Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How soon after I turn on the bottle....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How soon after I turn on the bottle....

Say I was driving around and all of a sudden I see someone in a modded Evo or something come flying up on me. He stops looks over, nods at me, I wink and lick my lips sensually, he stares at me confused ..... *cough* anywho, could I just hit the "remote bottle opener" and be ready for a run or does the nitrous need time to warm up in the lines before it can be used? Or could I open the bottle, activate the N2O and go (assuming the bottle is warm enough)? I remember reading somewhere else that it can take a while for the bottle to get warmed up for use, but nothing about how soon you can use the juice after opening the bottle.

Thanks folks.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Its up to you really.I mean if the bottle was sitting in the sun and was already warm you could use it right away. Even if it was a little on the cool side you could use it but it wont hit as hard because of the low bottle pressure.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats why you should always be prepared for such a situation
Old 07-17-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
thats why you should always be prepared for such a situation
well you cant be driving around town with the bottle open puttin all that pressure on the nitrous solinoid!!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

When my bottle is in, the heater is on. For just such an incident...

There is no pressure on the noid till you open it with the remote bottle opener, which will take less than 5 seconds to open...and is right next to the arm switch...

Last edited by Beer99C5; 07-17-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summer day, open it and spray that junk away.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you have all your stuff running through keyed ign to activate relays, then just leave everything on. Then you just use your key as a master sw. I have done this on my coupe. Allways ready was my motto. No more, is this on, this open, is it hot. Nope, no second guessing or getting a lunch handed out cause your not ready. Just do the proper wiring and this route will be fine.

Beer, I will have to get pics of my Z06 panel you made. I was showing Jon (00vette) at night and it's a work of art, thanks.
Robert
Old 07-17-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

He stops looks over, nods at me, I wink and lick my lips sensually, he stares at me confused ..... *cough* anywho,
LOL, okay then...
Old 07-17-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reject
well you cant be driving around town with the bottle open puttin all that pressure on the nitrous solinoid!!
Damn i wish you would have told me this before.
I'm thinking if i keep my pressure below 1000 or 1050 my solenoids will still like me. I didn't say the solenoids will like the psi. Just keep 'purging the pressure.
Hawk
Old 07-17-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by reject
I think this is really a wide spread fallacy. Here's why, and no bull, I have left my bottle open for upto 6-months with no problems. Then the same noids were set-up the way i described above. Now 3-years later the same noids are in my z06 and I have had no issues, i do check them every so often. Furthermore, these are the 5177 noids that some percieve to be less than stellar, another fallscy. Now, think about it, do you go out and shut your water pressure off every time you shut your faucett, no because they are designed to work at these pressures. this is the same as the n2o noids, they are built and engineered to work at these pressures. we use these type of noids at work all the time and they can/are used in continuse duty. With that said, will this cause premature failure, my opinion is no. you'll wear them out faster by using them, meaning: opening and closing under pressure. If you feel safer bleeding off your n2o at night then so be it. if you choose to leave things open make sure you bubble spray all your fittings and connections or the next morning your bottle might be empty, ask how I know this.
Robert
Old 07-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9ball
Say I was driving around and all of a sudden I see someone in a modded Evo or something come flying up on me. He stops looks over, nods at me, I wink and lick my lips sensually, he stares at me confused ..... *cough* anywho, could I just hit the "remote bottle opener" and be ready for a run or does the nitrous need time to warm up in the lines before it can be used? Or could I open the bottle, activate the N2O and go (assuming the bottle is warm enough)? I remember reading somewhere else that it can take a while for the bottle to get warmed up for use, but nothing about how soon you can use the juice after opening the bottle.

Thanks folks.
You dont ever need to use nitrous.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah ive come home after a night of "COMPARITVE DRIVING" as I like to put it and have left my bottle on by mistake. Kinda sucks, what a waste of 50 bucks. I learned my lesson. Definetly bubble spray all of your fittings.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

well im confused if you can keep your bottle open and it doesnt do anything to the noids whats the point of having a remote opener
Old 07-18-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by broken98
well im confused if you can keep your bottle open and it doesnt do anything to the noids whats the point of having a remote opener
Still lots of reasons. Not everyone is convinced it's ok. also, many are afraid of n2o leaking into the block overnight and having an explosion upon restart in morning, another bs concept, imo. Long storage or not checking for or finding small leaks is the biggest reason. here is another option, shut your remote off, but don't bleed off the nitrous in line, kinda the best of both worlds if ya think about it, no wastage, and no extra n2o to leak into engine for those that think it will happen.
Robert
Old 07-18-2006, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Just something worth considering -

...some NX heaters (and possibly other brands) are pressure regulated and if the bottle valve/opener is closed and the heater is on it will continue to heat the bottle until it pops the burst disc (or until the bottle explodes if you don't have a burst disk/blowdown setup).

Generally speaking, make sure your bottle is open if you have your heater on, especially with newer NX bottle heaters.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 07-18-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Just something worth considering -

...some NX heaters (and possibly other brands) are pressure regulated and if the bottle valve/opener is closed and the heater is on it will continue to heat the bottle until it pops the burst disc (or until the bottle explodes if you don't have a burst disk/blowdown setup).

Generally speaking, make sure your bottle is open if you have your heater on, especially with newer NX bottle heaters.

Rob (Bad30th)

Depends where you put your Pressure switch.

Mine is set up where it reads the actual Bottle pressure with the valve closed.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

The new NX bottles do not have this problem, only the older style.
Robert
Old 07-18-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Robert56
The new NX bottles do not have this problem, only the older style.
Robert

Yep here is my spare/strip bottle two ports are better than one.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Robert,
I disagree with you. Yes different valves are made to work different ways. Technicaly leaving the bottle open should be fine in the perfect world scenario.

I do not see a problem with leaving it open while driving around in the car. However I would never suggest to anyone to leave there bottle open over night.

Yes a solenoid could leak through or malfuction. Then when you get in the car and start it there could be a problem. What I am pointing out is a potential problem not saying that if you do this it will happen.

I would never suggest doing something that would leave a window open for problems. Saving 3.00 worth of nitous (if that) Is not worth it.
Dave
Old 07-19-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

I tell most people who don't want to go for a remote opener that it's ok to leave it open during the day, but definately close it at night. You'll experience some possible slow leaks with all of that pressure on all of your fittings for extended time, and you'll also possibly see a phase change as well. If you think you might forget to close your valve at night, spring for a remote opener

you can see some we offer here

Remote bottle openers