Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why would an 01 TA detonate on a 50 shot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

absolutely not!! both my 96 AND my buds 99 are post maf
Old 07-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by b dub
but i thought the o2 would sense the lean condition and immediately add more fuel through the injectors? i dont understand how this wouldnt apply to every car and not just an LS1.
I believe the O2 sensors are ignored by the PCM under WOT (wide open throttle) conditions....someone correct me if I'm wrong. Our O2 sensors are narrow-band sensors anyway...they are really no where near accurate, more of a 'ballpark'.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FinalTA
I believe the O2 sensors are ignored by the PCM under WOT (wide open throttle) conditions....someone correct me if I'm wrong. Our O2 sensors are narrow-band sensors anyway...they are really no where near accurate, more of a 'ballpark'.
this is true, and i think i figured out my error(s) from you guy's info. youve been very helpful. im leaving now to the shop to make the changes then to make some runs, ill post the results later tonight.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, my SS had some knock on even a 75 shot. But the stock 98 timing tables were fairly aggresive. Also, does your Cobra run a FPR, is your dry kit hooked through it, many of them are?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Teching In

quick update: this is what i did:

1. pulled the mass air and cleaned it with electronic cleaner
2. repositioned the nozzle 6 inches in front of the mass air, plugged the other hole.
3. pulled all 8 plugs for autolite 103's
4. replaced fuel filter
5. pulled codes, bad o2 sensor, replaced with a new one.

on the way back to the house, mil goes off again, engine was running rough, pulled codes, and it said #8 misfire. seems my buddy didnt plug the wire in all the way. doh!!

will update again in a hour when the engine cools and he can get back there to tighten it.

b18, no regulator but now i know how its possible.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gotcha, so how does it fuel on your Cobra?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ford computers are not as advanced as the LS1 GM computers.
The 5.0 systems actually work by spiking a fuel pressure regulater to add the needed fuel. The LT1 systems works the same way..

The newer fords use a dry system that is computer controlled with a module. NOS offers this.

The LS1 is a whole different annimal. WE actually spray before the maff and the needed fuel is added through the injectors by the PCM.

Welcome to LS1 tech...
There are more ford guys on here you you would think..
Let me know if you guys need any tech help. No matter what make or model.
Dave
Old 07-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by B18B1LS1
Gotcha, so how does it fuel on your Cobra?
your gonna force me to say, arent you? *sigh* kinda embarrasing, but i havent actually run it yet. (other issues) now i realize it will not work. for some bonehead reason, i just thought this is how you run all nitrous kits. wet kits add additional fuel anyway; and dry kits go a lil lean at first, then the computer compensates with more fuel. now i realize this is IMPOSSIBLE because the friggin computer doesnt USE the o2 at WOT. theres just no other way for it to tell its running lean/rich. kinda ironic that a diehard mustang guy had to learn this from an LS1 site, huh?! ive been schooled by the LS1 crowd, lol.

but once again, thanks guys. heres one on me

edit: additional thoughts

Last edited by b dub; 07-20-2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
The 5.0 systems actually work by spiking a fuel pressure regulater to add the needed fuel. The LT1 systems works the same way..

The newer fords use a dry system that is computer controlled with a module. NOS offers this.

The LS1 is a whole different annimal. WE actually spray before the maff and the needed fuel is added through the injectors by the PCM.

Welcome to LS1 tech...
There are more ford guys on here you you would think..
Let me know if you guys need any tech help. No matter what make or model.
Dave
wow, cool. you seem to be the nitro pro lol. by newer ford, do you mean the 4.6? cuz thats what i have. ive come to the realization in the past 6 hours from this thread that all dry shots HAVE to be pre maf if theres no AFPR. what nos kit you referring to? the dual solenoid/AFPR one?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet

Dave
Same as my Honda, works great too!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Teching In

FINAL UPDATE

just walked in and am pretty disapointed. car ran great on the 50, detonated a lil on the 75. so i shut it off and we called it a night. my bud and i were really hoping for the 100.

so heres my question: timing adjuster, do they make them for LS1's? which do you recommend, etc.

edit: SECOND QUESTION: how do i tell if theres a tune on the car?

Last edited by b dub; 07-21-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

They do, although I would first see if the tune is stock or not. One way would be for a tuner to pull it and take a look, the most inexpensive might be to have it re-flashed to a stock tune at a dealer. Here is a link to the LS1 TT, although I'm not sure it will be the solution to your problem, as there seems to be some gremlins lurking in your set up:

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...cat=308&page=1

Matt
Old 07-21-2006, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

That's it, you got it.

Matt

Originally Posted by FinalTA
Old 07-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
Here is a link to the LS1 TT, although I'm not sure it will be the solution to your problem, as there seems to be some gremlins lurking in your set up:http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...cat=308&page=1
cool, is there anything cheaper? i know on the good ol mustang timing adjusters are like 180 bucks.

so if it has a tune, could i still run the nitro, as long as the timing is retarded sufficiently, or would it absolutely have to be on a stock tune?

what would a dealership charge for a stock tune reflash? (curious)