Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry to Wet????? Help!!!!

Old 01-24-2006, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Dry to Wet????? Help!!!!

Ok, first my set up. I just put in a g5x3 cam, 42lb injectors, racetronix fuel pump, and a nos 5177 dry kit.

i want to get it tuned but now im told that my dry kit basically sucks. that i should go wet. i want to only spray a 125 shot. do i really need a wet kit? i do want safety but i just spent all this money and dont have anymore lol
Old 01-24-2006, 04:34 PM
FormerVendor

You'll be fine, there is nothing wrong with dry or that kit. Keep it and spray away!

Matt
Old 01-24-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Matt. The 5177 is probably the most used kit on the lsx platform for dry. Give it a chance, and this site is chock full of 5177 users and posts on what it can do. After that if you still want to go wet, any vendor on site can set you up for a wet conversion. Check my time below for a 5177 on a absolutly bone stock long block with only CAI as a mod, they perform well. Better dry kits on the market now value/build wise, but still nothing wrong with the NOS kit. Check out my web, and in my links section for mucho onfo on the 5177. tech questions are welcome.
Robert
Old 01-24-2006, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

do i still get it tuned for the nitrous? im barely going to spray it. just a couple times at the track. and maybe sometimes on the street. how is my gas mileage gonna be with the bigger injectors?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:14 PM
FormerVendor

There isn't a whole lot of tuning per say for the dry shot. You will need a tune for the larger injectors. If done correctly you shouldn't see any hit in the mileage.

Matt

Originally Posted by Letsndy
do i still get it tuned for the nitrous? im barely going to spray it. just a couple times at the track. and maybe sometimes on the street. how is my gas mileage gonna be with the bigger injectors?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a REBEL with out a clue.
If you had the G5 X3 tuned how much advance did they put in? The only problem i've seen is the advance put into tunes. That controls the surging
but wreaks havoc on spray. If you know your tuning more info is helpful.
The only reason i bring it up is most people don't think about this.
Hawk
Old 01-24-2006, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

i havent gotten it tuned yet. i was gonna make a appointment but was told by the shop that i need to do a wet kit
Old 01-25-2006, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
There isn't a whole lot of tuning per say for the dry shot. You will need a tune for the larger injectors. If done correctly you shouldn't see any hit in the mileage.

Matt
i called them back and they told me again to go with a wet kit. they also said that 42lb injectors are too big. that i should go 30lbs. if i stay with the dry.

can i just get it tuned for the cam and get the 30 lb injectors. and then just spray like a 75-100 instead of the 125 shot without a tune? i just dont want to screw anything up.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

The 42s are nowhere "too big", since you already have them my suggestion would be to keep them, who is doing the PCM tune? If it's the same shop and they can't tune a 42 lb injector well...

It's really your call, if you want to go with a wet kit then by all means do so, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the combo that you already own.

Matt

i called them back and they told me again to go with a wet kit. they also said that 42lb injectors are too big. that i should go 30lbs. if i stay with the dry.

can i just get it tuned for the cam and get the 30 lb injectors. and then just spray like a 75-100 instead of the 125 shot without a tune? i just dont want to screw anything up.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

42's being to big is absolute nonsense. I would look for another tuner, one that knows what they are doing. Sounds like they are afraid of a dry kit, as many tuners haven't got a clue. Your fine with what you have.
Robert
Old 01-25-2006, 10:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

42s will be fine..... Maybe alittle big for a basicaly stock engine but it will be fine.

I think that something like 36s would be more idea for your set up but since you already have 42 stick with them.
Dave
Old 01-26-2006, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

thanks guys! i really appreciate your input! im gonna stick with what i got!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

i havent gotten it tuned yet. i was gonna make a appointment but was told by the shop that i need to do a wet kit

funny!
You should find another shop and get tuned properly for the 42 lb injectors.
Your dry system will work fine and will not need a different tune for the nitrous.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:14 AM
KVU
Staging Lane

MPFI intakes are not designed to flow fuel! Wet kits are the number one cause for intake backfires.

The key to making power is to create a denser charge. That is why dry kits make more power than wet or direct port.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KVU

MPFI intakes are not designed to flow fuel! Wet kits are the number one cause for intake backfires.

The key to making power is to create a denser charge. That is why dry kits make more power than wet or direct port.
I disagree 100% that a dry kit makes a 'denser charge'. Please explain why you would think this. And while your at it, explain why you think a dry kit would make 'more power' than a wet kit.

Vinny
Old 01-26-2006, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vinny,
I had typed a responce to this but decided to leave it alone.. I knew someone else would though.LOL
Dave
Old 01-26-2006, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KVU

Forget about how a dry will make more power than a wet, I need to know about this super duper dry kit that will outperform a direct port!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

An intake manifold makes a living by timing pressure pulses at the intake valve and using momentum to increase pressure near the valve. The extent to which this happens depends greatly on the mass involved. Temperature/density affects the mass.

As far as efficiency goes for turning X-amount of N2O into Y-amount of power,
the direct port is the bottom of the barrel since it gives the least benefit to the intake manifold tuning.

With smaller shots, a wet system can increase density in the manifold more than a dry shot, due simply to the percentage of N2O compared to ambient air going into the intake, and the added cooling & mass of the extra fuel.
A larger dry N2O shot would easily outpower a wet system due simply to the fact that evaporating N2O absorbs tons more heat energy than evaporating fuel. Trying to jet a wet system up to a very high level would be disasterous and probably launch the intake manifold into orbit.

If we're not talking efficiency, but all out power, then the direct port is king, followed by the dry system, and then the wet system. Pretty much the only reason a direct port comes out on top at the higher power levels is because of better distribution.

See when you say 'outperform' it could mean more than one thing.

the wet vs dry debate
Old 01-26-2006, 12:21 PM
KVU
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99sprayjunkie
Forget about how a dry will make more power than a wet, I need to know about this super duper dry kit that will outperform a direct port!
Intake air temps drop dramatically with a dry kit. The intake charge is more powerful not just because of the air density but also due to the intake "working" better. It's effectively creating a greater pressure differential in the port.

Then you have the fact that one solenoid & nossle/jet will have less pressure drop (in the line) than 8 of em. Dry shots hit harder for that reason combined with a denser charge.

Judging by demeanor, I don't think there is no convincing ya'll. So instead of debating me, save it. You guys are right, I'm wrong. I mean ****, with a name like nitrous dave..he must know EVERYTHING

Last edited by KVU; 01-26-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:25 PM
KVU
Staging Lane

I'm talking up to 250-300hp, then DP is better..

Search this Thread