Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nozzle shootout results

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006 | 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
True statement. Your test, on your day, under your conditions and your parameters. What the test really shows, as had been said numerous times, they are all really close and any test is subjective concerning the changing parameters through out the test.
maybe someone else would like to try this and see what happens. the only nozzle i don't have is the TNT. i was talking with ricky yesterday. i don't see much change happening if it were to be done again. the top three will remain the same. one of the bottom three might come into the middle three.

Lets do a back to back test of the best NX nozzle against the Predator, at a higher HP, say 200hp or above.
Robert
why would it matter if it's a higher hp level??? the best nx nozzle is their SHO, which is good for 400 hp levels. it bested the predator at a 150 level. if it can't win at 150, then how would it win at 250??

with baseline jetting of .062/.033

then, with the matching a/f ratio, it was even worse at 13 rwhp difference and both nozzles again, SHO picked up power, where the predator lost more.

Last edited by mrr23; 07-01-2006 at 10:10 AM. Reason: posted wrong graph predator vs SHO
Old 06-29-2006 | 06:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrr23
what i don't know is how large the hole is inside the nozzle itself. as far as the jet adapter goes, according to ricky, the NX Vortech is a .063" opening. if i remember correctly, the NOS Silver has a .045" opening. dynotune (CFN) i have no clue. but, by looking at the pic, it has a larger opening.
I just wanted to adress this. The NOS jett fittings in the 13716 nozzle (silver/soft plume) are closer to .090". The smallest they have ever been is around .060". The actual passage through the soft plume nozzle is also .060"
The only NOS nozzles that is bigger than that are the old "A" nozzles.
Old 06-29-2006 | 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by srsnow
I just wanted to adress this. The NOS jett fittings in the 13716 nozzle (silver/soft plume) are closer to .090". The smallest they have ever been is around .060". The actual passage through the soft plume nozzle is also .060"
The only NOS nozzles that is bigger than that are the old "A" nozzles.
so, you are saying the tiny hole inside the brass fitting that holds the jet is .090"? yet, it's the smallest of the three in the pic? i got the .045" number from the NOS guy that sent them to me.

NOS Silver
NX Vortech
Dynotune

Old 06-29-2006 | 07:05 PM
Launching!

I'm just stating what they should be, and what they have been since they were initially designed. I just measured a 13716 nozzle and that the sizes I got. Now if someone at Holley changed the jet fittings in the nozzle to accept NX jets then who knows what it is. And if it truly is .045" then the test on that nozzle can't be counted as accurate since the nozzle was assembled improperly. I also doubt that it was that small based on the fact that the nozzle did perform close to what the others did. If the opening had been .045" like you stated then the horsepower should have been lower than it was. It should have acted like it had a .045" jet in it since that would be the smallest restriction. And if it did make that much power with a .045" jet fitting then it would stand to reason that since it was close to the same horsepower as the other nozzles that it is in fact a much superior nozzle because it was able to produce so much horsepower with such a small amount of nitrous. Like I said if Holley modified it for a test then it may not be .090" like a normal one but at .045" it would have caused too much of a restriction to perform like it did. If anything it may be closer to .060".
Old 06-29-2006 | 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

the only thing done to the brass fitting was drill the fitting to accept the NX jets. this was done at NOS then sent to me. the person that gave me this info works for NOS and is registered here as red91z. the hole that i'm refering to wasn't drilled. just the length of the fitting enough to fit the diameter of the jet neck. just by looking at the three nozzles, they are just about identical except for that hole. which can make all the difference in the world. especially since the hole would be smaller than the jet size itself.
Old 06-29-2006 | 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

and for reference, i drilled the dynotune to accept NX jets.
Old 06-29-2006 | 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

ok, i'm tearing the NOS Silver, NX Vortech, and the Dynotune (CFN) nozzle apart. i'll have pictures up soon.
Old 06-29-2006 | 07:45 PM
Launching!

Did you measure it or just go by what he said? I used to work for NOS too, and now I work for Mike Thermos the guy that started NOS. In fact when I was measuring the fittings I asked one of the guys I work with who started with NOS around 1994 if he knew of any time that the jet fittings were as small as .045" and they weren't. I'm not here to argue who is more qualified to say what size it is my point is that I have experience with the product. If you haven't measured the actual jet fitting you should. I'm in no way saying it is impossible that it is that small. But in the 5 years that I have been dealing with NOS stuff and other nitrous parts on a daily basis I have never seen a jet fitting that small. And like I said before if it was that small the impact it would have had on the horsepower produced would have been more serious I think.
Old 06-29-2006 | 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

i don't have the tools to measure something this small. i work on kenworth trucks, not micromachines. so, my tools are really big. so, i have to rely on what the manufacturers tell me just like most others. so, let's assume that the hole really is .090". then that means the other two nozzles are really huge in comparison. i'm still trying to get a nice clear picture of the inside of the nozzle itself. really crappy under $100.00 camera without a macro button for close ups is killing me here.
Old 06-29-2006 | 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

here's the best i have so far. even inside the nozzle itself, the NOS is way smaller than the dynotune (CFN). this is the view of the nitrous side of the nozzle. even if i switched the brass fittings around, the nozzle itself has really small passage ways in it. and that would br why it doesn't keep up with the NX Vortech and the Dynotune (CFN).

NOS Silver
NX Vortech
Dynotune (CFN)

Old 06-29-2006 | 10:04 PM
Launching!

That picture is of the actual drilled passage in the nozzle and it is right at around .060" the previous picture were of the jet fitting which was bigger than the internal passage probably close to .090" like I said. You could compare the jets used to the orifice to see if they are close. Or use an appropite drill bit.
Old 06-29-2006 | 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

i have limited drill bits. a few jets. even still the internal passage of the NOS at .060" is the limiting factor, no matter how big the jet is. i can put a .090" jet in and still only get .060" nitrous through it. i'll take them to work with me tomorrow and try the drill bits i have. they are in fraction, so, i'll have to do some math.

and you can tell in the pics, the dynotune (CFN) is internally larger than the NX Vortech and the NOS Silver. big reason why the dynotune outperformed both of them.
Old 06-29-2006 | 10:58 PM
Launching!

I was never disputing that the 13716 nozzle was restricted at 150hp in fact I agree that it is. NOS should do a revision on the drawing and have it increased to around .075-.080 or so since it is being used in the 05131 kit which is for V8's. I was mainly trying to clear up the fact that it was bigger than .045". I didn't want people to think that it was limited at lower horse power numbers then it really was.
Old 06-30-2006 | 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

i left my notes at work. but, i did measure them.
Old 07-01-2006 | 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

here are the three nozzles that have been talked about lately. all three look the same at first glance. all three performed differently. i used drill bits. the ends that go into the chuck.

1/16 = .062
5/64 = .078
3/32 = .093
7/64 = .109
1/8 = .125

nozzle ------------ n2o fitting/nozzle ----------- fuel fitting/nozzle
__________________________________________________ ____________

NOS Silver -------- .078 loose/ .062 good ------- .078 loose/ .062 loose
------------------ .093 no fit ------------------ .093 no fit/ .078 no fit

NX Vortech ------ .093 loose/ .062 loose ------- .093 loose/ .062 loose
----------------- .109 no fit/ .078 no fit ------- .109 no fit/ .078 no fit

Dynotune (CFN) -- .125 good/ .093 good ------- .125 good/ .078 good
Old 01-27-2007 | 10:56 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

From: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

Originally Posted by red91z
We've never developed a fogger nozzle from the ground up for use as a single nozzle. Both the "soft plume" and "B" nozzle were originally designed for a direct port application where jet sizes rarely exceed .040. That is why the orifice in both nozzles is small. The "B" nozzle is also designed to concentrate the spray. Racers like to point these nozzles so the spray directly hit the valve. They actually don't spray at a 90degree which could have effected its results.

Thanks for the test. I bet you had a headache from the nitrous fumes.
this is an excellent thread, and well since i am an NOS n20 junkie of sorts. I have always run the NOS DP Pro Shot Fogger i have yet to really make a pass at the level i want to with out the drivetrain not taking a **** lol!!!

I am very happy with the NOS stuff, i most recently helped a friend install a NX nozzle kit o his 02 SS, pretty nice kit! not done with the wrenching on it as of yet, but getting there. the fuel rail crossover and accumulator line i thought could have been fitted with all AN fittings, but i fixed that with some lightweight -6 line. and the rails in real life are quite slick! getting the inj. into the rails was tricky. it looks much better on the motor in person than in pics. imo.

long live the bottle
Old 09-24-2007 | 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrr23
why would it matter if it's a higher hp level??? the best nx nozzle is their SHO, which is good for 400 hp levels. it bested the predator at a 150 level. if it can't win at 150, then how would it win at 250??
Subscribing to see Robert56 answer this question?
Old 09-24-2007 | 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid
Subscribing to see Robert56 answer this question?
Lol, who cares, I will not be doing any sort of wet hits anytime soon. I see absolutely no benifit of going wet on the LSx/EFI platform. If you can give one good reason to go wet any style, I'll be glad to answer your question. Dry rules.
Robert
Old 09-25-2007 | 08:46 AM
Banned

Lol, who cares, I will not be doing any sort of wet hits anytime soon. I see absolutely no benifit of going wet on the LSx/EFI platform. If you can give one good reason to go wet any style, I'll be glad to answer your question. Dry rules.
Robert
Your the one who asked for the wet vs. dry callout. If I gave you a good reason to go wet any style it wouldn't be a question it would be considered a statement that somehow you would turn into yet another explanation of your personal preference. Here is your chance to prove it. Of all people you should be the one manning up to back his dry mouth.

Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 09-25-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2007 | 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid
Your the one who asked for the wet vs. dry callout. If I gave you a good reason to go wet any style it wouldn't be a question it would be considered a statement that somehow you would turn into yet another explanation of your personal preference. Here is your chance to prove it. Of all people you should be the one manning up to back his dry mouth.
Well it's quite clear you didn't read the whole thread. It was proven, and I admitted, that all the nozzles are within a couple HP of each other. So, pick your poison/brand, and start paying better attenion.

If I gave you a good reason to go wet any style it wouldn't be a question it would be considered a statement that somehow you would turn into yet another explanation of your personal preference.
That's what I thought, no ammo. Call me out on a world wide forum, then nothing to back it up, how lame.

Robert

Quick Reply: nozzle shootout results