Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much Nitris can a stock LS1 handle

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been runin mine for the last 2 years on a 5177 dry kit with no jets and no pump or fuel upgrade. But now I have a stand alone and direct port and sleep alot better at night.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

i plan on doing full bolt ons then a 100 shot, and i dont see me swaping out injectors
Old 03-29-2006, 12:26 PM
9 Second Club

Yep, 640rwhp and 650rwtq. MS3 cam, full bolt ons and a TNT 200 shot. Jason at TSP tuned it. All I have fuel wise is a walbro 255. I can't count the number of bottles I've put through it lol.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

I say 100 and be safe
Old 04-27-2006, 03:24 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Some the post in LS1 tech are so stupid I can't even believe it. Where are you guys getting you info. I would say that 70% of the people writing here shouldn't be allowed to use a weed eater. If you are serious about racing and being informed, don't use any advice from ls1 tech, do your own researce don't rely on info from nameless sources, try to cut corners!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
I have been running a NX wet kit with a 150 shot for a while now. Stock 00' injectors, stock fuel pump, pump gas. I put it on the dyno the first time I sprayed, A/F was fine. It's on the stock PCM tune as well.
Remember, unlike the f-bodys, the stock vette Walbro pump is good to 550hp and more. Injectors don't play a role on a wet hit, which brings up the fact that I made 480+rwhp on stock 28lb injectors running a dry hit, but don't rec doing this.

92RS98TA, check out our PRO Dry kit. A complete ready to go high quality kit. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Robert
Old 04-27-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPFD
Some the post in LS1 tech are so stupid I can't even believe it. Where are you guys getting you info. I would say that 70% of the people writing here shouldn't be allowed to use a weed eater. If you are serious about racing and being informed, don't use any advice from ls1 tech, do your own researce don't rely on info from nameless sources, try to cut corners!!!!!!
You have to know the posters. Once you are around here enough, you'll see that any BS posts are called by the more established users. Kinda like this one.
Robert
Old 04-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by MPFD
MPFD, please refrain from posting this vague. If you see where ppl are giving bad advice, please quote it, or simply reply and raise the while explain the right info. You may be the only to catch misleading information, and it could cost someone down the road.

Thanks.

Charlie
Old 04-27-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robert56
Remember, unlike the f-bodys, the stock vette Walbro pump is good to 550hp and more. Injectors don't play a role on a wet hit, which brings up the fact that I made 480+rwhp on stock 28lb injectors running a dry hit, but don't rec doing this.

Robert

Wow Robert I didn't know about that. Well I am gonna spray my 100 shot with my cam and longtubes then. I been holding off for a while, thanks for the info.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Robert56

92RS98TA, check out our PRO Dry kit. A complete ready to go high quality kit. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Robert

when you were at 480 on 28lb injectors what was your duty cycle?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Play it safe 100-125 MAX, but like Robert said you can upgrade and do more.. but personally at that point I'd just go wet anyways.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:15 PM
11 Second Truck Club

The president of NX told us at a seminar at Mcpherson College, That a stock fuel system could easily handle 150-200hp. On his LS1, he has gone alot higher then that on a stock fuel system, stock bottom end, but that is pushing it, big time. But he also has the money to replace an LS1, thats a major factor in jetting decision. I have personally gone up to 200 wet, and ran several scans with my ls1 scanner, never went lean, but I wouldn't do it on less then 110 octane.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Restricted User

Personally I cant see the F Bodys stock fuel system "easily handling 200 shots." Maybe on a totally stock unmodified engine setup, but any mods at all and I think you'd be pushing it. Especially after logging the pressure drop and potential for fuel starvation the driver side rail gets during initial activation on wet kits. And no way a stock fuel system will easily handle a 200 dry. The injectors would give up before running that. Not sure why the President of NX would put that info out at a seminar, unless of course he's totally confident in his research. But looking at the liability side of the house makes me wonder why the NX kits only come with jets up to 150 for LS1's unless your specifically order higher shots? Sounds like a little conflict in what NX believes to me, or possibly a need to raise the BS flag on this info?

Charlie
Old 05-03-2006, 04:02 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I said 200 wet, not dry.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:06 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I personally am not sold on dry systems, I know everyone is doing it and it seems to work, But chilling the maf that quickly can't be good for the part itself, and besides that how do you know that full rich isn't too much fuel. I'm a big believer in that to fat can be just as dangerous as too lean. Its obvoiusly all in the tune.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Restricted User

I use dry and its alright, guess its more of personal preference and tuning ability. Wet doesnt require as much tuning finese at lower levels as dry, since Injectors come into play, and so many ppl want the IAT to pull spark and add fuel. Anyway, my comment above in reference to dry was for arguements sake. I used to shoot 150wet taped off the rail and there was always a pressure drop with stock pump it was significantly longer then aftermarket pump. Of course, the pressure drop (leaning out the driver side) was more pronounced when stepping the shot size up, and some plugs were lost in the efforts to get it right.
Now, to clarify my standpoint...Can 200 be done on the stock LS1? Yes. Should it? Only if you know what the **** your doing, use the appropriate safety equipment, do some logging, dyno testing wouldnt be bad idea although the difference in load can fool you, and finally tune tune tune tune. Do I think you could pop a 200shot on a stock LS1 w/ tuning? Not successfully and definately not reliably. Just too risky, the payoff wouldnt be worth the carnage. But, I see where your coming from, it can be done. I just prefere to see ppl post up what things to make it "safe" and avoid the blanket "dude your car can handle it no problem man, do it already" comments, then a weekend later the poor guy posts up saying "hey some friends told me my car could handle a 200 shot and guess what.....(includes pictures of the internals of his used to be stock running engine, now laid all over the garage floor)." Too many things like that going on.

Charlie
Old 05-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Teching In

You also have to consider what the stock rear end and transmission is going to do with a higher shot. I ran nitrous for 2 years going between a 100 and 150 shot, the engine is still fine to this day but ive had to replace my rear end once and gone through 2 transmissions. Anyone wanting to go a higher shot needs to consider the extra costs involved.

Quick Reply: How much Nitris can a stock LS1 handle