Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are all the "purpose built" NOS race cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine ran a 9.23@149.1 last year at the Thunder Shoot out. One of the problems with N20 and high CR is keeping the damn heads strapped on the motor. I've blown a head gasket twice and lifted the heads once since then. The deck heights on LS1 based heads aren't real thick so we have some problems there. I think inorder to keeps the heads on with higher CR you need thicker decks and 1/2" studs. I also think a carbed based intake and T/B are the way to go for larger shots of N20 which is what it's going to take to beat the FI guys.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:51 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Mine ran a 9.23@149.1 last year at the Thunder Shoot out. One of the problems with N20 and high CR is keeping the damn heads strapped on the motor. I've blown a head gasket twice and lifted the heads once since then. The deck heights on LS1 based heads aren't real thick so we have some problems there. I think inorder to keeps the heads on with higher CR you need thicker decks and 1/2" studs. I also think a carbed based intake and T/B are the way to go for larger shots of N20 which is what it's going to take to beat the FI guys.

the AFR's helped alot!!! i had the same issue.
we are in testing right now for this issue, and i think we are getting close to a solution!!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Come on Brad, step-it-up a notch. Do it for all of us N2O guys. You only need to trim off 2 seconds off your time.

I was just thinking the same thing (turbo vs N20) while reading the fastest LT1 article in the new GMHT&P last night. We need someone to step up and put a turbo beat-down.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah a buddy of mine has a set of 238s he's getting ready to sell me pretty cheap, we'll see what happens. With N20 as soon as you hit the throttle you've got all your gonna get and your losing some of that(pressure drops) going down the track where as with a Turbo your still building boost all the way down the track. N20 is hard on a motor no matter how well you build it. I've been thinking about going FI after this season they just seem to hold up better than an N20 motor.

Originally Posted by Noyzee

the AFR's helped alot!!! i had the same issue.
we are in testing right now for this issue, and i think we are getting close to a solution!!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:11 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Ain't no way that N2O LS1-type motors can compete heads-up with turbo motored cars. Hell, N2O BBC cars can't compete with turbo small block cars. Just take a look at the Edelbrock series to see this.
Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
This conversation from another post got me thinking, why we don't see any hardcore, purpose built NOS cars like we see with the FI cars?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

That's BS, go watch the King of the Hill guys run, very few of them are turbo'd and the BBC multi staged N20 cars rule in that class although you are starting to see more turbos show up in KOTH.

Originally Posted by bickelfirebird
Ain't no way that N2O LS1-type motors can compete heads-up with turbo motored cars. Hell, N2O BBC cars can't compete with turbo small block cars. Just take a look at the Edelbrock series to see this.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:18 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
Come on Brad, step-it-up a notch. Do it for all of us N2O guys. You only need to trim off 2 seconds off your time.

I was just thinking the same thing (turbo vs N20) while reading the fastest LT1 article in the new GMHT&P last night. We need someone to step up and put a turbo beat-down.
Im going to try like hell. it depends how my $$$ is during the winter. that will deturmin how bad *** i can go!!!

The afr's worked well, but not perfect, now i have another thing we tried, and it is working very well so far.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats not the case in Pro Mod.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

That's BS, go watch the King of the Hill guys run, very few of them are turbo'd and the BBC multi staged N20 cars rule in that class although you are starting to see more turbos show up in KOTH.

I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

I don't think it is a viable to bring motors other than LS based into this comparison simply because there would be too many variables, for example the quickest pro mod car in the country is a nitrous car (unless that has changed with in the last one or two races, and yes turbo's are allowed in pro mod now). However I agree with you that the N2O LS1 cars are quite a bit behind the turbo cars, for the time being.

I definately want to see some nitrous cars kick the crap out of the FI cars, but I think it will be a while simply because it is probably going to take the same amount of money (if not more) as going with FI. I don't think many people would spend that kind of money on a nitrous car when they can go with FI and be in the top group of cars.

On a side not, too bad a standard SBC doesn't count,haha. There is a local racer that runs 4.7x's in the the 1/8 with a SBC that is less than 380ci's that is in a camaro. It has 3 stages of NX spray bars in the intake. It is one of the most violently launching cars I have ever seen, fun to watch haha.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:08 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
I definately want to see some nitrous cars kick the crap out of the FI cars, but I think it will be a while simply because it is probably going to take the same amount of money (if not more) as going with FI. I don't think many people would spend that kind of money on a nitrous car when they can go with FI and be in the top group of cars.
I came over to N2O from FI, and the money is about the same. maybe not the first hit, but filing bottles ect ect ect, its still cost big bucks to go fast.
if this summer/fall is good to me, then im going for a mid to low 8 second n2o car.
we shall see.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Noyzee
I came over to N2O from FI, and the money is about the same. maybe not the first hit, but filing bottles ect ect ect, its still cost big bucks to go fast.
if this summer/fall is good to me, then im going for a mid to low 8 second n2o car.
we shall see.
Good luck Noyzee, I look forward to seeing your sig change to 8.xx's in the near future
Old 08-10-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Jeremy do you guys build any plate type set ups for the carbed style intakes and T/Bs? The SHO nozzle just isn't working out for me, the dual staged MAF kit I have works better and makes the more power but you can't use dual stages in TTT5.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a contender,

Story:
Major Spray's Vette Doc's ride
Robert
Old 08-10-2005, 01:21 PM
8 second mod

Good luck Noyzee, I look forward to seeing your sig change to 8.xx's in the near future
i look forward to it as well!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:52 PM
FormerVendor

Jeremy do you guys build any plate type set ups for the carbed style intakes and T/Bs? The SHO nozzle just isn't working out for me, the dual staged MAF kit I have works better and makes the more power but you can't use dual stages in TTT5.
We will build pretty much anything a customer wants . In fact we just finished building a plate system for a very well known KOTH racer that is wanting to go TTT5 racing. The plate is a single nitrous/single fuel spray bar design that will make 700hp to wheels. The video of the first test pass with the car set on kill was insane! The car was never even thinking about hooking until it was about 50ft from the finish line (1/8 mile) .

We have built some pretty crazy stuff for guys who are limited by class rules and want the most power they can get. So it's safe to say that we can build you what ever you want.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:19 PM
8 Second Club

I'm building a full out N20 combo for the car in the sig. 402 13.5:1 solid roller combo with a carb style intake, 'glide, chance converter, plate and fogger, badass TEA heads.....etc. I've finished the chassis mods you can see them in the sig. I dunno if you can classify it as a full out racecar but it's close. I'm going to run a 346 to sort out a few things and then change over to our full out motor.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Jeremy, who do I speak to about building me the plate? I'll want atleast a 300 shot if not 500.

We will build pretty much anything a customer wants . In fact we just finished building a plate system for a very well known KOTH racer that is wanting to go TTT5 racing. The plate is a single nitrous/single fuel spray bar design that will make 700hp to wheels. The video of the first test pass with the car set on kill was insane! The car was never even thinking about hooking until it was about 50ft from the finish line (1/8 mile) .

We have built some pretty crazy stuff for guys who are limited by class rules and want the most power they can get. So it's safe to say that we can build you what ever you want.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:48 PM
FormerVendor

Jeremy, who do I speak to about building me the plate? I'll want atleast a 300 shot if not 500.
Just email or pm "NXRicky". He'll want to know some specifics like dimensions of the intake flange, any clearance issues, and orientation of any parts that will be around the throttle body. He will also probably want pics of the intake with everything on it and of it disassembled. We'll get you taken care of though.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

i'm wanting to see an all out race nitrous mill also but here is the longblock specs= 427-434 ci, 15-15.5 cr,fully ported 225s to flow 370+, sr cam with .750+lift & 280*@.050 or bigger and a 3 staged sheet metal set-up.dry-sumped also.that should be good for a conservative 1200 rwhp,given a 25-30 % driveline loss.