Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Up in Flames... Fire Bad!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many licks does it take to get to the center of an LS6? Now we know. Congrats to you Robert for pushing for the limit and finally finding it!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99FRC
How many licks does it take to get to the center of an LS6?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Robert,
Sorry to see what happened. Of course you already knew it was comming so it does not hurt as bad when it finnaly happens.lol

What was the airfuel when it let go? Do you have that graph. Sounds like it detnated and snap the rod.
Dave
Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear...

Originally Posted by Robert56
Here's the dyno sheet, for what ever it's worth (oh yea a new best on torque).
Robert

and thats probably what cost the bottom end...
Old 03-19-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Robert,
Sorry to see what happened. Of course you already knew it was comming so it does not hurt as bad when it finnaly happens.lol

What was the airfuel when it let go? Do you have that graph. Sounds like it detnated and snap the rod.
Dave
I was watching the a/f it was in the high 10's when it let go, but that still is no gurantee that some detonation wasn't going on. It had been running for some time at 250rwhp, and think the 285 was just the nail in the coffin. I had to shut down and during all the ensuing fun didn't save the a/f, or any of the other logged parameters. It was choking from the get go, and could feel something was up (rpms weren't climbing as hard and fast as normal), but I have this tendancy to not let up, so...
Anyway, I am very sure a 300rwhp on a good tune could be done on occassion on the stock ls6 with no harm done. Wish we hadn't waited so long to go big. Just to much wear and tear at the time to go real big, but wanted to push it I guess.

George, owner of Turbo Tech, said I was the first and only person to blow their motor on his rollers in his 15 years. So, I did get a consolation prize after all.

Robert
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Damn that's nuts. Good luck with your new build. 9's or bust
Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Robert, What was your timming at? How did you have your tune set up?

Have you tore it apart yet to see if it was the piston or the rod?
Dave
Old 03-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned

Although I expected something a little more spectacular from you, it was sad. It's also sad to see you leave the "xxx rwhp on a stock motor" group. Looking forward to the next monster...

Beer... you're up next. (someone has to fill his shoes.)
Old 03-19-2007, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like it was fun while it lasted. Stock blocks can sure take a beating. How DD many miles were on this motor?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

we neeed a teardown report!!!

I would like to see if there was pitting on the piston tops at all. Or any evidence of previous detonation.

Ya know...with rod snappage...alot of times the damage was done a long time ago during some other event or mishap that cause detonation. But the rod was slightly bent or comprimised. Then once that happens it will let go at some other point in the future.

I snapped a rod in the burnout box. It was bent to hell and I never nknew it.

I know exactly when it happened though. Massive detonation a few weeks earlier when I accidentally sprayed a 350 shot on pump gas at 3000 rpms a few times. Burnt a valve and melted plugs and blew a head gasket..but the bottom end was ok. So I rolled with it. The dameg to the bottom end showed up a few weeks later in the burnout box. Mild 4500 rpm burnout and as soon as I let off the gas...pop. These were Lunati Pro Mod rods.

Anyways..good luck Robert. Youll be back and better than ever.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sux Robert,sorry to hear this
BTLFEDSS
Old 03-19-2007, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stealth71
Looks like it was fun while it lasted. Stock blocks can sure take a beating. How DD many miles were on this motor?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Robert, What was your timming at? How did you have your tune set up?

Have you tore it apart yet to see if it was the piston or the rod?
Dave
Dave on the timming not for sure, as I said I lost my log. Anyway, normally I run 22*, but had it set to pull an additional 4*, and i didn't see any knock retard while running on dyno. I also had 101 octane about 90%, but normally run 104, and some were saying the 101 from this source is not up to snuff, so...

On the tear down see below post.
Robert
Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stealth71
Not a whole lot, it just turned 15k on the odometer, but most mileage is to/from the track, and of course accumulated 1/4 passes.
Robert
Old 03-19-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
we neeed a teardown report!!!

I would like to see if there was pitting on the piston tops at all. Or any evidence of previous detonation.

Ya know...with rod snappage...alot of times the damage was done a long time ago during some other event or mishap that cause detonation. But the rod was slightly bent or comprimised. Then once that happens it will let go at some other point in the future.

I snapped a rod in the burnout box. It was bent to hell and I never nknew it.

I know exactly when it happened though. Massive detonation a few weeks earlier when I accidentally sprayed a 350 shot on pump gas at 3000 rpms a few times. Burnt a valve and melted plugs and blew a head gasket..but the bottom end was ok. So I rolled with it. The dameg to the bottom end showed up a few weeks later in the burnout box. Mild 4500 rpm burnout and as soon as I let off the gas...pop. These were Lunati Pro Mod rods.

Anyways..good luck Robert. Youll be back and better than ever.
Tear down in the morning. So far what we can see is the balancer out about a 1/2 inch, so (I know cranks never go) some are speculating that maybe the crank or something down low. Pulling the intake there was no sign of piston exploding? So at this point I am not sure yet what happened.

Here's somthing maybe you have insight on. Tuff had said it sounded flat, and I agree. i noticed from the get go something was up. It just seemed to be lagging in pickup concerning rpms. Maybe is was a rod that snapped, and thus not running up to par, as I am very familar with this car and new something wasn't right (should ahve got my foot out of it, oh well hindsight...).

Thanks Al, i do have a lead on another ls6 block and may just forge it, or (I don't know a whole lot about it yet) maybe the 416 l92. I here some are getting great numbers out of them n/a, over 500hp. Looking also at a 402 from LME with pro mod rods and gas port Wisecos. So many options out there today?
Robert
Old 03-19-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Another Video

Here's differnt copy of the run, shows the aluminum residules out both exhaust pipes, any insight? I don't know yet who took this one, but there are a total of 4 differnt cameras that were going. Guess everyone except me was expecting something to happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLzicgwVH_8
Robert
Old 03-19-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

My guess is you had a cracked or crushed ringland even before you started the dyno test. Then the nitrous torque finally just disintegrated the piston, after that destruction ensued..... PS. When you snap a rod IMMEDIATE destruction ensues.

Did the dipstick ever push slightly out of the tube when spraying before?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
My guess is you had a cracked or crushed ringland even before you started the dyno test. Then the nitrous torque finally just disintegrated the piston, after that destruction ensued..... PS. When you snap a rod IMMEDIATE destruction ensues.

Did the dipstick ever push slightly out of the tube when spraying before?
I should have made it more clear on the rod thing. I meant if it was allready bent, maybe that's why it didn't feel right, then it let go while spraying this time?

Yes, ring lands are a big issue on the hypercraptics.

Dip stick has never moved before. This is one reason i think the piston went, then the block was pressurized by the open hole?
Robert
Old 03-19-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Robert,

Nobody really likes to be forced into a new build and I'm sure this isn't the way you wanted to go. Good to hear you're jumping on a new setup and I'll look forward to hearing what you do.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Robert56
Dave on the timming not for sure, as I said I lost my log. Anyway, normally I run 22*, but had it set to pull an additional 4*, and i didn't see any knock retard while running on dyno. I also had 101 octane about 90%, but normally run 104, and some were saying the 101 from this source is not up to snuff, so...

On the tear down see below post.
Robert
Wow 22 degrees for a 285 shot. I would think you needed more pulled out even with the race gas. Have you ever read the spark plugs to see where the timming mark was on them. Relying on the computer to tell you knock can be misleading.

All aside though Kudos for all you have put that stock motor through. You deffintly have gotton your moneys worth.lol

Looking forward to seeing what the new build turns out to being.
Dave

Quick Reply: Up in Flames... Fire Bad!