Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous System Installation Complete!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
In addition, there are two plugs in this area, only one has a white wire with a #10 stamped on it. So if you saw #10 and it's white, then maybe your splice connector. The standard blue ones are to big, use a yellow or pink one. you'll get it. For those reading along, this is the reason you don't try to get the wire out of the loom, there are four white wires with no way to distinguish.
Robert

Edit: Don't feel alone, as I am sorting out and doing some rewiring myself, today.
I finally got it. I did it the way you shouldn't, i.e., out of the hugely fat wire loom coming from the PCM and located under the passenger side dash.

Four white wires..............now which one is it? In my case, it was the third try of of four. Now you know why I'm not a gambler!

Anyway, I got it working sort of. I tried a 75 shot and it was impressive, but my BMN rpm window switch refuses to work when I turn on the 1st Gear Lockout feature which is the whole reason I bought it! When I have it turned off, it sprays fine. When I turn it on, it not only doesn't spray in 1st Gear, it doesn't spray at all!
Old 08-22-2005, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMN
How'd the window switch treat ya? Didn't get any PM's or emails over the weekend so I'm guessing it worked out.
I've gotten the system working ok, but when I turn on the 1st Gear Lockout feature, it's not spraying in any gear. When I have it turned off, it sprays. When I turn it on again, it not only doesn't spray in 1st Gear, it doesn't spray at all.

I have a 3500 stall torque converter. I have my ON rpm set at 3800 rpm. My shift points are set at 6400 rpm and I have my OFF rpm set at 6000 rpm so the 1st Gear Lockout should be working, but it doesn't seem like it is. I'm not feeling anything when I shift into 2nd and as my ON rpm is 3800 and my tranny, when it shifts at WOT, starts at over 4000 rpm, it should start spraying immediately.

Any ideas?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:40 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Are u in 4 cyl mode? Almost sounds like it's in 6. Comes on late and doesn't reach the turn off?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMN
Are u in 4 cyl mode? Almost sounds like it's in 6. Comes on late and doesn't reach the turn off?
Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure I have it set to 4 cylinder, but I'll check it again this morning.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:02 AM
11 Second Club

Well, I'm definitely in 4-cylinde mode with both switches in the OFF (Down) position.

I don't think this likely, but is it possible I'm just not feeling the 75 shot "kick-in" in 2nd and 3rd gears? Is there anyway to positively know I'm spraying during a WOT run and not have to rely on "seat-of-the-pants" perceptions?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2005, 05:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the bottle pressure is low or you are almost out of nitrous, you "should" feel it. I mean you are adding an additional 75 HP to the car. If we didn't feel it, then none of us would mod our cars.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Unless the bottle pressure is low or you are almost out of nitrous, you "should" feel it. I mean you are adding an additional 75 HP to the car. If we didn't feel it, then none of us would mod our cars.
That's kinda what I figured. I'm old, but I'm not dead!
Old 08-23-2005, 05:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XTrooper
That's kinda what I figured. I'm old, but I'm not dead!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:16 AM
11 Second Club

I wanna know what's happening with the BMN switch and why the problem with the 1st gear lockout mode.

I was going to order it today.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:19 AM
10 Second Club

Glad you got it working, barring the 1st gear lockout issue. There shouldn't be any question if your spraying. Get the car on a wide band dyno to make sure the A/F is safe and get a differential strut brace if you're going to launch it on the sauce with stickies.

Enjoy the ride and post some new ETs
Old 08-23-2005, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BluMachine
Glad you got it working, barring the 1st gear lockout issue. There shouldn't be any question if your spraying. Get the car on a wide band dyno to make sure the A/F is safe and get a differential strut brace if you're going to launch it on the sauce with stickies.

Enjoy the ride and post some new ETs
Thanks and thanks again for the help!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a remote pressure gauge? Trust me do not trust your bottle pressure switch. You can use your small mechanical NX gauge relocated under dash.

Spray between 1050-1000psi.

Test with first gear lockout turned off first.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

By purging system you will loose up to 50psi.

Set heater to 1100psi, minus 50psi purge = 1050psi let her rip!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Maybe this will help XTrooper...(from BMN site)

First gear Lock-Out

The Lock-Out feature is designed for off-road drag racing use only. When the Lock-Out is “on” or “activated”, it will not allow the nitrous to activate until you have went all the way through first gear and reached the turn off rpm limit. The turn off rpm limit must be reached before shifting into second gear or the Nitro Control will not switch into active mode.

Simply put, do not "short-shift" into second gear or no nitrous will spray until you shift into third! This situation can be avoided by selecting a turn off rpm that is 100 to 200 rpm before your shift point. Another way to prevent this is to take advantage of the built in shift light output.

Using a shift light will not only eliminate a short shift into second, it will also make your shifts more consistent and increase your saftey by allowing you to keep your eyes on the track and not your dash.

Once the Nitro Control reads the first to second shift, it will remain active through third, fourth, and fifth gears, etc., (even if short-shifted) until you apply the brakes at the end of your run.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:30 AM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

How bout this, are you able to see, or a passenger able to see the lights on the unit if you have the top off or is it burried under panels?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea green light must come on at specified RPM.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, here's the deal...........

The unit works fine with the 1st Gear Lockout in the OFF position both when testing (green light illuminates and engine revs) and on the street, car pulls hard in all gears.

When I turn the 1st Gear Lockout ON, nothing happens. It's acting like an ON/OFF switch for the whole setup and the system doesn't spray at all during the entire course of a WOT run.

I just got back from testing the system on the road again and I reconfirmed the fact that the system isn't working when the 1st Gear Lockout is ON, but works fine when it's OFF. I first ran a couple of runs with the Lockout ON and nothing happened in any gear, no surge of power whatsoever in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I then ran a couple of runs from a 70 mph roll with the Lockout OFF and I immediately felt the car pull hard right up to my rpm cutoff point.

1ScrudeDude: If you'll read my previous post, you'll see that what you copied is not the problem. First, I have an A4 and can't "short-shift" the car at WOT and second, the upper rpm limit is being exceeded by several hundred rpm so that can't possibly be the problem either. I actually lowered my upper rpm limit from 6100 rpm to 6000 and my shift points are set at 6400.

gollum: No, I don't have an interior pressure gauge, but if nitrous pressure were the problem, it shouldn't have anything to do with the position of the 1st Gear Lockout switch. It shouldn't work at all, not just when the 1st Gear Lockout feature is engaged.

BMN: No, no one can see it while driving, but after doing those passes from a 70 mph roll today and feeling the nitrous kick in, I can guarantee that it isn't spraying with the Lockout on.

Last edited by XTrooper; 08-23-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Oh ok gotcha X, man, I was hoping to have a simple solution for ya. I "overshot" your post

Good luck in getting the last bug out!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
Oh ok gotcha X, man, I was hoping to have a simple solution for ya. I "overshot" your post

Good luck in getting the last bug out!
No problem and thanks for trying to help. It's actually not all THAT bad. I am after all "feeling the power" ,though it would be nice if the 1st Gear Lockout feature worked as that's the main reason I went with the BMN as opposed to one of the other brands.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:08 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Tell ya what, PM me your addy and I'll get a replacement out to you this week. Just send back the one you have now afterwards. We have a new kid we just hired and we are tryin to watch him real close while he's learning but neithor of us can follow him around 100% of the time rite now so I've been paying real close attention to post and emails for anything that might slip by. So if anyone has any little quirks or problems let us know by PM or email. I would like to know or hear about any problems one may have.