Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what needed to run a 5177 kit?

Old 09-18-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what needed to run a 5177 kit?

what would all be needed to run this kit on my 01 ss guys?

ALso i know i would need a msd window switch and a wot system but what else guys

Since dry hits harder then wet
Old 09-18-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

this will be for a 100 shot as well guys
Old 09-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Nothing. All you really need is the car.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well your comment about Dry hitting harder than Wet is gonna get some responses...............for the most part it is the other way around. But that can workout to your advantage meaning you want shock the tires on the street/track as easily. If you are running a bolt on car you will be safe up to the 100shot with your stock fuel system. Don't run any type of off the shelf "power tune" on top of the nitrous.

When you order the NOS 5177 kit it comes with really good instructions, and it gives good results.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

A window switch is a good idea. The BMN window switches with the first gear lockout are nice. Don't forget a colder set of spark plugs and we have some pretty cool WOT switch brackets on our site.

Matt

Originally Posted by eric01ss
what would all be needed to run this kit on my 01 ss guys?

ALso i know i would need a msd window switch and a wot system but what else guys

Since dry hits harder then wet
Old 09-19-2005, 12:27 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TPS switch/Heater/NOS Filter/TR6's
Matt at Harris Speed Works can help u w/these extra's
Old 09-19-2005, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

For all questions, please assume 100-125 shot at most with 5177 kit. Doesn't the kit come with a TPS switch? DO you "need" colder plugs or will stock ratings work? I know a window switch is a good idea, but what about just using a push button at your finger tips? Can you spray beyond 6k or under 3k in any circumstance, or is it simply forbidden and asking for trouble? As for tune, what all should be changed? Are you mainly just concerned with timing? Will stock timing be OK? I do not want a "spray car" just to be able to use it once in a while. Not sure if I will do it at all, I just want to get all my ducks in a row before I take the plunge.

Sorry if I hijacked. I thought it would be OK since it is on same subject.
Thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 03:00 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, the kit should come with a WOT switch. People have sprayed before on the stock heat range plugs and have been okay. Some other people have tried it too with not so good results. Do you want to play it safe? I personally would never spray a car with the stock heat range plugs in it. Play it safe and do it right, get some NGK TR-6 plugs. A push button is fine, but what happens if you're too slow on releasing the button and hit the rev limiter? The rev limiter is going to cut fuel and you’re spraying.... Again, do it right, why risk your motor, unless you can afford a new one? On a progressive nitrous set up you can spray below 3 k. On any other you're starting to look for trouble. Sure, it might work a few times, but it takes only once for a motor to go out. A dry kit will pull some timing when sprayed, so the only thing with the tune MIGHT be your A/F, but most dry kits are good to go in that area.

Matt

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
For all questions, please assume 100-125 shot at most with 5177 kit. Doesn't the kit come with a TPS switch? DO you "need" colder plugs or will stock ratings work? I know a window switch is a good idea, but what about just using a push button at your finger tips? Can you spray beyond 6k or under 3k in any circumstance, or is it simply forbidden and asking for trouble? As for tune, what all should be changed? Are you mainly just concerned with timing? Will stock timing be OK? I do not want a "spray car" just to be able to use it once in a while. Not sure if I will do it at all, I just want to get all my ducks in a row before I take the plunge.

Sorry if I hijacked. I thought it would be OK since it is on same subject.
Thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Teching In

what about spraying a 100 shot wet what all will need to be adressed as far as tunning goes. I will have a ("crapy" but cheap narow band air fuel guage would you say just keep an eye on that and make sure it doesnt lean out. I dont know what to do about the tuning aspect of sprayin would i be ok on a wet shot with the mods i have (in signature) and maybe a mass airflow translator that will adjust your AF ratio,FPSS,and a window switch,with a air fuel ratio meter (will be a cheap narow band unit) but would that work.

Last edited by Odessastangslayer; 09-19-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for your reply. How much is N2O anyhow. Say for example, how much to fill a 15lb bottle?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most places are round $3-$4 a pound, so figure $45-$60 to fill a 15 pound bottle.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:51 PM
FormerVendor

Since you have not advanced your timing at all there really isn't anything to address on the tune. Since you'll be using a wet shot you can tune the A/F (if needed) with the fuel jet.

Matt

Originally Posted by Odessastangslayer
what about spraying a 100 shot wet what all will need to be adressed as far as tunning goes. I will have a ("crapy" but cheap narow band air fuel guage would you say just keep an eye on that and make sure it doesnt lean out. I dont know what to do about the tuning aspect of sprayin would i be ok on a wet shot with the mods i have (in signature) and maybe a mass airflow translator that will adjust your AF ratio,FPSS,and a window switch,with a air fuel ratio meter (will be a cheap narow band unit) but would that work.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

It's totally dependent on what part of the country you're in. The guys down in TX have it good. Up here in PA and NJ it's a bit expensive. Most shops around us charge $4.50 - $5.50 a pound. A few of them even charge you a "handling fee" to hook up your bottle! We charge $3.60 a pound.

Matt

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
Thanks for your reply. How much is N2O anyhow. Say for example, how much to fill a 15lb bottle?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Would the Colder plug hinder N/A performance?

Search this Thread