Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous On carb engines.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous On carb engines.

Please fill me in on how these setups work. I have tried to search but get nothing. Basically i have no idea how these kits are tuned? Are you able to have window switches? What are the "security features" if you will as far as not spraying too early, or shutting down the spray while shifting?
Thanks for any help
Old 09-25-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's basically the same as an efi motor...You can't run a dry kit though. You can tune it by using different jet's or adjusting the fuel pressure on the regulator if you have a standalone fuel system for the nitrous.

You can still run a window switch and a fuel pressure switch if you'd like, but nitrous systems for carbureted cars only need 5-7 psi of fuel pressure so the standard efi hobbs switch won't work.

My setup is just an arming switch and a micro switch...It'll spray through the shifts and will activate when I floor it(which should flash the converter to about 3300-3500)
Old 09-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Thakns man, i do have so more questions if you dont mind.

Please forgive me if i get this wrong because i am a noob. So you only have a triggering switch and a mico switch which im guessing cuts the spray off while still being armed? If not how would i shut off during shifts? So really window switches and all of that good stuff arent needed? Just get the kit set it up right, make sure to have the right jet and pressure and go nuts lol. Im sure its not that easy so what else am i missing?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well basically I've got a toggle to turn the system on, and the WOT throttle switch. So the second I Go full throttle on launch it will spray. I spray it through the shifts, but I also have a trans that will hold up to doing so.

You can set it up with a WOT switch and a window switch if you'd like...It's good insurance if you dont want it to spray through shifts or incase you over rev the motor. So basically the only time it will spray is when you're going full throttle and within the rpm range of the window switch.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Thanks again man, I think thats exactly what i want. I dont want to spray through the shifts, but i do like the WOT Switch! I was wondering how else that worked! If you dont mind me asking, who's kit would you reccomend? Im thinking a NX 100 shot, with their WOT Switch and Window switch. Suggestions?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I prefer Nitrous Express...Especially their plate kits. The plate is all machined out of aluminum including the actual spray bar in the middle. Most other companies still use a brass tube for a spray bar, but this style NX uses is much nicer IMO. More durable too... The solinoids are lifetime warranty, which is a plus. I'm pretty sure most of the big name companies offer lifetime warranties too now.

I run the hitman kit. Sprays up to 200, and was only $289. Came with pretty much everything I needed. The only thing I bought extra was the WOT switch and a relay. It's a very nice kit for the price...I'd recommend it.

The only company I wouldn't buy from is Zex. While they're nice kits as far as technology is concerned(Adjusting the fuel and nitrous mixture according to bottle pressure, etc.), I've seen inside the control box and the solinoids are tiny. I wouldn't trust them.

You should talk to one of the nitrous vendors on this site...They can tell you much more than I can about which kit will work best.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

I can second the NX kits...I have one and have run one for a long time...I have the NX Stage six twin spray bar....50-300hp on my car....I havent sprayed that setup...but with a stock motored 302 with a carb and full exhaust on slicks with built rear with a 5-speed it went 12.7's NA, 10.8@124 on gas.......all on a 150hp shot..I am actually trying to sell all my NX stuff...I will cut you a hell of a deal...Let me know if your interested....

My car will be setup to release off the trans break....Meaning I will have a master arm swithch to power the system...have a WOT switch on the carb. here is the catch..When I go to the floor on the 2-step, yo get it from spraying, you have to run 2 relays through the nitrous...Its hard to explain, but it ties into the trans break, so when the trans break button is activated, the relay cuts the power to the nitrous and fuel noids...when your turn lose the button it will spray like a mad man......I am sure somebody elese will come in and correct me with the way it works...I just cant explain it..lol

As far as spraying..make sure you double check your fuel pressure, make sure you have good set of plugs, make sure to gap them...Also, make sure you pull out some timming.....I pull 1* per 50hp....thats just me..most pull 2* per 50hp....the est way to tune it is set the fuel pressure around 6psi...(depends on your fuel system...) pull out 3-4 *timming, go spray it on the street with a 100hp..pull the plug out and see what it looks like......if its white you know it lean, if its black its rich...you can usally just drop the fuel pressure on the regulator, or go down a jet on your plate...Good luck man, if you need anything ask.....

ps- its also good to have a pyrometer and a fuel pressure guage inside your car...that way when your going down the track, you can check to see if your dropping fuel pressure, or leaning out.....just some words of advice.

Last edited by SPRAYIN96TA; 09-26-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Launching!

I cant thank you guys enough. BTW the Hitman was the kit i was thinking about getting! And SPRAYIN96....thank you very much for that info. I had no idea how to adjust or even remotely "tune" a system on these kind of cars. Im basically looking at the same setup 302, i want to go with a TREMEC Deluxe 5-speed but im afraid it'll hurt the value of the car? However im not sure the stock Tranny can handle 500-600 on the shot? Also what did you do as far as a built rear? Im thinking with a 5 speed i can handle 4.10's? You can PM me if you want to, i could use the help!

Thanks again guys

BTW this isnt going to be a track car. Its going to be a build up (with my dad and I) and is going to be my weekend car that has some damn good kick!

Also i talked to my dad and the engine builder, and im thinking about ordering some nice Internals...Manley Rods, either forged Crank or a nice cast, and probably JE Wiesco Pistons? And on top of that a nice Cam like what the MS3 sounds like. Would you reccomend going this route? I am really thinking about it because ill have extra reasurrance with the forged internals, freshened up motor, and with the Cam, Lite But Stong rods i can rev to 8k, and the spray will love it!

Last edited by smokey1226; 09-26-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokey1226
I cant thank you guys enough. BTW the Hitman was the kit i was thinking about getting! And SPRAYIN96....thank you very much for that info. I had no idea how to adjust or even remotely "tune" a system on these kind of cars. Im basically looking at the same setup 302, i want to go with a TREMEC Deluxe 5-speed but im afraid it'll hurt the value of the car? However im not sure the stock Tranny can handle 500-600 on the shot? Also what did you do as far as a built rear? Im thinking with a 5 speed i can handle 4.10's? You can PM me if you want to, i could use the help!

Thanks again guys

BTW this isnt going to be a track car. Its going to be a build up (with my dad and I) and is going to be my weekend car that has some damn good kick!

All those passes were with a STOCK t-5...It had a 8.8 with 4.30's with 33 spline axles, moser spool....I am not the type to be easy on a tranny...I dont belive in driving it easy..I would go to the track, unload the car, heat the bottle, roll to the line, set her on 6000 and drop the clutch.....never let off the gas....I was brought up to drive it like you stole it...I will admit, with 4.10's on gas, you got to know how to bang that gear box....the shifts come fast..that 1-2 was a bitch in my car...I finally tore up the stock T-5 and put a TKO600 in it....then sold the car and got a TA.....

Man, with a stock bottom end with H/C/I and gas, my car was flyin on the street....with the C4 on nitrous it would haze the slicks at 55mph...

I think with a good driver, 4.10 or 4.30's , built rear (maybe tranny), with some mild H/C/I setup....and a NX 100hp shot you could run some 10.9's easy. My car would 60ft out of this world though..If you can get the power to the ground..it will go 10's.....If you have ANY questions..pm me man....

PS- we have put 250hp+ on stock bottom ends..its all in the tune man....everybody said it couldn't be done.....**** that, we had one last 6 passes on a 325hp shot.....it can be done......
Old 09-26-2006, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokey1226

Also i talked to my dad and the engine builder, and im thinking about ordering some nice Internals...Manley Rods, either forged Crank or a nice cast, and probably JE Wiesco Pistons? And on top of that a nice Cam like what the MS3 sounds like. Would you reccomend going this route? I am really thinking about it because ill have extra reasurrance with the forged internals, freshened up motor, and with the Cam, Lite But Stong rods i can rev to 8k, and the spray will love it!

I have a SCAT 4340 crank in my car..lightweight..., MAHLE rods and pistons with the short skirts, 12.1 compression...I can spray 350hp on my tops...I have a stock block....If your going with a mild street car, I would go with a nice built 347ci with SCAT 4340 crank, Manley rods, and some JE pistons....NA I spin my car 8350rpms......because I have a 4.56 gear and a 5800 8in Neil Chance converter....

Are you going to spray the car alot?? If so man, i would call billy gliden/comp cams, get them to make you a custom cam to specs...if your going to run it NA alot and once and awhile on gas....I would go with a E-303 Ford Racing cam....My old 94 mad STUPID power with a E cam.....its all in the tune man...