Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure gauge

I'm getting rid of my useless air to fuel ratio gauge and picking up a fuel pressure gauge but have a couple questions.

I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money so I may have to go with a mechanical fuel pressure gauge. Is this even possible to have in a gauge pod in the interior of my car? I don't think I want a braided hose filled with fuel inside my car. Do people do this? Or do they only go with electrical for gauge pods?

How is a mechanical one installed? How about an electrical one?

I see that are 0 - 15 psi, 0 - 100 psi, and on a meter from 0 - 1.0. Which one do I need?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

I would not reccomend putting a mechanical fuel guage in the interior since if there is a leak there will be fuel spraying inside the car.

Mechanical and electrical are installed basically the same way. Mechanical the fuel goes through a fitting into the guage for a reading, and electrical the fuel goes into/through a similar fitting with a pressure transducer that provides an electrical signal to the guage.

I'm not sure what the 0-1 guage is for but the 0-15 is typically for carbuerated engines and a 0-100 for efi.

If you are spraying the car I would reccomend keeping the A/F guage so you can see if the car starts to run lean under the spray.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by turkey
I would not reccomend putting a mechanical fuel guage in the interior since if there is a leak there will be fuel spraying inside the car.

Mechanical and electrical are installed basically the same way. Mechanical the fuel goes through a fitting into the guage for a reading, and electrical the fuel goes into/through a similar fitting with a pressure transducer that provides an electrical signal to the guage.

I'm not sure what the 0-1 guage is for but the 0-15 is typically for carbuerated engines and a 0-100 for efi.

If you are spraying the car I would reccomend keeping the A/F guage so you can see if the car starts to run lean under the spray.
I have no plans on sending the A/F gauge to wideband so currently it is pretty much pointless. It's just an annoying lights display. If at WOT, the gauge pinpoints a particular reading but I drive this car everyday and am hardly at WOT.

I knew how the actual gauge works but I meant, how are they installed? I assume they are just tapped into one of the fuel rails?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, taps right in the front where the shrader valve is. Or T'd off the fuel line going to the Fuel noid.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
Yes, taps right in the front where the shrader valve is. Or T'd off the fuel line going to the Fuel noid.
I have a dry kit. The driver side fuel rail has a fuel pressure safety switch. I assume there are no disadvantages of going with the passenger side?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

None what so ever. Good luck with the set-up. Ken