Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Tech

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Tech

All this talk about claimed HP gains and such lately has got me thinking about the value of this board.
I don't consider myself old, but growing up working on cars we didn't have really any resources like this board to build them up. If you wanted to make your car go faster you were at the mercy of a speed shop owner who may or may not have had a clue about the parts he was selling. And the manufacturers always over rated Hp gains. Most of the time a loss was more like it. Chances are even if someone else in town had a similar car you wouldn't discuss mods with him either since you'd be racing him on Fri night.

Places like LS1tech are so usefull to be able to talk to other people who have tested product, combined with the popluarity of chassis dynos, makes an incredible ammount of information available to anyone.

No real point here, just a thought I'd share.
Vinny
Old 02-22-2006, 12:12 PM
FormerVendor

I completely agree with you Vinny. Another good thing about places like LS1tech is that it's a harder to bs people because so many people discuss just about every aspect of the cars. Ya know back before boards like this one, guys would throw out all kinds of bs like, "my car made x hp" or "I ran x E.T", and who knows if they did or not. But now, so many people talk about engine combinations, chassis/suspension setups, etc. that generally those guys that try to b.s. are called on it. Now everyone wants to see timeslips and dyno graphs posted, and videos are almost a prerequisite to making a claim, lol.

Plus, it's nice to have the helps of experts, pros, or whatever you want to call them. There's guys that can be called these names on here in every category of these cars. And it really helps when you're having a problem with something, or even when you just want to discuss something and get input for the experts.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

I think it's a double edged sword though because anyone can get their "internet degree" in mechanics. People give definitive advice to people as though they are an expert yet underneath all the BS they don't know anything.

Case in point I was at the local speed shop picking up some nitrous jets when a 20-something man walks in. We get to talking about our cars (both LS1s) and then he starts lecturing me on how "the LS1 is vastly superior to the SBC because the aluminum block makes the LS1 run more rich". I asked him WTF he was talking about, and asked him if he knew that a car can be very easily tuned to be more rich or lean, and that you can make an SBC with an aluminum block. When pressed about it, admitted he doesn't even know what a SBC is (he knew it was an engine but not what it stands for nor anything about it). He also didn't even know what the hell the term "rich" means. He thought it was slang for "more powerful".

He said he read it online (apparently he frequents this board daily). This is just one example, but there's hundreds of people like him.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1tech is a good place that has been better. If everyone around here told the truth what kind of place would it be? Scarey thought? I'm glad my car is a playground for me. If it were my job, i'd probably hate it. I'm glad I realize that too.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

The internet definitely breeds a lot of "instant experts." Fortunately, the bullshit detection level at LS1Tech runs pretty high - we can collectively spot 'em a mile away
Old 02-22-2006, 02:19 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brains
The internet definitely breeds a lot of "instant experts." Fortunately, the bullshit detection level at LS1Tech runs pretty high - we can collectively spot 'em a mile away
I wouldn't know anything about that!? LOL

Brian I think there are alot of instant experts in Houston. Some even work on other peoples cars and its scary!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brains
Old 02-22-2006, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

Get your own now!
BULL **** DETECTOR

The BullShit detector comes in two parts: A sleek silver box about the size of a packet of cigarettes fitted with flashing LEDs, and an extremely powerful, crystal-clear loudspeaker. Accompanying this is a remote control that will work through walls or up to 30 metres in the open.

Pressing a button on the remote control sets off one of a series of loud BS warning messages on the detector. Fortunately, it is fitted with a volume control.

We've tested the BS detector in a series of different scenarios. Each time it's come out tops and taken the wind out of 99% of all known bullshitters.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:18 PM
FormerVendor

I have my own, I've just been waiting for the perfect time to bust it out

Like Brian pointed out. LS1tech has a lot of guys that actually do know their stuff and their B.S meters are pretty good as well. Thankfully most of the real experts have no problem calling people on their b.s.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
Like Brian pointed out. LS1tech has a lot of guys that actually do know their stuff and their B.S meters are pretty good as well.
I resemble 1/2 that remark...?
So I wonder if there is a progressive BS meter or if they are more powerful when used in multiple stages? How big a shot do you need to get really deep in BS. I could go on but...id a BS warmer really worth the money or is ambient temp BS okay? Vinny sorry about your thread...
Old 02-22-2006, 06:57 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

One good thing about the internet is that there is TONS of info and resources available instantly for people to read and learn things. Back when I was 16 and working on cars, we only had the Summit catalog, various magazines, and Chilton's repair books. Performance "experts" wouldn't share their secrets. We learned by tinkering and racing on the backroads, comparing before and after.

I've met quite a few guys that are 16-18 yrs old on this site that know 1000x the amount of technical info than I did when I was 16. Thats a damn good head start for the younger generation....thanks to the internet.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

You've got Al Gore to thank for the Internet.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:54 PM
FormerVendor

Tony, your exactly right. That's the beauty of technology. I'm only 23 and I've kinda grown up in between the technology of today and the times when you just had to try things for yourself and/or pickup as much as you could from older guys that knew their stuff. But like you said, back then alot of old timers and younger guys alike didn't share much information to the guys growing up. Luckily, I've had the pleasure of learning alot from guys that didn't mind shearing information in just about all aspects of performance and customizing vehicles. I'm still learning though, I guess you could say that I crave knowledge. That's why I bug the hell out of Ricky and the other guys at work with questions, lol. Luckily they don't mind too much (at least I hope they don't, lol).

And if I ever get around to building another car I'm sure I'll be bugging many of the guys on hear with questions
Old 02-23-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, I agree. Back in the seventys getting into nitrous was fun. No jet charts, no dynos, no real info, no wot sw, no ws, no fpss, just a gut feeling and old fashion tuning. Try doing a dry shot on a carb set-up, and it can be done. This style of learning led to many blown motors, and I believe that this has carried on into present on many thinking that you'll blow your motor on nitrous. Now, if a guy wants to get a correct set-up going, he can gleen all the info needed, right here at the priemer nitrous site. So many knowledgable guys, it would hard to be misled.
Robert
Old 02-23-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
One good thing about the internet is that there is TONS of info and resources available instantly for people to read and learn things. Back when I was 16 and working on cars, we only had the Summit catalog, various magazines, and Chilton's repair books. Performance "experts" wouldn't share their secrets. We learned by tinkering and racing on the backroads, comparing before and after.

I've met quite a few guys that are 16-18 yrs old on this site that know 1000x the amount of technical info than I did when I was 16. Thats a damn good head start for the younger generation....thanks to the internet.

So VERY true. I had to join a local race team to learn the first part and then broken parts and every book I could read got me where i am today. I learned just about every thing about tuning EFI off CZ28 and e-mail lists. Then lately alot of other boards.

Then again Where would I be today with our Super Shops ,PAW and Winston west
Old 02-23-2006, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I miss super shops
Old 02-23-2006, 09:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The internet has changed many things on the positive and the negative side.

The positive side is like stated above.People have axcess to knowledgeable people that they would never had before.You get to meet many other people like yourself with the same interest. Then you get to go to a LS1tech event and put a face with the name.... Also consumers have axcess to companys they would have known nothing about with out the internet. For the companys, Places like LS1 tech offer a larger customer base in a certain market that the store would have never had axcess to with out.

The negative side is that lots of internet know it alls can easily put off an impression that they know more than they actually do. When in fact they only know what they read on the internet. These guys can easily mislead less knowledgable people...

Another bad thing is that its easier for the single average guy to come up with a assumed buisness name and sit in his boxers everyday with his labtop and cell phone and call himself a buisness.( I see it every day) These guys normally disapear after a while but in the process they screw up the market making it hard for real buisnesses to survive. Then when these fake buisness guys decide its time to move on they normally screw over there customers in the process and do not care. The reason why is they had nothing to loose in the first place.. All they have to do is put there pants on and go on to there next scam.

So my conclusion is this. The internet is great and has much more positives than negatives.

Dave
Old 02-23-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Tony that's a great point when we were all younger it was nearly impossible to get our hands on this kind of info. It was all shade tree, word of mouth, what your neighbor or dad or friend could show you or what they heard. Now there's hard concreet facts and real data refrence available.. Things have truly changed, and I think it's great

Also re dave's comments that's very true, even more so you get alot of "part timers" who have full time jobs who happen to like something or know a friend who can get them good pricing on stuff and bam they are in business from their cubicule at their real job. Customer service, tech support, and real life experience all lacks.. It's very hard to tell whom you're dealing with on the net, what kind of education they have, financial backing, how long they will be around etc.. But all in all the net's made for a more competitive market in any market really, and the consumers wind up winning I believe.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yup, back in '78 I had a 1971 roadrunner that I would not of put nitrous on if someone gave me a kit for free. Scared me to death, that stuff.
By the way, for anyone who think's the "old" muscle was better.
My '71, with all I had done to it, on a good day in cold weather, only managed a 14 flat 1/4 mile time.
Any off the floor LS-1 could eat it alive, but at the time I thought it was the ****!
Old 02-23-2006, 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

dannyz- You brought another very good point about today's technology. I can remember back in the early to mid 90's when a daily driven street car that ran 10's was the ****. Now days there are lots of street cars running 9's. Don't get me wrong, 10's for a daily driver are nothing to shrug about, but it's amazing what guys are doing with car's now and driving them on the street with out issues. Gotta love technology, lol.