Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Activation Question (Newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous Activation Question (Newbie)

I am trying to get my first nitrous dry kit and I have a question in regards to when I can actually start and stop spraying. I am aware that I should use a window switch (A4) to avoid spraying between shifts but I would like to have a "spray on demand" if you will capability. In other words, while Im driving and the car has shifted out for the last time, I want to hold down a button and spray until I let the button go. What kind of switch/system do I need for that?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could do a bypass hand held type sw, to over ride the ws.
Robert
Old 11-04-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
You could do a bypass hand held type sw, to over ride the ws.
Robert

ok...explain please...do you mean bypassing or rerouting the wot switch? I am trying to avoid buying a window switch if the wot switch comes with the kit.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Launching!

I can't remember how to wire it but my friend didn't use the WOT switch in his car and just wired a button switch with the wires that were supposed to go to the WOT switch. Oh and the window switch, I don't think that is for spraying inbetween shift but to stop spraying at a set RPM.......the WOT switch is so M6 guys don't spray between shifts.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shuck
I can't remember how to wire it but my friend didn't use the WOT switch in his car and just wired a button switch with the wires that were supposed to go to the WOT switch.
thanks

This is what Im looking for....anyone have any insight on how to do this...?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never run a car with out the wot sw. What I am talking about is to use your wot, and a WS (wouldn't run without this either), then use a seperate activation sw that you can push on (and only works at wot) in high gear which will over ride the WS high rpm shut off.
If you don't run a wot sw and/or a WS you can easlly damge your motor. Plus you'll never run consistant times.
Robert
Old 11-04-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
I would never run a car with out the wot sw. What I am talking about is to use your wot, and a WS (wouldn't run without this either), then use a seperate activation sw that you can push on (and only works at wot) in high gear which will over ride the WS high rpm shut off.
If you don't run a wot sw and/or a WS you can easlly damge your motor. Plus you'll never run consistant times.
Robert

ok...I understand...thanks for explaining it...
Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Banned

noob!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

If you only want to use a push button(with an arming switch of course!).. I wired mine as such: It takes a complete electrical circuit to open the solenoids. negative and positive both.

Your rocker style on/off arming switch would be positive.. when on, the positive is giving power to the solenoids..they wont open until the circuit is complete and you have a ground..

The pushbutton does the same as the arming switch, except instead of connecting to a positive 12v sourse, you ground it.

Then when you are ready to race, arm the system by flipping your arming switch(positive, +) and then when ready to spray complete the circuit, and open the solenoids with the push button ground.

I couldent use a WOT switch as I have an electric throttlebody.. so I had to go thew push button route. Wouldent go any way.. I like having complete control.. especially if you only want to spray through one gear or so.. or maybe to give your low end a little more spunk.

-Lurius
Old 11-05-2006, 04:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lurius
If you only want to use a push button(with an arming switch of course!).. I wired mine as such: It takes a complete electrical circuit to open the solenoids. negative and positive both.

Your rocker style on/off arming switch would be positive.. when on, the positive is giving power to the solenoids..they wont open until the circuit is complete and you have a ground..

The pushbutton does the same as the arming switch, except instead of connecting to a positive 12v sourse, you ground it.

Then when you are ready to race, arm the system by flipping your arming switch(positive, +) and then when ready to spray complete the circuit, and open the solenoids with the push button ground.

I couldent use a WOT switch as I have an electric throttlebody.. so I had to go thew push button route. Wouldent go any way.. I like having complete control.. especially if you only want to spray through one gear or so.. or maybe to give your low end a little more spunk.

-Lurius
I had a system wired up back in 1988 (carbed 350 SBC) that had a micro WOT switch hooked up to the carb linkage where it could not activate unless your pedal was on the floor, but the actual spray was activated via a button on the NOS T-handle that was also wired in so that you couldn't spray until your thumb pressed that instant on/off button.

The T-handle was made by NOS and was pre-wired for this purpose, and just replaced the T-handle on the B&M Magnum Shifter for auto trans. Somehow my wiring Guru wired it up so:
(1) You armed the system with one switch.
(2) You had to have it @ WOT to spray.
(3) You also had to manually press that button on the shifter to spray.

You were on your own to not spray to early, I relied on the tach and never hit the button below 3000 RPM. This setup worked well, for an old school setup where window switches were unknown to us. Of course our fuel injected computer controlled systems are miles ahead of the old ways, and I would never spray without a Window switch, FPSS, and all the goodies we have access to now.

Last edited by ChevyGoldfinger; 11-05-2006 at 05:03 AM.