Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous horror stories?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nitrous horror stories?

Has anyone actually had a nitrous horror story? As in the nitrous killed something in their engine? Just want to know if there is anything i really should expect with a 75-125 shot and to prevent it.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Has anyone actually had a nitrous horror story? As in the nitrous killed something in their engine? Just want to know if there is anything i really should expect with a 75-125 shot and to prevent it.

people blow **** up with nitrous all the time man, but it's because they use it improperly or don't use saftey features and precautions
Old 07-26-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spun a rod bearing the first time i sprayed, not related to nitrous though.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have most of the safety equipment you can have *besides a FPSS* and I should be fine. I haven't sprayed yet.

It's not the nitrous that blows the engine up...It's the user, and a poor tune. I will NOT spray my car until I get my tune looked at and make sure everything is ok.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Launching!

i already made this same exact thread a few months ago. Do a search and you will find it.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

nitrous and breakin **** go hand and hand. get ready for it and than get used to it.
had a fuel solenoid stick on my and i burnt a valve. but it was my fault, i should have serviced it and made sure it was ok before i used it after it sat over the winter without being worked.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as you routinely check the system, and make sure everything is working, you should have absolutely no problems with the nitrous hurting the motor. Just be worried about insane traction on your 10 bolt with drag radials.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Banned

it always amazes me how everyone is so quick to say "you will be fine, spray the **** out of it"

bottom line, with more power comes more problems. i had my system setup for months and was fine, all safety except FPSS. my car was also tuned. ended up blowing the ringland on #7

now it doesnt happen all the time, seems like most people have better luck than i have. ive even got 2 buddies running the same setup with 150 shot, and they have been perfectly fine. but just proof that **** DOES happen, so be dont be surprised. nothing is fullproof
Old 07-28-2006, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

I had a buddie of mine have a nitrous backfire on the dyno with his ws6. It blew up the front of the intake, and the back of it for the most part. Luckily it didnt blow up the motor. Now that i think about it I had one a couple of years ago on my old 98 camaro. It blew the air intake off the throttle body. Found out it was due to a spark plug wire that was burnt through so the engine wasnt running on all cylinders.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

You rarely hear about the horror stories. Nitrous is like playing with fire eventually you WILL get burned. Nitrous backfires are the worse, lots of flames and things burning. Cars burn quickly. Not a pretty site. Be careful what you read on the internet and dont get sucked in by the people saying "spray the **** out of it, it will be fine". Its your dollar, do your research and know the risks then decide if that is the route you want to go. For me I have done nitrous, heads/cam and know researching turbos. You have to pay to play the game, but it is a great game.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:01 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by marlowchris
You rarely hear about the horror stories. Nitrous is like playing with fire eventually you WILL get burned. Nitrous backfires are the worse, lots of flames and things burning. Cars burn quickly. Not a pretty site. Be careful what you read on the internet and dont get sucked in by the people saying "spray the **** out of it, it will be fine". Its your dollar, do your research and know the risks then decide if that is the route you want to go. For me I have done nitrous, heads/cam and know researching turbos. You have to pay to play the game, but it is a great game.

I carry a fire extinguisher in my race car. Everybody should. I could have lost the entire car to a nitrous backfire about 3 years ago if I didn't have the extinguisher and use it quickly. Other than a burnt up air induction system and a MAF that lost it's guts, there was no damage (due to the fire, that is). But popping the hood and finding **** on fire is not fun.

The backfire also damaged some piston rings, but the extinguisher couldn't help there.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, def. don't spray the **** out of it. Just be careful, and don't be stupid. I probably won't even use 1 spray a week, as I work a lot. As long as your car is in good running condition, and you're smart, you should be fine. Accidents do happen.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TWS
I carry a fire extinguisher in my race car. Everybody should. I could have lost the entire car to a nitrous backfire about 3 years ago if I didn't have the extinguisher and use it quickly. Other than a burnt up air induction system and a MAF that lost it's guts, there was no damage (due to the fire, that is). But popping the hood and finding **** on fire is not fun.

The backfire also damaged some piston rings, but the extinguisher couldn't help there.
If I should carry a fire extinguisher, Unfortunaty not to stealthy but I would like one that looks good below the dash but works good to.what types are you/ yall using that works well and looks good too?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:16 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
If I should carry a fire extinguisher, Unfortunaty not to stealthy but I would like one that looks good below the dash but works good to.what types are you/ yall using that works well and looks good too?

I'm just carrying a generic type that you could buy in Wal-mart. The relatively small bottle that some people keep in their kitchen etc. It's a dry chemical powder type.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TWS
I'm just carrying a generic type that you could buy in Wal-mart. The relatively small bottle that some people keep in their kitchen etc. It's a dry chemical powder type.
Thanks for the reply. Ive had a car burn down before and I was helpless to do anything. Some stranger pulled over and used an exinguisher on it but it didnt do much to the flames. kinda like spitting into a flame.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

I love the spary, its awesome.
AND in my case, it was only due to laziness.
MAKE sure you complete the enire install before you go try it out.
Even the small details, get them in before hitting it.
Get every device possible to thwart a mishap.
It still can happen....
MAKE sure you do so much research on it, that you feel VERY confident in using it.
Any GOOD nitrous guy, is a very EDUCATED nitrous guy!

ANd once you hit it, you will feel inadequate without it!

BTW Having to get the bottle filled, sucks, just get 2 of them.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Banned

I have a neighbor in a 99 gt that is spraying a 150 shot on his stock fuel system with a stock tune without a window switch Lol i have told him a million times that he is going to blow his **** up soon being stupid and not being safe. And his excuse is that he is a good driver I am betting i will have a story and a vid coming soon of a 99 gt blowing up at the line on spray
Old 07-28-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001z
I have a neighbor in a 99 gt that is spraying a 150 shot on his stock fuel system with a stock tune without a window switch Lol i have told him a million times that he is going to blow his **** up soon being stupid and not being safe. And his excuse is that he is a good driver I am betting i will have a story and a vid coming soon of a 99 gt blowing up at the line on spray
I'm betting he wont admit it even when he does. he will probably say he's upgrading the motor.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Robert
Old 07-28-2006, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

^^^^^pwned