Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No puddling with LS2 Intake.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to prove everything, if only to finally put this debate to bed

My post wasn't contradictory in any way, shape or form. Its common knowledge that you spray at too low of an RPM, you blow things up. Nobody is debating that, only the chemistry behind why it happens. There's the folks who can't let go of the "puddling" idea, and that's the part I would like to finally prove or disprove. I'm ok with it either way, and if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

A dry kit is NOT immune to a backfire through the intake sufficient enough to grenade the intake manifold as people like to preach. The only example I personally have witnessed didn't destroy the intake, but it left the driver unable to drive his car home. I paired up against a Mustang with a 150HP dry kit from NOS one late night on the feeder road. He was adding fuel via the pressure boost deal that comes with the kit. We launched, he bogged, and kaBLAMMO !!! Blew the freeze plug right out of the front of his Cobra intake. I saw a pretty sizable fireball roll out from under his car, and he coasted to the side of the road. So, dry kits aren't immune either -- less susceptable, yes but still not immune.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

feeder road. Texas Term for service road, or the road beside the freeway/ highway.. Thought I would help you out Brian... LOL this one will never be put to bed, proven not proven it will not matter there are those amongst us that just will not beleive in the power of a WET kit......
Ricky
Old 07-18-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
feeder road. Texas Term for service road, or the road beside the freeway/ highway.. Thought I would help you out Brian... LOL this one will never be put to bed, proven not proven it will not matter there are those amongst us that just will not beleive in the power of a WET kit......
Ricky
Glad you clarified feeder road, as I was picturing the return lane.
Ricky, I "believe in the power of of a WET kit...", yea, the expolsive power, literally.
Really, I don't have a problem with wet kits, they are safer today (when set up correctly) than they ever have been. I think a window sw should be included in each kit, to minimize end user error.

Brains, thanks for the input. Someone around here must know an Intake Design Engineer, that could give some insight on the puddling issue.
Robert
Old 07-18-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Wink

You wont find an engineer with insight into the "fuel puddling issue" because it doesnt exist! You "fuel puddling" guys are stubborn. lol
Old 07-18-2005, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

someone can buy my ls2 intake....i used it for a month. I also have the SDPC billet throttle cable bracket...o-rings for stock injectors from Katech Racing...and I think the fuel rail spacers....225 shipped.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
You wont find an engineer with insight into the "fuel puddling issue" because it doesnt exist! You "fuel puddling" guys are stubborn. lol
Maybe, you didn't read the original post. He states thet he read a report from GM that the puddling issues have supposedly been addressed in the LS2 manifold. I also stated that I have sited published text on this issue also. You anti fuel puddling guys need to do some research. Maybe it's a conspiracy against wet kit manufacturers. However, I still could be wrong, as it is not an absolute imo, yet.
Robert
Old 07-18-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

I dobt the puddling issue GM was refering to was fuel puddling. More likely water condensation. If GM was having fuel puddling issues running NA and having fuel puddle due to injectors we would have a big problem NA.

Anyways guys....the bottom line is wet kits are very safe...dry kits are very safe. I think a dry is a TINY bit safer when an LS1 is concerned. But its like the difference between buying 1 lottery ticket vs buying 2 lottery tickets....yes...you just doubled your odds...but from 8 million to 4 million to 1
The significance isnt worth the debate. I like my dry kits o some things...but I certainly would not hesitate to use a wet kit...even up to a 250+ shot down the intake. Especially with something like the NX MAF kit split into stages.

Take as much retard factor out of the equation with window switches, controllers, and safety items....run the kits as per instructions...and there will be no problems with either type.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

PS. The fire after a nitrous explosion has nothing to do with what caused the actual explosion. As I have suggested try spraying a dry 150 shot below 1500rpms...

I have done it ALOT

no window switch on the car and spray 150 shot off idle DRY (WOT switch on the pedal)

results ...... 1.34 60' on a 3600lb street car

NO boom

~ATVracr
Old 07-18-2005, 08:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
I have done it ALOT

no window switch on the car and spray 150 shot off idle DRY (WOT switch on the pedal)

NO boom

~ATVracr

That was me Granny didnt sign out

Game on
Old 07-18-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

383LQ4SS, yes I agree GM was talking about H2O, however, this is indictive of the fuel puddling issue.
I do agree with the rest of what you said, and for the record once again, my dream kit is a direct port wet kit, as my second stage.

cantdrv65, I also have sprayed two vehicles outa the hole with a dry kit, one was a manual and one was an auto. I also had a wot sw and no problemo. Now would I recomend this to someone new to n2o, no.
Robert
Old 07-19-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
383LQ4SS,
I do agree with the rest of what you said, and for the record once again, my dream kit is a direct port wet kit, as my second stage.
Robert
Which direct port kit are you most interested in buying and would you use a stand alone fuel system. Which ever one you pick I bet it would be very safe (no explosions).
Old 07-19-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gollum
Which direct port kit are you most interested in buying and would you use a stand alone fuel system. Which ever one you pick I bet it would be very safe (no explosions).
Probably the NXL kit and yes a stand alone. Working with Dave on fitting one of his stand alones to fit with a Vararam CAI. The NX is the trickest set-up I have seen concerning direct port. I haven't seen any intake removals with a direct port, anyone?
Robert
Old 07-19-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Wink

I have done it ALOT

NO boom

~ATVracr
So you are running a stock converter car, that flashes at 1500 rpm or below while spraying a 150 shot? And you cut 1.36 sixtys at 3600pounds ? Hmmmmm
Old 07-19-2005, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

So you are running a stock converter car, that flashes at 1500 rpm or below while spraying a 150 shot? And you cut 1.36 sixtys at 3600pounds ? Hmmmmm

What does a stock converter have to do with it?

I spray it off idle so the nitrous gets there before 1500 rpms.

and I cut a 1.34 not a 1.36 and yes it weighs 3575 (full leather interior racing)
Old 07-19-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

A large stock tight converter will lug the motor down, that might not be a good idea at all.

It will backfire if the motor lugs at low rpm. We make sure that doeesnt happen
Old 07-20-2005, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Talking

Originally Posted by ATVracr
What does a stock converter have to do with it?

I spray it off idle so the nitrous gets there before 1500 rpms.

and I cut a 1.34 not a 1.36 and yes it weighs 3575 (full leather interior racing)
You dont even use a WOT switch?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes he does.

We arent your average local yokels screwing around though, we watch stuff very closely and keep tabs
Old 07-20-2005, 02:40 PM
9 Second Club

You dont even use a WOT switch?
WOT switch on the pedal
Old 07-20-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes he does.

We arent your average local yokels screwing around though, we watch stuff very closely and keep tabs
Thats the key I have a friend who sprays his hidden setup with a handheld button no other safety equipment, but he has a stall so there is no possiblity of spraying a loaded motor below 3000 rpm...