Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I few questions before I order the bottle

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I few questions before I order the bottle

I've read the FAQ's over and over but i havent been able to find answers to some questions...

1. From what i've read it seems that a dry shot is safer for anything less than 100. Is this true or is it no problem to run a low wet shot of say 50?

2. I have heard a lot of talk about swelling plungers. Could someone please explain what does having swelling plungers do to the car and how can it be prevented?

3. If you are spraying and the bottle runs out of nitrous what will happen? How will you be able to tell when the bottle is getting low?

4. If I had a wet or dry shot setup to my car and i only chose to use it once a year would this affect my engine at all?

5. What happens when Nitrous backfire occurs?

Those are the ones that have been bugging me for a while, if I think of any others I will add them.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
I've read the FAQ's over and over but i havent been able to find answers to some questions...

1. From what i've read it seems that a dry shot is safer for anything less than 100. Is this true or is it no problem to run a low wet shot of say 50?

I tested a Daves Wet Plate @ 50 shot no problem, I do think dry is a bit easier to do and safer, but you need to ensure that your system is hooked up correctly, and you use a window switch, as well be sure the nozzle placement and style is whats best for your application

2. I have heard a lot of talk about swelling plungers. Could someone please explain what does having swelling plungers do to the car and how can it be prevented?

The plunger swells from the new fuel additives on the fuel noid of a wet system (the system fires, but the fuel noid is stuck closed and does not function and the car goes wayyy lean becuase the fuel noid is stuck, Dry system does not use a fuel solenoid so this is not a factor with a dry system.

3. If you are spraying and the bottle runs out of nitrous what will happen? How will you be able to tell when the bottle is getting low?

With a dry sytem, not much will happen as the MAF will not read as much as temperature change/airflow and will not command the fuel to go to the injectors so the hit would be only as strong as your bottle (this is why you need a heater to get the bottle pressure up), with a wet system you will dump the raw fuel into the manifold and it will run really rich and possibly bog (maybe even backfire).

4. If I had a wet or dry shot setup to my car and i only chose to use it once a year would this affect my engine at all?

Not as long as you had the colder plugs, and your system was installed properly, you have a Window switch, and you ensured the AFR is safe with the jetting/bottle pressure you intend to use

5. What happens when Nitrous backfire occurs?

Potential to blow your intake and hood off the car, blow out your air intake. Do a search a few have posted what happened when they expierenced it. I have a coworker who had this happen on his Mustake (I mean Mustang ), he was street racing, activated it from the line and blew his intake off the engine. Kinda embarassing if ya know what mean...

Those are the ones that have been bugging me for a while, if I think of any others I will add them.

Here ya go...my take with limited expierence.

Get a pressure gauge for your bottle, as well as a heater to get the most of your bottle, also a window switch. A basic kit is fine to get started but if you stick with Nitrous and want to get the most out of a small kit you need more than a basic kit. Dean and Dan @ DynoTune, Dave @ Nitrous Outlet, Matt@ Harris Speedworks, and Robert56 @ Nitrous Direct can help you out, PM them or call em, calling them does not obligate ya to buy. I used three of the four for my system and they were very knowledgable and helpful.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

hahaha thats not the only mustang thats had that happen, its because their mani's arent made for anything other than NA out of the factory, kid did it up here at the local track too
Old 07-13-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks, this has really helped. I only have one last question. Is there any way to prevent/detect a swelling plunger?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
Thanks, this has really helped. I only have one last question. Is there any way to prevent/detect a swelling plunger?
at the moment, the only way i know to tell if its swelling is to take it apart and look. they're working on solutions to prevent it, but i dont know of anyone selling a modified noid for the newer fuel at this time..
Old 07-13-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

You should never have to contend with a swollen plunger in use because you SHOULD be checking your solenoids regularly.I checked mine WEEKLY for proper operation. Don't like the idea of added maintenance? You shouldn't be using a power adder then.

Contact a GOOD supplier like Nitro Daves. They will give you all of the information you need and help you select the kit that is best for you.