Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave stop causing trouble
Old 05-22-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
If and when I finally get my system done...I will probably go progressive as well...

I love the fjo software for controlling the unit, great flexibility

BadAssFast, I finally got COS 5 to work to pull timing...ran into fuel pump issues though, my new racetronics pump and hotwire kit does not like 100% TP as it drops to 35 PSI ...I am hoping its something easy like a fuel filter.
Beer Meister - ditto ++ on the COS 5 and the FJO...be certain of those grounds !! Somewhere in the neighbor hood of 600 rwhp my racetronix could no longer supply what I needed. I have never looked back on the seperate pump and fuel supply from Nitrous Outlet. FJO and Dave helped us learn to Dyno with the Progressive controller as well...there are some tricks a the massive hps we dyno (well massive to the casual racer .) I know what to expect at the Dyno and the track...funny how they are so different!!

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Dave stop causing trouble
Old 05-22-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Robert, Easy there buddy. Looks like you took my post as being aimed at you.... It was not aimed at you. I was just simply sharing my another perspective on the same conversation. I only quoted you do to the fact I was responding to the same conversation your were remarking were towards. Breath deep.lol

As far as any vender looking at dollar value as a reason for preference. Thast just stupid... If that was the case trust me they would never sell a FJO progressive controller and would push as many stages as possible towards the customer. We sell a average of 30 to 50 FJO minis a month year round. Sometimes more. I can tell you that there is absulutly no profit margin at all in stocking the FJO product line. As a matter of fact our dealers get nothing off FJO progressive controllers. If I could find a better product I would drop the FJO product in a heart beat just for the fact that I keep so much money tied up in there invatory and the store does not make jack off of it. We simply stock and sell the FJO progressives because the best product on the market..
Here's what i really meant about the vendor and the dollar thing. Remember, I worked for a n2o vendor. Ok, my opinion on the progressives has been established. Now, because of loyality to a company a person works for, stating a seemingly negative view of a product that a customer may be interested in is bad bussiness. So, this is where my now unbiased opinions are directed. It's truly what I believe. No longer candy coated for the benifit of the company and it's profit margin. This is why I felt it important to make sure no one thought I was talking about Ricky, as his post stated clearly, how he see's things, straight up he said, pick your posion, or something like that. I think really that's my view also, however, i like to throw out some things that may have swayed myself to make my personal choice, which will certainly not fit all. that's why I used the imo thing, to make sure people saw that my staements on progressives was not an absolute.

I truly wish I had the time like you do sometimes, to really detail out my views/thoughts/insights. You do/can spell out things when you want to, and it's a benifit to all I suppose. I don't even have the time to read your long post above, right now, but am sure it's loaded with good stuff that the end user can consume. Carry on.

Edit: Oh yea, my 408 came today, yippie.
Robert
Old 05-22-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BadAssFast
Beer Meister - ditto ++ on the COS 5 and the FJO...be certain of those grounds !! Somewhere in the neighbor hood of 600 rwhp my racetronix could no longer supply what I needed. I have never looked back on the seperate pump and fuel supply from Nitrous Outlet. FJO and Dave helped us learn to Dyno with the Progressive controller as well...there are some tricks a the massive hps we dyno (well massive to the casual racer .) I know what to expect at the Dyno and the track...funny how they are so different!!

hey, Macon, have you gone to the return and reg at the rails? If not this is a good way to make your Racetronics capable of over 700hp. This info and exacts are on their web site, I can link ya if you can't find it. I have done this myself, and hopefully it will support my first goal of 700rwhp, time will tell. but at 575 area rwhp my Racetronics hasn't waveried at all, so it's got growing room.
Robert
Old 05-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myfast70
Well, with all of this talk about progessive controller's and noids what's your take on everything? Do you see more issues with lightning solenoids on progressive's? Do this affect or void warranty on them? What does your warranty cover? I'm sorry to grill you with these questions, but the answers may help some people decide which way to go. Especially when the hear it from a rep as yourself.

myfast70 thanks for the questions.

ok on your first one
Progressive controllers have come a long way from the begining. The microprocessor used in todays are most top notch. Sure there is some questionable parts still floating around, that people sell, and I guess there always will be.
I use to say a progressive was only needed if you had traction issues. That statement is a little off for what I know now. Progressive controllers not only help traction they can help torque load on the engine.
Most damage to any nitrous engine is where you have loaded too much nitrous into the engine at the wrong RPM. The cylinder pressure go throu the roof, and can lead to detentation, or slow the exceleration of the engine for a moment. So a progressive controller has some benifits.
1) tractions aid
2) control cylinder pressure
3) can stop backfires(if cuased by intake saturation)

You could dial in a car to run as fast with a progressive control as without. Even if the car had perfect traction. Why becuase alot of torque in the launch on cars is not even used, it gets wasted because the car just can not handle it, or use it properly. Torque convertor slip, engine not allow to rev CLEANLY, etc.

Now will a progressive box beat up your solenoids. YES and NO. The progressive box by its nature will do shorten a solenids life.
How much? depends on usage and whos solenoids. So thats bad right, not really. With the new compensating piston and teflon pistons out there the shorten life is far out of most peoples range you will sell the nitrous system, or just buy new solenoids before the others are used up. thats the NO. ( most poeple buy new noids even thou the others are fine, its a new thing. )

No issues with lightning soleniods on progressive conrollers none at all.

You will need to match your progressive controller with the solenoids you are using. Many controllers on the market, and most are built to work within 1 companies product line.
EXP. NX solenoids and old NOS progressives run into troubles, the old units lets say anything from about a year ago to older, would have huge troubles with NX solenoids amp draws.

There is alot of magic that goes into a good progressive controller, not all solenoids use the same coils so the solenoids will react differently to the controlls.

In closing I like the FJO KWS0022. Not becuase I sell it, look at the lay out, its functions, its abilities and the big picture. There is another one I like just can not give it any props.

FJO unit offer good controls, tps and window switches controlls. So you are really not buying a progressive your buying 2

progressive's
tps
window switch's
something you install anywhere in the car.

progressive controllers at this time does not effect the warranty as it stands. If your solenoid is damaged due with one of our controllers you are covered. Warranty does not, never has, coverd the coils. IF it burns out from being ran to long, that part you will have to buy.

Hope this helps hit me up if you have any other questions.

Ricky

Last edited by NXRICKY; 05-23-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
hey, Macon, have you gone to the return and reg at the rails? If not this is a good way to make your Racetronics capable of over 700hp. This info and exacts are on their web site, I can link ya if you can't find it. I have done this myself, and hopefully it will support my first goal of 700rwhp, time will tell. but at 575 area rwhp my Racetronics hasn't waveried at all, so it's got growing room.
Robert
Not yet - mainly because I don't have to. RWHP with the Hotwire kit, thru a TH400 Yank Nitrous 4000 Stall and 4.11 with 28x10.5 looked like it started to poop out at about 600 rwhp...some will get more maybe 700 even 750 - not I !! I love using Dave's stand alone with the second Walboro to compliment the Racetronix. Anyway - the old black car is being completely refitted. I love the Racetronix no doubt but two (even if one is just a lonely Walboro is great)!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not yet - mainly because I don't have to. RWHP with the Hotwire kit, thru a TH400 Yank Nitrous 4000 Stall and 4.11 with 28x10.5 looked like it started to poop out at about 600 rwhp...some will get more maybe 700 even 750 - not I !! I love using Dave's stand alone with the second Walboro to compliment the Racetronix. Anyway - the old black car is being completely refitted. I love the Racetronix no doubt but two (even if one is just a lonely Walboro is great)!
Yea, I plan on using dave's Vararam stand alone for building my stand alone system for a dry hit. Yes, the dry guys will soon be able to not have to mix race gas any longer.

Hey did any of you guys see my dyno sheet/run that I had a dry hit set-up to be very much a progressive hit, a progresser, without a progressive controller, true story. It also mimicks the the curves of a turbo.
Robert

Last edited by Robert56; 05-23-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned

Someday I definitely plan to buy a progressive controller. Right now, I'm just running a WOT switch and window switch. The bigger the shot, the more important a progressive controller becomes in my opinion. Right now I'm just taking baby steps. 150 shot, then 200. Probably with the 200 I'll get a progressive controller. I get alittle concerned though with some of the rules against electronics at the track...
Old 05-25-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Im not a fan of progressors. I would rather have 2 stages and chang rpm to determin how much comes on and what not. im not a fan of 1 million lean spikes during a run. and unless you jet it extra rich every time it opens and closes the n20 gets to the valve faster than the fuel. so even if your maintaining a "safe" A/F its more like its extra rtich with lean spikes. its not the best for making power. Flame away its stil my opinion. I have seen more motors give up with progressors than not.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
Im not a fan of progressors. I would rather have 2 stages and chang rpm to determin how much comes on and what not. im not a fan of 1 million lean spikes during a run. and unless you jet it extra rich every time it opens and closes the n20 gets to the valve faster than the fuel. so even if your maintaining a "safe" A/F its more like its extra rtich with lean spikes. its not the best for making power. Flame away its stil my opinion. I have seen more motors give up with progressors than not.
A man who truly knows, check out his time in sig.
Robert
Old 05-25-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

why you need more then one stage and a button.

Look at the times in my sig
Old 05-25-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Oh **** - the dreaded lean spikes again...well since i've not seen your dyno chart - I won't argue that you have per se. Certainly, i've seen/heard of lean spikes being generated by so many things...especially the time delta for fuel and nitrous lines to flow to the noids - had a nice converation with Gerald at FJO recently on just that subject but that's another thing all together and still not too big a deal...my dyno chart doesn't show lean spikes with my progressive unit. None at all. Zip - zilch - notta one.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:21 AM
9 Second Club

Oh **** - the dreaded lean spikes again...well since i've not seen your dyno chart - I won't argue that you have per se. Certainly, i've seen/heard of lean spikes being generated by so many things...especially the time delta for fuel and nitrous lines to flow to the noids - had a nice converation with Gerald at FJO recently on just that subject but that's another thing all together and still not too big a deal...my dyno chart doesn't show lean spikes with my progressive unit. None at all. Zip - zilch - notta one.

There is more to tuning a N20 car then a wideband on a dynojet

Maybe if you had a WB in every hole you would see the "dreaded lean spikes" but since you have 1 for all 8 and it averages them out you MAY not see it.

Just something to think about, good luck with that 10 second monster
Old 05-26-2007, 11:05 AM
9 Second Club

So glad I can bring such a good topic up so sounds like the FJO is the best progressive controller. Which two step contoller is everybody using then? And going to a 200 shot or a 250 shot. Sounds like you need a stand alone tank to get the most out of your car right
Old 05-27-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Robert56
A man who truly knows, check out his time in sig.
Robert
Not saying i know anything im sure progreessors can work great with the right setup but I like to keep it simple.

I love the old FJO 2 stage crontroller. decide before the run what it can take turn both switches on and let her eat. some times ill set both stages up leave the 2nd one of on a arm switch then shift 2nd tap the 2nd switch on. it works well for traction limited surfaces. if its hooked up sooner hit it sooner. but i got a glide so im shifting just before the 1/8 with my th400 i had to wait for the shift around the 60' mark.

The new one is ok but i have seen it reset and loose the settings. i have never had an issue with the old one where you usb it to the laptop. we have them on 4 cars and never an issue.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

See ATV's ;post i couldn't have said it better.

also think about sample rate. if a dyno jet pull takes ~2 seconds. than how much data can it collect? now on a mustang dyno the top gear pull take ~5 seconds or more it has way more data for the same rpm range. so you spend more time at each rpm and can tune for a presise moment more than an avg of a rpm window. like i said they can work well but depending on distance from noids to valves it can be a varied lean spike.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dnkynrbk
So glad I can bring such a good topic up so sounds like the FJO is the best progressive controller. Which two step contoller is everybody using then? And going to a 200 shot or a 250 shot. Sounds like you need a stand alone tank to get the most out of your car right
there are good and bad of both a stand alone fuel or drawing from the same tank. id say the cheeper and easyer way would be a 2nd tank.

I draw with 1 pump from 1 tank.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
There is more to tuning a N20 car then a wideband on a dynojet

Maybe if you had a WB in every hole you would see the "dreaded lean spikes" but since you have 1 for all 8 and it averages them out you MAY not see it.

Just something to think about, good luck with that 10 second monster
Of course there are lean spikes. Yes there is more to tuning than a dyno and oxygen sensor and yes there's always someone out there with a faster car and a shittier attitude who knows it all.

See ATV's ;post i couldn't have said it better.

also think about sample rate. if a dyno jet pull takes ~2 seconds. than how much data can it collect? now on a mustang dyno the top gear pull take ~5 seconds or more it has way more data for the same rpm range. so you spend more time at each rpm and can tune for a presise moment more than an avg of a rpm window. like i said they can work well but depending on distance from noids to valves it can be a varied lean spike.
They exist - lots of things exist - but I have to work with what I have to work with. I can't and won't get all worked up about minor or sometimes an occasional lean spike. I have bigger fish to fry in my 10 sec monster .
Old 05-28-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Of course there are lean spikes. Yes there is more to tuning than a dyno and oxygen sensor and yes there's always someone out there with a faster car and a shittier attitude who knows it all.

They exist - lots of things exist - but I have to work with what I have to work with. I can't and won't get all worked up about minor or sometimes an occasional lean spike. I have bigger fish to fry in my 10 sec monster .
Don't get all bent out of shape i just gave the guy my opinon. its up to him to decide which opinion he likes . make sure you post when those lean spikes wear the motor out
Old 05-28-2007, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Don't get all bent out of shape i just gave the guy my opinon. its up to him to decide which opinion he likes . make sure you post when those lean spikes wear the motor out
Wow a truth - this is all OPINION!! My opinion is that I don't freak out at every single little individual lean spike and many people here do. In a perfect world everything is dead on. My hunch is that we don't live in a perfect world. Me get bent out of shape - not a chance. Just like to stand my ground for a while. is over for me.

Quick Reply: To run a progressive controller or not.