Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How soon after I turn on the bottle....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ball
Say I was driving around and all of a sudden I see someone in a modded Evo or something come flying up on me. He stops looks over, nods at me, I wink and lick my lips sensually, he stares at me confused ..... *cough* anywho, could I just hit the "remote bottle opener" and be ready for a run or does the nitrous need time to warm up in the lines before it can be used? Or could I open the bottle, activate the N2O and go (assuming the bottle is warm enough)? I remember reading somewhere else that it can take a while for the bottle to get warmed up for use, but nothing about how soon you can use the juice after opening the bottle.

Thanks folks.
2 parts to this answer sorry if it read long.
1st. With a real remote bottle opener; less than 2 seconds you are good to go. This is the type that uses a motor to open the bottle for you.
Those knock off valves you will need to stop get out, open the bottle, and then turn the switch on, AND THEN, I think someone video instruction states 10-15 seconds before using..
http://www.coldfusionnitrous.com/dvd/video.htm

2nd.
Here are a few reasons you should NEVER leave your bottle for long periods of time.
1. You could accidentally engage the system if it was armed.
2. The pressure will leak over time around the piston and through the Teflon hose. YES through it. Now the through thing is a slow very slow process. Permeability of the hose and its EFFUSION rate comes into play.
3. The long term pressure sitting on top of the piston over time will force the piston to dimple more, and lower itself into the orifice hole. Increasing the contact surface area, which increases the chance of leaking around the piston.

Now NOS style noids use a RUBBER material for their piston seal and in the past recommend the noid be taken apart and aired out; due to gasoline vapors would swell and soften the material. The Durometer was not hard enough. Think it was buna material not sure.

Now I know people have been doing it for years with out problems, but it only takes one time. And the fact that mentality is what usually gets people in to trouble. It will not happen to me, I never had a problem, remember it only takes one. One time and why take that chance, its simple just do not do it.
Another note solenoids were not designed for use it the nitrous world. Boy that’s a shocker isn’t. haha. Nitrous world took what was and made it work. Period… And that water pressure statement does not apply in this arena, its only at a low pressure.

Just like welding gas you close the bottle when your done same as nitrous.

Ricky
Old 07-19-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Robert56
if you choose to leave things open make sure you bubble spray all your fittings and connections or the next morning your bottle might be empty, ask how I know this.
Robert
How do you know?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

a true nitrous user always has the bottle warm and open for that slight chance that something could pop up...
Old 07-19-2006, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is really a wide spread fallacy. Here's why, and no bull, I have left my bottle open for upto 6-months with no problems. Then the same noids were set-up the way i described above. Now 3-years later the same noids are in my z06 and I have had no issues, i do check them every so often. Furthermore, these are the 5177 noids that some percieve to be less than stellar, another fallscy. Now, think about it, do you go out and shut your water pressure off every time you shut your faucett, no because they are designed to work at these pressures. this is the same as the n2o noids, they are built and engineered to work at these pressures. we use these type of noids at work all the time and they can/are used in continuse duty. With that said, will this cause premature failure, my opinion is no. you'll wear them out faster by using them, meaning: opening and closing under pressure. If you feel safer bleeding off your n2o at night then so be it. if you choose to leave things open make sure you bubble spray all your fittings and connections or the next morning your bottle might be empty, ask how I know this.
Robert
What about engine heat raising the pressure of the nitrous in the line, is'nt this dangerous? I heard the Nitrous in the line can boil if its subjected to high temps such as the amount of heat normal driving conditions create under the hood.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I got triple teamed (and two are directly on my team). So, I don't rec doing what I do, and in the past have stated so. If you want to take the chance like I did, well... One more thing, I no longer do this. I reach around and manually shut my bottle every night, but still do not purge n2o line empty. The allways ready thing, with a electric remote opener is a great way to do, and you should prob purge your line out like has been suggested. My father used to tell me, do what I say, not what I do, now I am getting the real meaning. What's good for the goose, is not allways good for the gander (what the hell is a gander?). Oh, I also still subscribe to the allways ready motto, never catch me with my pants down.
Robert
Old 07-19-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
What about engine heat raising the pressure of the nitrous in the line, is'nt this dangerous? I heard the Nitrous in the line can boil if its subjected to high temps such as the amount of heat normal driving conditions create under the hood.
Hmmm... I never have had a problem, or heard of a problem with this senerio, but also not saying it can't/dosen't happen, but that's why we purge before a run. My current set-up in the engine bay the line is heavily wrapped in insulation, and this really helps the in line n2o stay stable. You only have to micro purge. Maybe one of the other guys will explain the phase change thing.
Robert
Old 07-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

What's good for the goose, is not allways good for the gander (what the hell is a gander?). Oh, I also still subscribe to the allways ready motto, never catch me with my pants down.
Robert
goosefemale
gander male.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm... I never have had a problem, or heard of a problem with this senerio, but also not saying it can't/dosen't happen, but that's why we purge before a run. My current set-up in the engine bay the line is heavily wrapped in insulation, and this really helps the in line n2o stay stable. You only have to micro purge. Maybe one of the other guys will explain the phase change thing.
Robert
I understand, the person that told me that is very paranoid anyway. I just wanted to run it by you to see if it had a ring of truth. Thanks.