Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast intake upper blow off idea..ONLY!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the bolts they use on blowers to let them lift? If they could make them in the right size and set at the right strengh that should be all you need.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you mean the wimpy aluminum studs? I think that the plastic manifold would still give first. It's an inherent flaw, but one that is widely accepted.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
We have 9.8 drag radial dry shot h/c street cars around here, do they count as fast cars?
And how is your FAST manifold?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by MPFD
The intake wouldn't travel straight up in an explosion. It would only ignite in one of the intake runners and would push horizontally on the intake pressing it into another corner of the valley and against the other head. When the explosion occurs in the intake runner it is looking for the shortest possible route out, and therefore, the plastic intake runner would come apart long before the spring could do its work. For the spring to work the expanding gasses from the explosion would have to travel clear into the head find the intake valve closed, then travel back to the intake and find a dead end to push against. This is why the blow off panels work because the are directly in the intake runner and can give way instantaniously.
In a back fire the explosion goes into ever direction not just a side to side or up and down.. I think the intake would lift off with out damage but more than likely not set down squarly and seal back up, but should save the intake..
Anyway just an idea. for discussion.

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
We have 9.8 drag radial dry shot h/c street cars around here, do they count as fast cars?
Ok you bragging but yes i would say that is a fast car. But would go faster with a wet kit.

Originally Posted by n2ojunkie
what about the bolts they use on blowers to let them lift? If they could make them in the right size and set at the right strengh that should be all you need.
I thought of that, but then you have to set up a harness to keep the intake from turner you stock hood into one those huge cowls hoods. Again I think would work but seal back down...

Ricky
Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

That is a great idea! With the velocity of most explosions, I dont know if it would save the intake, kinda doubt it actually, but it certainly could....PS there isnt an intake MADE that is backfire proof...Ive seen cast iron intakes split on old SBCs.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's exaactly what I'm talking about. All this talk about trying to save a plastic intake manifold in the event of a nitrous backfire is a nioce thought, but not very realistic.