Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an idea, tell me what you think....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got an idea, tell me what you think....

Theres been alot talk about a nitrogen push systems to stop pressure drop. What about using 2 bottles and pressurize them to ,lets say 1500 each (thats only half of what the disc is rated for so it should be safe). Run a check valve on both and run them into a y-block, then into a pressure regulator that will keep your line pressure at whatever you desire? Let me know what you think about that cause I think i'm gonna be doing some experimenting with this and would like to hear your thought's on this. Ken
Old 11-15-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Veteran

The problem with this scenario is flow. Sure you can regulate the pressure with the regulator...but not flow. The flow through a given regulator will be dependant on the pressure.

Heres a scenario to help you understand. I use and impact gun on big bolts. My compressor runs at 125 psi and I can keep the trigger down for as long as I want and the impact gun will operate.

For hard to loosen bolts that 125 psi wont do..i use my nitrogen bottle with 3000 psi regulated down to about 350 psi and hook that to the impact gun. It GOES LIKE HELL....for about 4 seconds...then dies off because the regulator cannot keep up.

Now if you had a regulator that had a very large flow capability....say a 500 shot at 1000 psi...and then you used a jet in the nozzle...it could work. But I personally do not know of any regulators offhand. Im sure they are out there. but youll have to look hard.

So again...its not just pressure...but flow rate thru the regulator at a given pressure and then matching that to your system requirements. Your probably gonne need a regulator that is capable of flowing 80% more than your largest shot to keep things consistant.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your pressure at about 950/1000psi and dual bottles, and you see minimal pressure drop. The higher the pressure you start with the higher the psi lose after a run. here's mine tee'd into one line, 30lb's worth. Then click heater on, on the return road and you're ready for a back to back run.

Robert
Old 11-15-2006, 07:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
The problem with this scenario is flow. Sure you can regulate the pressure with the regulator...but not flow. The flow through a given regulator will be dependant on the pressure.

Heres a scenario to help you understand. I use and impact gun on big bolts. My compressor runs at 125 psi and I can keep the trigger down for as long as I want and the impact gun will operate.

For hard to loosen bolts that 125 psi wont do..i use my nitrogen bottle with 3000 psi regulated down to about 350 psi and hook that to the impact gun. It GOES LIKE HELL....for about 4 seconds...then dies off because the regulator cannot keep up.

Now if you had a regulator that had a very large flow capability....say a 500 shot at 1000 psi...and then you used a jet in the nozzle...it could work. But I personally do not know of any regulators offhand. Im sure they are out there. but youll have to look hard.

So again...its not just pressure...but flow rate thru the regulator at a given pressure and then matching that to your system requirements. Your probably gonne need a regulator that is capable of flowing 80% more than your largest shot to keep things consistant.
So if I could find a regulator that could meet my needs, it should work.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
Keep your pressure at about 950/1000psi and dual bottles, and you see minimal pressure drop. The higher the pressure you start with the higher the psi lose after a run. here's mine tee'd into one line, 30lb's worth. Then click heater on, on the return road and you're ready for a back to back run.

Robert
I planned on running two bottles no matter which way I go. I'm just trying to find a solution to pressure drop other than a nitrogen push setup. Hell right now i'm only losing around 100-150 psi per run. And thats with a single 10lb bottle @1100-1050 of pressure on a 300 shot. I plan on going with a bigger shot and would like find some safe means on doing it, thats all.