Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 90mm Intake - Burst Panels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 02:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation FAST 90mm Intake - Burst Panels?

I plan on running a 150-200 TNT wet kit on my Fast 90/NW 90 setup this spring. We've all heard (and likely seen!) the horror stories of backfires that damage the manifold. The FAST is nice because each of it's 3 components can be replaced individually, but each piece is still relatively expensive!

From what I've read, burst panels are designed to burst and somehow relieve pressure before the manifold is damaged. Is this reliable information? I'd hate to waste the $150 on a burst panel kit only to have a backfire that wipes out the manifold, but leaves the panels in perfect condition.

Also - how can you tell when a burst panel is shot?

Thanks in advance for your advice fellas - just making this setup as safe (and cost effective!) as possible.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

TTT - Come on guys!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did not go with the panels after I saw the size of them. I also believe there was a guy that had the panels, had a backfire and still damaged the intake. I know a few other guys that have the FAST but did not go for the burst panels either.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got the Fast with no burst panels. havent had any back fires yet. I seen them in the summit magazine last week. Dont really see those helping much with nitrous.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
I plan on running a 150-200 TNT wet kit on my Fast 90/NW 90 setup this spring. We've all heard (and likely seen!) the horror stories of backfires that damage the manifold. The FAST is nice because each of it's 3 components can be replaced individually, but each piece is still relatively expensive!

From what I've read, burst panels are designed to burst and somehow relieve pressure before the manifold is damaged. Is this reliable information? I'd hate to waste the $150 on a burst panel kit only to have a backfire that wipes out the manifold, but leaves the panels in perfect condition.

Also - how can you tell when a burst panel is shot?

Thanks in advance for your advice fellas - just making this setup as safe (and cost effective!) as possible.
There was a video floating around on one of these sites showing an intake explosion (on a dyno) and the burst panel was still intact. I'm not saying they're all like that, but at least one of them was...
Old 02-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

well last night one of the guys here in town went 10.1 at 140 and next pass the intake blew up form backfire. nor sure if he had burst panels but i know it was enough to crack the front fenders and break the hood in half and catch the car on fire for about 3 mins and destroy all electrical under the hood... that was a 150 shot... so i would doubt a burst panel can releive that much pressure that fast.... just my $.02
Old 02-09-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

I have seen a FAST 90 with burst panels after a backfire, the panels were intact, but the back of the intake was blown off
Old 02-09-2006, 03:50 PM
8 second mod

i will be spraying 400 or more, and im not getting the pannals. if it blows, i dont think they will help me lol
Old 02-09-2006, 04:52 PM
10 Second Club

Wow, that was an overwhelming no. I guess I'll take my chances and save the $150. Thanks guys!
Old 02-09-2006, 05:04 PM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Wow, that was an overwhelming no. I guess I'll take my chances and save the $150. Thanks guys!
haha, yhea, the 150 will by you more spray!!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

I think it was Al (383) that said he's seen a few motors saved by the burst panels. Someone reputable here did if it wasn't him. It might be a worthwhile upgrade just incase you're one of the lucky few.

There was also a big discussion about this a while ago, NXRicky and a few others were actually talking about cutting a panel out of the bottom of the FAST and reattaching it using springs, or a low hold glue. The problem with the burst panels is that if there is a backfire, they're so small that even if they do burst, there's no way they can relieve the pressure in time to save the intake.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joey - I chose NOT to use the burst panels. My feeling is that they probably will, take some strain off the expolsion...my guess is that the intake is more often than not unuseable. I guess there simply ins't intake insurance with a wet kit. I do believe with all my research that none of these manifolds were designed for use with nitrous and atomized fuel flowing through them. But with the design of modern nozzles and the fairly high velocities runninmg through the intake, that puddling is not as big an issue as it once was unless there is a solenoid failure or equivilent. This is my guess based on posts and my experiences so far. I'll add I look forward to meeting you, hopefully this spring or summer. Look for a PM later too! Carolina Rides.com is a great board. Good job.

- Macon

Quick Reply: FAST 90mm Intake - Burst Panels?