Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Discussion Concerning Chemical Makeup

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The N2O2 I think would work ok as long as you could find the happy spot with the ratio of Nitrous to Fuel. Getting there though would probably be a bitch.

Like Ricky pointed out earlier, it wouldn't benefit a person unless they have maxed out their nitrous system or they have physically maxed out the volume that their motor can ingest. In another discussion that Ricky and I had, it was brought up that this would really help guys that race in classes that limit the nitrous system with things like jet size, number of stages, or type of system (DP, single nozzle, or plate). However, as soon as people knew a person was using this in a class like that there would more than likely be immediate rule changes. So it would have to be kept hush hush, such as it has been in Pro Mod, not that it has been confirmed in Pro Mod...yet.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

Homeslice, I don't think they would be using any form other than the N2O2. I agree that that other forms (N203 through N205) would not be used because they are either a solid that converts directly to gas without going throught the liquid phase, or because they are simply to volatil.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Deffintly interesting.
Dave
Old 12-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

wonder about the burn rate,,, what you might have to do with the timing... if anything.
Ricky
Old 12-15-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

... if I could just figure out how to meter pure O2 in a small enough amount, i could get rid of the nitrogen part totally.

Anyways, i was told that the nitrogen atoms actually help to slow down the flame front when using nitrous oxide. i'd bet that using any thing more potent than N2O would equal a timing nightmare. but thats all based on what i remember form high school science almost ten years ago, so take it for what its worth.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

Pure Oxygen is very volatile and would be very hard on parts. That's where the Nitrogen helps, it acts as a buffer.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

N3O2 a thought
Old 12-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Which promods are you talking about if its Shannon Jenkins or Mike Castleanna. If you are thats in the tune up. I can confirm to you we are not using anything but medical grade.
Its been announced as the "Speedtech blue tube tune up" before.

And it hardly ever burns anything up. We have only burnt a couple pistons this year.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

No. Although I have to admit that those two are the most bad *** nitrous Pro Mod's in the world, but there are other's (to which I'm referring to). I have seen Jenkins' car have the blueish flame, but I've not seen any video Castleanna's car run so I couldn't say wether or not his does, but if you say it does then I would go along with it. Besides, it's all rumors which is why I brought it up here. To see if anyone's heard of it, thought about it, used it, or knows where to get it (I would like some myself, lol).

By the way congrats on the finishes this season. Keep it up next year.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are couple reasons many of these nitrogen oxide compounds aren't used. Nitrous oxide N2O works due to the structure of the molecule. Look at Macon's avitar - pressure and temperature allows the break down to N2 with a triple bond between and giving off free oxygen a strong oxidizing agent for combustion. For good combustion you need the molecule's structure to be suitable for easy oxygen release. If you really want more bang from the bottle Propylene oxide was the way to go - it's also banned by NHRA since its a great oxidizer and fuel source.

If anyone wants a better explaination PM me 'cause it could take a while to write up .
Old 12-17-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
No. Although I have to admit that those two are the most bad *** nitrous Pro Mod's in the world, but there are other's (to which I'm referring to). I have seen Jenkins' car have the blueish flame, but I've not seen any video Castleanna's car run so I couldn't say wether or not his does, but if you say it does then I would go along with it. Besides, it's all rumors which is why I brought it up here. To see if anyone's heard of it, thought about it, used it, or knows where to get it (I would like some myself, lol).

By the way congrats on the finishes this season. Keep it up next year.
I saw a picture of Mike's car with the blue flame coming out of his header. I'll see if I can find it again so I can post it up.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
If you really want more bang from the bottle Propylene oxide was the way to go - it's also banned by NHRA since its a great oxidizer and fuel source.
Not to mention, highly explosive.