Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importance of line lengths

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importance of line lengths

Im setting up a Direct port and before I go ordering the nozzle lines I need to get some things straight.

1. Im running 2 HSW Distribution blocks for a 4 cylinder. The blocks are going to end up between the center 2 cylinders and back about 3 inches(pic). The nozzle lines are going to tend to be alot shorter for the 2 closest nozzles. Im thinking that this might give me some uneven distribution between cylinders. I would like to keep them as close as possible for safety and ease of tuning.

Here is what Im talking about. You can see the bungs that need to be tapped in this pic.

Should I try to loop the center 2 nozzles' lines to give me an equal length effect? Or shouldnt it matter?

2. You can see the Fuel solenoid in the pic directly next to the distibution block. If you look on the firewall to the left there is a -4 bulkhead fitting, my nitrous solenoid resides behind that in the wiper tray. Im going to run a line from there to the black distribution block. I tried to make sure the ~60 psi fuel has a shorter path then the 1000psi N2O when the solenoids open. Is this a good idea? The last thing I want is a lean spike with the size shot I plan on running and if I need to change things now its no big deal, I just want it set up right the first time.

3. My second stage is a dual dry in a 3" pipe between the throttle body and the maf(pic). What is the best orientation for the HSW nozzles. I plan on bieng about 10" back from the throttle plate at about 10 and 2 o'clock in the pipe. Would there be enough time to get a good distribution before the throttle body?
Heres a pic without the pipe there yet, but its just a 3" pipe with a sharp 90* bend near the TB.

Thanks to all the vendors and members on here, I wouldnt have gotten as far on this project without this site
Big thatnks to Harris for getting me the parts I need quickly. They probably think Im a bit crazy for all the ordering Ive been doing.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The lengths have to be proportioned in progressive order to match the firing order of the engine.

No, just kidding
With that short of run it's not going to matter. Better to keep the bends to a minimum.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by white2001s10
The lengths have to be proportioned in progressive order to match the firing order of the engine.
Ha, I would do it if needed.

I dunno, Im sure it would be fine but Im ordering new ss lines anyway so if theres anything I can do better nows the time to do it.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Launching!

i was in the same predicament with my setup and my 4 center ports on my lt1 intake has 8 inch lines and the front 2 and rear two have about a 12 or so inch line, looked at alot of setups and there is alot like that floating around.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

It looks like that may be the case. Im assuming noone has done any type of testing.

Anyone have any insight on the dual dry setup? Will the 2&10 locations provide enough distribution in the pipe?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by scapaldo
It looks like that may be the case. Im assuming noone has done any type of testing.

Anyone have any insight on the dual dry setup? Will the 2&10 locations provide enough distribution in the pipe?
Testing of equal vs. unequal line lengths? Yes its been covered before, and reiterating what white said, with the length we're doing on these setups no significant gains, losses or risk are involved b/w the two. 2 & 10 will work fine as long the nozzles are not 180* type, if they are then place them facing eachother so the fogs hit eachother like the 5177 Kit does.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you sir.. They are the 60* nozzles.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Restricted User

Your welcome, and the 2-10 will work fine. With dry you may want to use a second coupler to test out placement, see where the nozzles like to be positioned, clockwise and distance wise. Dry can be more efficient when nozzles are placed right. GL.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Would it make a big difference if Im injecting post MAF? I was thinking that if Im injecting 6" before the TB that should be enough time for the N2O to mix with the intake charge as long as the nozzles are not right next to each other. I might run them at 10 & 2 and "tune" it via tightening/loosening the nozzles, changing the tragectory of the spray slightly. Ill be welding bungs into an IC pipe so testing out different nozzle locations may be tricky.
BTW this would be on a turbo car if that matters

One more thing, has anyone been running 2 different solenoid to nozzle line lengths to help with the difference in pressures from N2O to fuel.
TIA
Old 12-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Restricted User

Wet is normally setup post-maf, unless your SD. MAF's dont like the heavy fuel running across them As for different length to avoid a lean spike from having 900+psi nitrous racing against xxpsi fuel, no need to worry about it, but some ppl have used much longer nitrous lines, and the shortest line possible for fuel to help calm their nerves. You can setup a digital controller, and some, IIRC FJO, can open one solenoid before the other etc...
Old 12-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Take a gander at the original post, the first stage is a wet direct port but the second stage is a dual dry before the TB. The second being the one in question. So, being that they're post MAF, nozzle direction/orientation shouldnt make a substantial change in tune/AFRs as long as its set up reasonably(ie 10 & 2 positions), correct? And I should be able to play with the distribution/efficiency via turning the nozzles a bit without worry? I dont want to have poor distribution due to aiming the nozzles wrong or not giving enough time to mix in the pipe.

Good info on the FJO, I would probably have gotten one but my ECU has a window,tps,timing retard, speed switch etc built in so I just got the HSW Edge. I think my shortening of the fuel line should suffice for now.

Thanks for your help, I have a good grasp on this but Im trying to get all the info I can before I finish this thing.