Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dip stick popping out

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dip stick popping out

well i finally decided to spray my car and i go with 100 wet, and after that day ever since my dip stick pops out and oil goes all over, and also oil goes in my throttle body from the line that comes from the valve cover has anyone had that problem before if so what was it
Old 09-20-2005, 10:14 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

running too rich maybe, that was my problem....and maybe too much timing....get it on a chassis dyno with AF ratio monitoring capacity...
Old 09-20-2005, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blow by, not a good thing it your car pops the dipstick out when just driving (no nitrous) sounds like a craked ring land or broken ring
Old 09-20-2005, 10:17 PM
FormerVendor

EDIT- This happens all the time, even NA? If so cyipher is correct. It might be time for a leak down test.

It could be a clogged PVC system or could also be crank case pressure related. Check your valve cover gaskets and see if they blew out as well, just to be safe. You could try a valve cover breather or a vacuum pump, the vacuum pump being on the extreme end of the spectrum.

Matt

Originally Posted by jrs01z28
well i finally decided to spray my car and i go with 100 wet, and after that day ever since my dip stick pops out and oil goes all over, and also oil goes in my throttle body from the line that comes from the valve cover has anyone had that problem before if so what was it
Old 09-20-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

That sounds like bad blow-by. Hopefully I am wrong when I say it sounds like a hole in a piston or part of your ring was burnt away. What it seems is happening is the pressure of compression is blowing into your oil pad and causing what you are seeing. The only thing I know that can do that is what I stated above. Hopefully someone else will chime in and prove me wrong, but I don't think so... Sorry.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm with Matt, first thing to check is your PCV (everyone always mistypes that as PVC, ). That's the cheap/easy thing. And hopefully God will be on your side and it will be that.

Beyond that, it's likely a ring or ringland gave up.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:48 PM
FormerVendor

Crap! LOL.

Matt

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
I'm with Matt, first thing to check is your PCV (everyone always mistypes that as PVC, ). That's the cheap/easy thing. And hopefully God will be on your side and it will be that.

Beyond that, it's likely a ring or ringland gave up.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any update on this? Everytime I drive my car I see the dipstick a couple of inches up. It was happening with my older motor, and now with my new forged one as well. Anyone have the part number for the newer PCV valve? I think I will change the dipstick too.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dynoed my car on a 100 shot, was already smoking a bit, had blow by I think, #7 piston, then on the run ON THE NITROUS smoke came out of the tail pipes, especially on decel, then that blew my dipstick out, oil went all over the place and Bye Bye Motor!!!

#7 Piston was gone and had to get a new 346 on an 01 Vette with 18K miles on it
Old 11-28-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

only time I ever had blow by to pop out my dispstick was when my motor was F*****d up, Prob time for that new short block.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

After looking at it, I think my dipstick is f'ed up. I originally thought it was some type of fancy design that has two parts to it, but its cracked. The top yellow part has become into two parts. When it blows off, the bottom yellow part is still sealing the dipstic tube, but the top part of the yellow is a couple of inches high, if that makes sense.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyipher
blow by, not a good thing it your car pops the dipstick out when just driving (no nitrous) sounds like a craked ring land or broken ring

Good call!!!!, I had the same problem, rings were fried. I bet 100 to 1 it's cylinder # 7 Thats the weakest one on the food chain. For some reason LS1 motors love to loose # 7.

If for some mircle it isn't the problem, try a breather where your oil fill is.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

I bet your short block is f'd. BUT I did have a similar problem with mine. it blew the dipstick off at about the 1000 ft mark on a run. I put on a breather and changed the PCV valve and it was fine. didn't loose any power at all.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

I am also having this problem with my 96 6spd lt1. If i stay flat footed between shifts it blows the dipstick up a couple of inches. Now could that be from possibly hitting the rev limiter for a split secound? Before the heads and cam i could hit the rev limiter all day but now it seems that i have to stay a couple 100 rpms away from it. I did a compression check on all cylinders and they all seem to be between 170-190 except for the #8 which is right at 150 psi. Is that exceptable or not or is that my blowby issue? Thanks for any input.