Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone used/heard of pneumatic nitrous solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone used/heard of pneumatic nitrous solenoids

So ive been scoping out different nitrous systems for my new motor and I came across this webiste.
Pneumatic Solenoids

There's not much info on their website so im gonna try and call them this week. Anybody heard of this type of solenoid for nitrous? Or know of anyone with experience with them? Seems like it could eliminate alot of problems associated with nitrous.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air fired noids have been around awhile. They can work, but are more complicated to set-up, maintain and cost is also a factor. Have you not wondered why the pro's don't use them?
Robert
Old 09-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
Air fired noids have been around awhile. They can work, but are more complicated to set-up, maintain and cost is also a factor. Have you not wondered why the pro's don't use them?
Robert
To be honest im pretty new to nitrous so...
Old 09-05-2006, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by adams2003
To be honest im pretty new to nitrous so...

So is Robert.

J/K...
Old 09-05-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

We use pneumatically operated valves in the gas systems I work on at my job. Judging by the prices I pay, I wouldn't think it would be too economical for nitrous use on a car. The other issue is you'll need a carry along bottle of a compressed gas (air, nitrogen) to actuate the valves. Doesn't have to be very big since you're not really flowing gas to pop the pneumatic valves, but another thing to worry about. I would think it would get really complicated once you figured out how to wire in all the safety devices too (fuel press, WOT, window switch).

Theoretically if funds were unlimited, you could also use a pneumatic bottle valve to open up the nitrous bottle AND to open the valves feeding it in. I've tossed around the thought of doing that when I get nitrous and then using regular soleniods for at the motor. But no idea what the pricing would be. Probably pretty simple to hook up a pneumatic switch to control the bottle.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

i think i still have the brochure from PRI when i stopped by their spot. a set of solenoids cost almost as much as a complete nitrous kit. and you still have to get everything else. the rep told me you could run a line off the nitrous to open them with. so, double the cost to not have to run some wiring.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Launching!

http://www.koehlerinjection.com/Koeh...o/comboflo.htm

Here is a place that sells them. They are a bit more expensive but they also flow more than just about any other solenoid. And if you get the combo flows which are the fuel and nitrous side the price isn't too bad. I have dealt with a guy that swears by them in all the custom kits he builds. And also from what I understand they can not be pulsed. They are an intresting product but I think they have limited appeal in a street application.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know back from the dead,just want to see if anyone is using this. It seems it would help with nitrous noids failing,but you need another bottle of compressed air to activate..Is there a way to simplify it seems complicated to set up..I would just like to set up a dry kit and not worry so much of a noid failure..I know its far and few,just looking into it
Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

There are a few ProMod cars I have seen that use air operated noids. All 7 and 6 second cars.