Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Offten Should You Check Your Solenoids.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one thing to add so people do not go into panic mode. I have worked for NX for 6 years in those 6 years I have seen only a handfull of pistons that swelled do to plain old gasoline..(at least they said they never ran any additives). And have order thousands upon thousands of solenoids, so the odds are low, kind of like a shark bite, or winning the lottery, it can happen.
Ricky
Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

As Ricky has already said, this is not something that everyone needs to start panicking about. This is a very very rare occurence when plain old pump gas is used. This is just something that should be kept in check by inspecting the solenoids every once in a while. Call it preventative maintenence.

1BADAIR- You are more than welcomed to send the solenoids to me if you would like to do so. I will test, rebuild, and retest them for if you decide to send them in.

terry s - We are currently working on a material that will hold up consistantly to both alcohol and gasoline. On the topic of dedicated fuel systems, the only downside I can see is the cost involved. However, the benefits outweigh that cost in my opinion. A dedicated fuel system gives you the ability to run any fuel you want wether it's a high octane gas or even straight alcohol, both of which will help in reducing the chances of detonation. Plus, it gives you the ability to run either a high pressure or a low pressure tune which allows a much much larger window of error for tuning purposes.

Just my 1/2 cent.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ricky & Jeremy:
Thanks for the replies. You guys are a great part of wht NX has such a good reputation. Instead of sweeping this topic aside you are willing to look into it.

I did not intend for this to be a panic issue, but hopefully a chance to learn and inform others. I may be wrong but I really think ethenol has a very good chance of becoming common place if not mandatory.

The real panic will be for the first guy who pops his motor. He will be saying why didn't someone tell me this could happen, and he won't be to interested in hearing that it hasn't happend very often etc.

I don't know how many others like me are out there, but I'm just a recreational nitrous user. I would like to keep it simple and safe. Frankly if it turns out that the answer is to put on a dedicated fuel system I will be looking at a super charger instead.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
Also I use Sunoco gas with has ethenol. It seems to run the best. Should I avoid it due to the ethenol???
If you are saying you use gas with ethenol without nitrous that is fine. If you plan to spray with the same fuel you may be at risk. If it were me I would stay away from ethenol on spray untill more is known about the effect on your fuel solenoid.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to add West coast oxygenated fuel (The only fuel we can buy at the pumps now) is 10%. This does effect Fuel trims and the power we can make on the fuel
Old 12-01-2005, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Anybody have any pics of noid service? I am new to all this and i would like to take mine apart and check them out. hanks
Old 12-01-2005, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I would like to add West coast oxygenated fuel (The only fuel we can buy at the pumps now) is 10%. This does effect Fuel trims and the power we can make on the fuel

Sunoco fuel here is 10% too. I use it cause it's 94octane.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jqhawk
Anybody have any pics of noid service? I am new to all this and i would like to take mine apart and check them out. hanks
You will need a solenoid rench to do so. We keep them instock. I will see if I can or if NX can get a detailed walk through next week on how to tear it down. This week is a bad week for all of us.
Dave
Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

where can i get the tool to take them apart? I took my N2O noid apart once... im sure it would have been easier with the right tool.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 PM
FormerVendor

We have solenoid wrenches; I think they are $5 (I'm at PRI so I'm not in front of a price list). Another option is to just use two nuts on the tower to open the solenoid up. There will be a plunger and small spring, take a look at the plunger, the material should be flush. If it looks like the attached pics replace it (yeah, the picts aren't the best). It's real easy to check them, maybe 5 minutes, if that. It takes longer to change your oil LOL. I fully agree with what was said above, it is pretty rare, but it does happen and can be eliminated via regular maintenance.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails How Offten Should You Check Your Solenoids.-picture014.jpg   How Offten Should You Check Your Solenoids.-plunger.jpg  
Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Default What effect does water have on solenoids?

I cap off my purge line with a slip on vaccum cap to keep water from getting into the purge solenoid from rain or washing the car. I'll bet that the water vapor that seems present in the bottle gets into the lines and causes some surface rust in the solenoids? Maybe...maybe not? Comments, cuss words....
Old 12-02-2005, 10:06 AM
FormerVendor

Matt@HSW - Damn! Those pistons are swollen pretty bad! Please tell me you changed those out before any damage occured to whatever vehicle they were on, lol. I have seen some like that too though, in fact mine looked exactly like that when I put the #7 rod through my block.

Macon- You are correct, moisture in the solenoids can and does rust the piston and the inside of the tower. I have had customers send solenoids in for rebuild that were so rusted the piston would not even move inside of the tower. So it is definately a good idea to cap off the purge line and to keep the lines empty when you're not using the system.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Macon, that's a good idea, I'm going to add that to my trick book. I have been tapping the end or purging after washing. The one and only noid failure I had was due to water and what Jeremy said. I would prob have caught it though but often neglect purge noid when servicing. Mine stuck open and lost a full bottle and was rusted up and all kinds of junk. Cleaned it up and has been fine since. I also put a high spot it purge line to trap water, cause I often forget the tape (now a vucuum plug) when washing cars. so, guys don't forget your purge noid also.
Robert
Old 12-02-2005, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
where can i get the tool to take them apart? I took my N2O noid apart once... im sure it would have been easier with the right tool.
WE have them in stock for 5.00
Dave
Old 12-02-2005, 03:02 PM
FormerVendor

LOL, tell me about it. I didn't get a chance to take a pic of the experience I was describing, I came across those pics here on Tech.

Matt

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
Matt@HSW - Damn! Those pistons are swollen pretty bad! Please tell me you changed those out before any damage occured to whatever vehicle they were on, lol. I have seen some like that too though, in fact mine looked exactly like that when I put the #7 rod through my block.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:08 PM
FormerVendor

I see. I guess if you play with this stuff long enough everyone is going to experince some type of damage, lol.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Macon, that's a good idea, I'm going to add that to my trick book. I have been tapping the end or purging after washing. The one and only noid failure I had was due to water and what Jeremy said. I would prob have caught it though but often neglect purge noid when servicing. Mine stuck open and lost a full bottle and was rusted up and all kinds of junk. Cleaned it up and has been fine since. I also put a high spot it purge line to trap water, cause I often forget the tape (now a vucuum plug) when washing cars. so, guys don't forget your purge noid also.
Robert
I keep a pill bottle 1/2 dozen caps in the center console...i'm down to 3-4 because I forget them and purge them into the statosphere...I do need to find black ones for the black car too.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have had two pistons swell on me, one NX and one TNT. i was lucky enough to be extemely **** and test them before every use. needless to say i got to be a pain in the *** so i am currently off the juice. i wish i could win the lotto twice.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by algws6
i have had two pistons swell on me, one NX and one TNT. i was lucky enough to be extemely **** and test them before every use. needless to say i got to be a pain in the *** so i am currently off the juice. i wish i could win the lotto twice.
Al,
You just need to hurry up and bring me that Z06 so I can tear it apart. When we get done you will not have to worry about swelling fuel psistons because of crappy El paso gas.
Dave