Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purge Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purge Solenoid

did a search and didnt quite come up with what i wanted.

does anyone here run a relay for the purge soleniod to run higher voltage. as i am having a problem getting the solenoid to open at high bottle pressure. i dont think this would eat the solenoid but i thought id post before i continue

Chomper
Old 11-28-2006, 05:14 AM
TECH Resident

Where are you getting higher voltage from? And why wouldn't you already be using a relay for your purge? I, myself, use a 30 amp mini relay.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on the amp Draw. If you are using a standard small purge solenoid there is no reason for a relay.
If you are using a large Nitrous solenoid for the purge it needs a relay.

What solenoid are you useing?
Dave
Old 11-28-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the smaller weaker noids will fail at higher bottle pressures. I currently have 3 that won't open much or at all at 1000/1050psi and when engine bay heats up. two different brands also. I allways run relays on my stuff, that way your only running mila amps from your dash area.
Robert
Old 11-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chomper
did a search and didnt quite come up with what i wanted.

does anyone here run a relay for the purge soleniod to run higher voltage. as i am having a problem getting the solenoid to open at high bottle pressure. i dont think this would eat the solenoid but i thought id post before i continue

Chomper
also check your wire size and grounding. Small wire size and/or poor grounds will cut current. Low current and the noid won't operate properly.
yep.. I've got first hand experience at this one. LOL.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had a dynotune purge that wouldnt work when the bottle pressure would get over 1100psi. i used to crack the feedline open till it dropped down.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Todd157k
also check your wire size and grounding. Small wire size and/or poor grounds will cut current. Low current and the noid won't operate properly.
yep.. I've got first hand experience at this one. LOL.
True story, that's exactly what happens when your engine bay/noid gets hot, the resistance goes up and then the noid does not have the power to overcome until it cools down.
Robert
Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Teching In

ive got a lightening purge soleniod from NX, i just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to melt down the noid
Old 11-30-2006, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
True story, that's exactly what happens when your engine bay/noid gets hot, the resistance goes up and then the noid does not have the power to overcome until it cools down.
Robert

what is the best way to keep the noid cooled down?
i thought tappin the purge letting the juice chill it down was the proper method?

what do u do about fuel noid that are near the hot motor? any worries?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

A good quality noid is the answer. Meaning stay away from the smaller weak noids. Every company has them, small/big powerfull/weak.
Robert
Old 12-01-2006, 01:36 PM
FormerVendor

I have not had any problems with the NX purge solenoids. So I do not think I would judge all the purge solenoids by body size. However by Orfice size and coil combo quality.

Dave
Old 12-01-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
I have not had any problems with the NX purge solenoids. So I do not think I would judge all the purge solenoids by body size. However by Orfice size and coil combo quality.

Dave
We have, and have sent them back for replacements. Now I don't know if this was a batch or what but was told it was known that a higher pressure can cause these to not open. Actually, we used a NOS powershot for a replacement while waiting on the new NX noid. These are the 3 brands I have personally seen go bad as purge noids NOS, NX and Dyno Tune. Not ranking any company or product, just backing up what I have said.
Robert
Old 12-01-2006, 01:56 PM
FormerVendor

Robert,
When NX went to the new lightning we had some issues with there first batch. NX quickly changed back to there 063 orfice and coil combination and the problem was gone..

I have seen more problems with the companys useing the 078 orfice solenoids in there kits and there purges than anyother solenoid. Its really just this solenoid combination.They are finiky and problematic.

You have to look past the actual body size and understand the combination as a whole
Dave
Old 12-01-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Robert,
When NX went to the new lightning we had some issues with there first batch. NX quickly changed back to there 063 orfice and coil combination and the problem was gone..

I have seen more problems with the companys useing the 078 orfice solenoids in there kits and there purges than anyother solenoid. Its really just this solenoid combination.They are finiky and problematic.

You have to look past the actual body size and understand the combination as a whole
Dave
Thanks for the clarification, as that is what I was thinking in the back of my mind about the NX noid.
On the small orifice noids I concure and can back it up from actual use.
Robert
Old 12-01-2006, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

No problem. I think you and I actually agree one something here..
Dave

Quick Reply: Purge Solenoid