Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Dry Shot GOES LEAN!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd157k
Keep us up-to-date with the conversion. Hopefully your problem will be solved. Unfortunately, if it is a fuel delivery problem, you could be sending a grenade into the motor. Although 383LQ4SS made a very good/technical case, I highly doubt your concerns of "slightly turned injectors" is going to make the difference between running fat and running EXTREMELY lean. There's gotta be something else wrong.

Definately check ou tthe fuel system first. However...I have installed and myself run many many dry setups. Some spraying as much as 325 rwhp..ALL DRY.

I can tell you that i have turned nozzles and made the hit go richer or leaner. Its actually semi common knowledge here as Robert will tell you.

I do believe he could get the system to work just fine by repositioning them so they hit the wires better.

And just to correct your statement to be sure we are on the same level...its "slightly turned nozzle"...not "slightly turned injector". Turning the injectors will have no effect.

Actually I can and have proven the fact that nitrous missing the wires will cause a lean condition...and the closer you get to the wires...the more at risk you are of going VERY lean if the nozzles are not aimed right. If they are aimed right...the closer you get the richer youll be.

The farther aways the less likely youll overshoot the wires but youll be leaner even with the best contact of nitrous over the wires with the greater distance. In most any application there will be a "best location" that will suit all the needs of a well installed dry kit.

Robert and many other LS1tech guys have done this as well.. It really is as simple as relocating or aiming the nozzles better.

For the record..I am more partial to dry setups on the LS1 than wet up to approx 250 rwhp shots. And I have used dry shots up to 320 rwhp with great success. And My next kit will be dry as well. They just have a few things like this that must be checked on. And the vettes intake is a bit more finicky than the F body. But I have seen this happen in both.

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 12-01-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the record..I am more partial to dry setups on the LS1 than wet up to approx 250 rwhp shots. And I have used dry shots up to 320 rwhp with great success. And My next kit will be dry as well. They just have a few things like this that must be checked on. And the vettes intake is a bit more finicky than the F body. But I have seen this happen in both.
Why only to 250rwhp? I am ready to make the move to 285rwhp.
Robert
Old 12-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Banned

oops.. sorry for the 'injector'.. typing too fast.

Looking forward to seeing his results. I'm taggin this thread. LOTS of good info here.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Todd157k
oops.. sorry for the 'injector'.. typing too fast.

Looking forward to seeing his results. I'm taggin this thread. LOTS of good info here.
Well im glad my thread is of use, even though I 'threw in the towel' as Robert suggested. I do believe you dry experts are right in that i must be overshooting the maf. But still, my gut just tells me to go wet. Back when I had an fbody, I ran a wet system on a full bolt on car and was running low 11's on a 100 shot....had that kit on there for over a year with countless bottles, zero probs. This is one reason I want to go back to wet. Just makes sense to me. I am not saying one or the other is better. I can honestly say that I didnt give the dry enough of a chance. I'll admit that. I am sure that when properly set up, it is excellent. But wet is just the direction I decided to take.

I'll keep this thread updated with the wet results and pics and such. Hell, maybe there is a prob with the fuel system and this is all a waste of time. Doubtful though.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
Why only to 250rwhp? I am ready to make the move to 285rwhp.
Robert
I just say that as a general rule of thumb. The old recipe of FMS greentop 42 lb injectors, walbro 255 lph intank with hotwire kit and voltage blaster to make 675-700 rwhp still applies and is pretty easy IMO. But that last 50 hp is much more finicky than the previous 250 to come by. And anything over that requires some serious thinking about tuning/fuel system/ MAF operation.
I hope that makes sense.
IOW...im just being a little conservative to what I tell others is ok.
And quit being a baby Robert...300+ shot for the vette!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
I just say that as a general rule of thumb. The old recipe of FMS greentop 42 lb injectors, walbro 255 lph intank with hotwire kit and voltage blaster to make 675-700 rwhp still applies and is pretty easy IMO. But that last 50 hp is much more finicky than the previous 250 to come by. And anything over that requires some serious thinking about tuning/fuel system/ MAF operation.
I hope that makes sense.
IOW...im just being a little conservative to what I tell others is ok.
And quit being a baby Robert...300+ shot for the vette!
Yea, when considering overall hp, however, I am only at 550rwhp area on the spray. Fuel system is upgraded and that 300rwhp shot is coming this spring on an absolutely bonestock long block. My SVO 42's are just a tad under the 80% duty cycle currently, so room to grow. Serious thinking about tuning/fuel and MAF are a for sure, and the reason I move so slow adding more spray. I want the ls6 to live, and make sure all parameters are in line.
Robert
Old 12-02-2006, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Did you log your maf? did you peg it with the spray? if you did not peg the maf to 511.99 with a shot that big it is not reading it properly

you could try something.... go into your maf airflow vs. frequency chart and find your max airflow value on moto( may be in the low 300's on your stock setup?)

so say if your max value N/A is 315g/sec find the freq. hz that shows 340g/sec and change every Hz. value above that to 512 g/sec see if that adds the enrichment you need.

I am not sure if it will work for you but it is worth a shot if the spray is not pegging the maf due to not reading the spray properly it may only be picking up a small amount of it.

right now I have my first dry shot shoot my maf reading up to 470+/- and my second pegs it i did this by setting my first shot up so it does not hit the maf fully. It works pretty good and it gives me a good af through two stages of spray and leaves me the option of not running the second stage if there is not enough traction to support it and it does not go pig rich assuming that the second stage is coming on.

( the proof is in the amount of holes in my callaway CAI )

Last edited by rmitchell242; 12-02-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSkeet
On the dyno tonight, I dialed in the WOT N/A tune to 13.0 across the chart and about 26-27* advance up to .76 g/cyl. Above .76, I made the timing 21* for the spray.

So, on the spray runs I had to let off each time because it would start spraying at 13:1afr and work its way up to 14-15afr.
I'd have a talk with your tuner about this.

btw, president Bush causes dry systems to go lean because he's the devil.
The solution is to elect a different president.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white2001s10

btw, president Bush causes dry systems to go lean because he's the devil.
The solution is to elect a different president.

this type of post annoys me weather or not I agree with it
Old 12-05-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rmitchell242
this type of post annoys me weather or not I agree with it
I thought is was funny as hell.
Robert
Old 12-05-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry to hijack a thread here, I want to spray my 408 also dryshot.My setup is racetronix 42lb,racetronix intank, on a 408 making 520hp to the ground.How would I know my inj. duty cycle to be safe on a 150 dry.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by marine02ss
Sorry to hijack a thread here, I want to spray my 408 also dryshot.My setup is racetronix 42lb,racetronix intank, on a 408 making 520hp to the ground.How would I know my inj. duty cycle to be safe on a 150 dry.
You'll have to log to know for sure. At 550rwhp I am slightly below 80%. So you would be well advised to check for a/f, kr and duty cycle before going to big on the spray for sfaetys sake.
Here is the math for a good idea on what an injector can do when leaning towards the 80% rule (which, imo, you can surpass for a 1/4 run with no issues).

(Anticipated bhp x .5) / 6.4 = min inj to meet 80% rule

So, add 12% drivetrain lose to your goal rwhp of 670 which equals 750flywheel hp.

750 x .5 = 375
375 / 6.4 = 58.58 min inj to meet 80%

Not sure if the Racetronic injectors are like the SVO 42's (I run these) which are actually 47/48's at our fuel pressure compared to the lower bar that Ford uses. Any way looks like your goal of 150 dry may be a little short in the injector area. Maybe a smaller hit would be fine if your injectors are rated at the Ford psi?

Robert
Old 12-05-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

So u think I should go with 60lbs injectors,woudlnt they be too big for the motor N/A
Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by marine02ss
So u think I should go with 60lbs injectors,woudlnt they be too big for the motor N/A
There are currently a couple threads going in the tune section on the 60's, yes they can be a little hard to get right down low, but doable.
Robert

Quick Reply: Nitrous Dry Shot GOES LEAN!!!!