight.... check out a periodic table some day those little numbers at the botom of each element are weights.....
air does have weight... i mean...anything measurable and able to be contained inside a nitrous bottle would have to be compressed into a liquid...but...trying to compress ambient air into a liquid in a nitrous bottle would be impossible because of the safety blow off disc rupturing.

so you could not put 10 lbs of air into a nitrous bottle and have the seal disc not rupture from teh pressure.

Quick Reply: Does compressed air have weight?