Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

250 on pump gas 502?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250 on pump gas 502?

I know this is not a LSx motor but this is the most informative nitrous forum that I could find. Right now I am running iron headed 502 with 8.75:1 compression in my 67 Camaro. It has forged JE pistons.

Currently I am running a 150 shot through a direct port plumbed under the intake manifold. I backed the timing off by 2 degrees to 34 fully advanced and installed plugs one heat range colder gapped at .035. I have a separate fuel pump and regulator just for the nitrous system and I tuned it for a safe afr on the dyno. Currently it puts down about 480rwhp and 670 lb/ft on a mustang dyno.

I’m stepping up to a 250 shot now and really want to do this on pump gas. Pretty much I was wondering what would have to be done to be able to run this on pump gas so I don’t have to top off with race fuel every time I want to spray.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I think it might. It depends on the rest of the setup and what rpm you acivate it, etc.

I am almost certain you could do it on pump gas if you did a dual stage by rpm....or progressive by RPM with something that has RPM based control. Your CI and compression should be very very pump gas freindly.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:52 AM
Teching In

One thing I forgot to add is that there is 3 feet of line between the solenoids and the nozzles. Because of this the nitrous does not hit as hard as a normal dp kit where the solenoids go right into the distribution blocks.

Also the 250hp shot would only be used in second, third, and fourth gears between about 3800 and 5400 rpm. As it stands I will probably pull a ton of timing and take it to the dyno with my wideband hooked to it then start adding timing till I either get scared or don't see a power increase.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Banned

I'm sure you can do it on pump gas but why? Just run some 104 or so in the fuel cell for the nitrous and keep pump in the car. You wouldn't have to change your timing from NA to nitrous. Extra safe and extra power. If you didn't have the extra fuel system for the nitrous I could see worring about it. It would cost much more just to run it on the nitrous side either. But to answer your question I'm sure you can with a 500ci motor and low compression with timing pulled.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

i'd drop the timing down to 30 * and run 104 in the stand-alone. it usually only takes one backfire to find out the hardway.