Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iridium plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Iridium plugs?

I have TR55 Iridium plugs in the car right now, I will be spraying a 100 dry shot on the dyno this Sat - will the plugs I have be fine, or do I really need to try and put TR6s in? TIA
Old 04-14-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would go with the TR6 Iridium equivlents. They idle better then the TR6 and last longer, just cooler then you TR55. I would NOT run the TR55 unless others have done this with success. Iridium won't be the problem , just the heat range.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are asking about Iridium plugs with nitrous my experiencewith them has been bad using nitrous. I used the NGK TR6IX and decided after misfiring and a cracked insulator to go back to plain old NGK TR6 plugs. I have had very good luck this way.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Ultimately I will put in regular TR6, but I didn't want to have to swap them out tonight (like after 8pm) with the dyno in the morning.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Macon
If you are asking about Iridium plugs with nitrous my experiencewith them has been bad using nitrous. I used the NGK TR6IX and decided after misfiring and a cracked insulator to go back to plain old NGK TR6 plugs. I have had very good luck this way.
That's odd. I have been using Denso for over 6 months and my friend (02 Pewter LS1) has been using the NGK iridium for even longer without trouble. I wonder what made yours have issues? Looking at the two plugs they seem very similar with the iridium having the much better tip as far as life is concerned. Even my idle was better with the iridium over the TR6 regular. Anyone have any ideas on the reason for the failure?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Airwolf
That's odd. I have been using Denso for over 6 months and my friend (02 Pewter LS1) has been using the NGK iridium for even longer without trouble. I wonder what made yours have issues? Looking at the two plugs they seem very similar with the iridium having the much better tip as far as life is concerned. Even my idle was better with the iridium over the TR6 regular. Anyone have any ideas on the reason for the failure?
I just called my friend ScreamngDave over at the Mustang site. We think we had issues based on the size of the 0.07mm tip. We believe we were getting spark blow out. Don't get me wrong. Now I use AFR heads on my 408 and he uses a huge supercharger on his 04 Cobra. We both swapped to TR6 and TR7 plugs. He uses the TR7. I'd guess there are a lot of folks using them. We have plug changes down to about 1.5 hours so...no big deal to swap them.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Airwolf
i've had the irridiums for almost 2 yrs.. i turned Lou (02pewterLS1) onto them i have had NO issues and we have both been running them ever since.. i'm on the TR7ix's.. oh and with the tubular k member and no a/c.. plug changes are a 20min job

Mike
Old 04-15-2006, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

One of the problems with forums like these is that the answers you get are going to be inconclusive. You should try iridium plugs, knuder valves whatever...if they work for you great. If not go back to what works for you or try something different.
Good luck.
---Macon
Old 04-16-2006, 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

Well, I sprayed it today with the iridium. For future reference for someone else, I didn't have any problems.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Sad
Well, I sprayed it today with the iridium. For future reference for someone else, I didn't have any problems.
Yeah you keep that up and you will find yourself with a blown motor in time. And then you would probably blame it on the nitrous instead of the driver mod not changing the plugs. Irridium doesnt do **** for you if the heat range is still the same. You better get some TR6's soon if you are gonna spray more. There is a thread in internal engine forum with a blown apart motor that blew on one of the first sprays because he didnt go to a colder plug. It blew on some stock type plug. Why risk it at all for some $20 plugs?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Brad8266 is correct.
I agree with the heat range being more important then the type of plug.
Why take the risk of using the wrong heat range and doing damage to the engine when under $20 for TR6's is very cheap insurance. Don't be fooled by doing something once that it will always work. I did plenty of research before moving to Iridium, but going to a cooler heat range was always the most important point.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I plan on swapping the TR6s in before I spray anymore. Just didn't really have time before this dyno.