Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pumps...one or two?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pumps...one or two?

I am currently in the process of setting up my fuel system on my race car. This is a race car only, and will only see very limited test runs on the street.

It will be a 14:1 compression 408, huge solid roller, edelbrock single plane setup with a 4bbl TB on it, along with a Nitro Daves/NX 4 solenoid Direct port setup(300-400 shot). I will be running the whole system off of one 5 gallon fuel cell mounted in front of the radiator, on straight 114 or higher fuel.

My question is, what do I need for the fuel system? I contacted Magnafuel about this and here is what they said to use

-One 4301 Pro-tuner 1500 hp EFI pump (to feed motor and nitrous)
-9633 Carb Fuel pressure(low pressure) regulator (used to bring down EFI pressure to carb pressure)
-9950- EFI fuel pressure regulator (high hp one)

I will be using a -12 feed line from fuel cell to fuel pump, -10 from fuel pump to -10 fuel log from magnafuel....then a -10 feeding Carb/Nitrous regulator, two -8's from fuel log to back of fuel rails, then -8s into EFI reg, then -8 return back to the fuel cell. Nitrous/Carb reg. will have -6 lines feeding the fuel solenoids, along with bypass fittings/jets installed at each solenoid.

Do you guys think I should run 2 pumps, one for motor only and one for nitrous only? The car is already wired up with switches and relays for 2 fuel pumps, so thats not an issue. OR, should I run it all of one huge pump like the one listed above?

Any knowledgable advice is appreciated
Old 02-15-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

if you can get one pump to do it stick with it. two good pumps will cost the same. I run two because that's the way my car was setup before.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

That pump that Magnafuel recommend is a good one and will easily do the job of supplying the motor and the nitrou system. I would say if you don't mind spending quite a bit on the fuel system, then just go with one bad *** pump instead of two.

Another option is the Aeromotive Pro Series pump. It flows over 700lbs/hr @ 50psi and/or over 900lbs/hr @ 10psi, and will support up to 1800hp. Aeromotive also makes regulators that are adjustable from 3-65psi (has two springs that you swap out for either low pressure or high pressure) so you could just use two of those regulator (one for motor and one for nitrous). Just throwing some thoughts out there, I like both companies (we sell both companies parts too).

Either way would be a good choice. Both companies make top notch parts that will perform well.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
That pump that Magnafuel recommend is a good one and will easily do the job of supplying the motor and the nitrou system. I would say if you don't mind spending quite a bit on the fuel system, then just go with one bad *** pump instead of two.

Another option is the Aeromotive Pro Series pump. It flows over 700lbs/hr @ 50psi and/or over 900lbs/hr @ 10psi, and will support up to 1800hp. Aeromotive also makes regulators that are adjustable from 3-65psi (has two springs that you swap out for either low pressure or high pressure) so you could just use two of those regulator (one for motor and one for nitrous). Just throwing some thoughts out there, I like both companies (we sell both companies parts too).

Either way would be a good choice. Both companies make top notch parts that will perform well.

I am trying to stay away from Aeromotive pumps as a friend of mine had an a-1000 burn up on him and it cost him a motor (was feeding motor and nitrous).

As for regulators, is a bypass style recomended (return style) for the nitrous system? Or should I use the air bleeders on each of the noids? I know the motor one is a return style, just wondering about the Nitrous one.

Believe it or not, that Magnafuel pump is only listed at $490 through Magnafuel and around $460 through summit and jegs. Not bad for a killer pump.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Weldon fuel pumps have been around for eons, and are rebuildable. I would research them as well. They can feed near any demand.