Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who do you recomend?!
ZEX
26.16%
NOS
24.47%
TX
49.37%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

NOS, ZEX or NX ??????!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I didn't know nitrous was explosive.
I assume it was a dry kit?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mach2004
This is my experience with ZEX. At this time I had a 03 Mach 1 Mustang(no comments please) with 3500 miles. Went to a Test and Tune at the Memphis Motorsports Park. I made 2 motor passes to get a baseline. There was a huge crowd that night, so I went straight to the staging lanes. Got out, turned the bottle on to check pressure and turned it off. 10 minutes of so passed and went to start the car and it blew the intake off. The ZEX box bled the nitrous from the line into the intake and when the engine started, it ignited the nitrous in the intake. It broke the intake,hurt 1 piston and a few other things. It cost me about $2900 to get it fixed. Zex checked the box and somewhat admitted the box caused the problem but refused to help me on my repair, only to replace the box. When I got the box back I threw it in the garbage and now have the Zex bottle for a spare for my NX kit. Thats just my experience.
Nitrous is non flammable, there's a little more to this story.
Robert
Old 02-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If nitrous was leaking past the solenoid and into the intake this can happen. It causes a very bad lean backfire. But it is not the nitrous itself igniting
Old 02-15-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by srsnow
If nitrous was leaking past the solenoid and into the intake this can happen. It causes a very bad lean backfire. But it is not the nitrous itself igniting
...and the rest of the story.
Robert
Old 02-24-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mach2004
This is my experience with ZEX. At this time I had a 03 Mach 1 Mustang(no comments please) with 3500 miles. Went to a Test and Tune at the Memphis Motorsports Park. I made 2 motor passes to get a baseline. There was a huge crowd that night, so I went straight to the staging lanes. Got out, turned the bottle on to check pressure and turned it off. 10 minutes of so passed and went to start the car and it blew the intake off. The ZEX box bled the nitrous from the line into the intake and when the engine started, it ignited the nitrous in the intake. It broke the intake,hurt 1 piston and a few other things. It cost me about $2900 to get it fixed. Zex checked the box and somewhat admitted the box caused the problem but refused to help me on my repair, only to replace the box. When I got the box back I threw it in the garbage and now have the Zex bottle for a spare for my NX kit. Thats just my experience.
Wow!!!....that sux ***** that you got no compensation for it at all. Unfourtunatly.... I'm pretty sure tho that theres a disclosure somewhere in the box after you buy the kit releasing them from resposibility in the event that something like that happens.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I vote NX, i have Nx and its a great kit. I had a Zex kit on my import and it was VERY easy to install but the solinoids are very small inside their monagment box.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Launching!

alot of guys in my area use Zex and I have never heard anything bad. Thats why I went with Zex
Old 02-28-2007, 04:34 AM
TECH Addict

I'm gonna be put'n in very lil track time this summer so I might hold off on the N2O till after summer! :-( But if I used N2O i'd give ZEX a shot!
Old 03-11-2007, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

ive always had good luck with nos,but ive never heard any complaints on nx.zex is too ricey for my taste
Old 03-13-2007, 04:45 AM
TECH Addict

The 3 biggest complaints I hear about ZEX is the solinoids be'n too small, The purple color scheme(the color doesn't bother me), and the crappy customer sevice.(THAT would bother me!)
Old 03-13-2007, 05:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
I'm a big fan of TNT, as well.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
The 3 biggest complaints I hear about ZEX is the solinoids be'n too small, The purple color scheme(the color doesn't bother me), and the crappy customer sevice.(THAT would bother me!)
The small size kit has the same solenoids that can be purchased with other small shot kits. I have heard that Peter Paul Electronics is the common supplier of solenoids with custom labels being the difference for several kits. I've looked around while at the Summit retail store here locally and compared the solenoids. At least two other kits have what looks like the same units. Zex also sells a large hit kit with the higher amperage and larger solenoids. The 75-125 hp kit is what most people think of with Zex but they also have a 100-250 hp Gen III High Output System that has the large, high amperage solenods which require a relay. The bad rap given to the zex kit is that people are not comparing apples to apples. The orchid color may be gaudy but the finish and quality of anodize is quite good. Their purge hardware kit is really nice IMHO. I own one and wish I'd bought two for my other nitrous setup. The $2 activation button is my only complaint. As for customer service, I needed the expen$ive NMU replaced under warranty. I had to go through a few hoops but was always able to talk to a tech or CS rep who could do something. They answered all but one of my questions via email and were always available over the phone. You hope you won't need warranty service at anytime with anyone but shat happens. I guess everyone already knows that ZEX is Comp Cams so you are going to lose some of that warm/fuzzy relationship but at least in my situation they have the cash flow to be able to make an expensive component replacement.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

TNT gets my vote.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I voted for NOS, but that because thats the only thing ive used. I have heard plenty of good things about NX also. As it has been stated many times, zex has not very popular with the LT/LSx'ers. I think it has alot to do with the purple bottles. Plus, I dont like the solenoids mounted in a box thing. Sometimes when your looking for a good place to mount the solenoids, right next to each other is not always the best option. When you put both of them in a big box you have even less options.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:06 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the chance to go visit CompCams this week and got to look at some more of the ZEX line-up as well while we were there! I have never been a fan of the purple color, but I found that they also offer the bottles in a polished/chrome setup as well (not a huge difference in price)!

I also agree, I always thought of ZEX as a ricer nitrous kit until recently...They jumped on the bangwagon when the F&F movies came out and could not keep up with kit sales for a couple years. That's business, you do it to make money! Now in the last 2-3 years, they have turned their attention, marketing, and R&D to the domestic crowd!!

For anyone who hasn't visited their website or seen their catalog, they have some nice stuff for the GEN3 and 4 folks!! Also, I might mention that the LS kits do not come standard with that little box...they have separate solenoids! Also, they make a very attractive direct port kit for use with the FAST intake that includes all of your lines (no tube bending needed!)!

Of course, we also sell NX's complete line!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Daves Nitrous Outlet its your best bet!!! Very affordable and ready to do biz!
Old 03-23-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by new_z
36 posts and you have it figured out
Old 03-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by new_z
Where are they located and how does someone get in contact with them? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Banned

I am very happy with my NOS plate system and mini controller and they also have great tech support.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

TX for the win, can't go wrong with a tnt system.

Quick Reply: NOS, ZEX or NX ??????!!!!!!